champions league quali. round

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

champions league quali. round

Postby blue wine » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:23 am

next saison after getting 4th..we will have to qualify for the CL. would be typical city if we fail at the first hurdle! :-)
didnt everton lose a few years ago?
they might be some strong teams in those rounds..

does anyone know what teams we could come up against?
blue wine
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: swp

Re: champions league quali. round

Postby dazby » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:29 am

Heerenveen.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Knappe » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:43 am

from Germany. Bayern München, Schalke 04 or Bayer Leverkusen
Die Nummer 1 im Pott sind wir
Knappe
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Schalke04

Postby john@staustell » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:51 am

Jumping guns, tempting fate etc etc
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Vhero » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:53 am

Meh we would be a lot stronger by that point though as no doubt if we made 4th we would get some better players thanks to the lure of champions league along with nice wage packets :)
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby john@staustell » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:03 am

To answer the question I think we will have too much quality by then. Everton are a strange bunch. Whilst constantly punching above their weight they are also capable of going out and getting slammed by piss poor Portugues sides, or anyone in the Premier. They can be candidates for 4th or 5th, or equally fighting relegation - all with the same manager and players. The lack of quality is sometimes found out.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Esky » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:22 am

john@staustell wrote:To answer the question I think we will have too much quality by then. Everton are a strange bunch. Whilst constantly punching above their weight they are also capable of going out and getting slammed by piss poor Portugues sides, or anyone in the Premier. They can be candidates for 4th or 5th, or equally fighting relegation - all with the same manager and players. The lack of quality is sometimes found out.

Not doubting that at all but when they did make the CL qualifying rounds they drew Villareal. Hardly an easy tie. Still, there can't be any excuses really - what's the point of playing Champions League football if you're going to complain about coming up against the best.
Esky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Blue Ship

Postby CityFanFromRome » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:24 am

john@staustell wrote:To answer the question I think we will have too much quality by then. Everton are a strange bunch. Whilst constantly punching above their weight they are also capable of going out and getting slammed by piss poor Portugues sides, or anyone in the Premier. They can be candidates for 4th or 5th, or equally fighting relegation - all with the same manager and players. The lack of quality is sometimes found out.

While this is true it is also true that nowadays the teams in the qualif. round are quite strong, and facing teams of the calibre of Atletico Madrid, Juventus, one of the German sides mentioned before, is never easy, no matter how much quality you have.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:50 am

CityFanFromRome wrote:

While this is true it is also true that nowadays the teams in the qualif. round are quite strong, and facing teams of the calibre of Atletico Madrid, Juventus, one of the German sides mentioned before, is never easy, no matter how much quality you have.

If we're going to do a proper job in the competition we have to be able to beat these teams though. Tough games for sure but our usual 4th place teams seem to deal with it almost every year, often without breaking sweat. If we're genuine about being a top side we need the same mentality.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby CityFanFromRome » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:00 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
CityFanFromRome wrote:

If we're going to do a proper job in the competition we have to be able to beat these teams though. Tough games for sure but our usual 4th place teams seem to deal with it almost every year, often without breaking sweat. If we're genuine about being a top side we need the same mentality.

Yeah of course you're right I was just saying that it won't be as easy as a walk in the park, we need to be well focused and we won't have troubles. But let's get fourth spot first, eh? ;)
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby mr_nool » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:12 pm

Isn't there some sort of seeding in the qualification round? I'm sure teams for lesser leagues get to play more qualification rounds as well, or am I totally off track?
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:24 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
CityFanFromRome wrote:

Yeah of course you're right I was just saying that it won't be as easy as a walk in the park, we need to be well focused and we won't have troubles. But let's get fourth spot first, eh? ;)

err.. lets start with a convincing performace against Sunderland please..

oh and btw.. stress not about rounds of qualifications etc, confirmed itk says we will win CL in 1st attempt, just concentrate on partying bretheren
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:26 pm

Lets just get there first before we start thinking who were gonna get.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby BlueinBosnia » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:46 pm

mr_nool wrote:Isn't there some sort of seeding in the qualification round? I'm sure teams for lesser leagues get to play more qualification rounds as well, or am I totally off track?

In the non-champions' route, it's 10 teams vying for 5 places, 5 seeded and 5 unseeded. When I worked it out at the start of the season, our UEFA coefficient would probably have us placed 4th to 6th in the ranking of these teams, meaning it would be possible we were unseeded, therefore probably playing a decent team. Seeded teams this season were:

Arsenal
Lyon
Stuttgart
Sporting Lisbon
Panathanaikos

Atletico Madrid and Fiorentina managed to defeat Panathanaikos and Lisbon respectively. Even European ever-presents Anderlecht and Celtic were unseeded, so we're largely relying on the strength of the Premiership to give us enough points to be seeded.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby lets all have a disco » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:50 pm

Jinxed it now,just like before the Semi Finals.

Allllllllllllllllllllllll those threads about how everyone was getting down there,begging for tickets etc.

Everytime.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Return to The Maine Football forum