Thursday's B*ll*x

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Thursday's B*ll*x

Postby Chinners » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:55 am

Sunderland relishing Manchester City game says Anton Ferdinand
Sunderland defender Anton Ferdinand is setting his sights on denting Manchester City's bid for Champions League football and easing his own club's fears of falling into the Championship.
Ferdinand's team will face high-flying Man City on Sunday at the Stadium of Light and he is confident Sunderland will build on the 4-0 hammering of Bolton that ended a three-month winless streak in the Premier League.
“That was an absolutely massive win and getting the win takes some of the pressure off a little bit, but we need to win more matches,” Ferdinand said.
“If we can carry this into the Man City and Birmingham games, the table could like quite a bit different after them. But we have to take each game as it comes and, if we play like we did today, I don't see us having any problems.
“I've been in much worse situations than this. When I was at West Ham, we had to go to Manchester United on the last day of the season and win to stay in the Premier League.
“Situations don't get much more difficult than that, but we survived and got ourselves out of it. This was never anything like that. I don't think we were ever in a crisis. It would be naïve to think that we're not in a dogfight, and that still applies, but we were never in a crisis and if we continue to play like that, we won't be.
“It's just back to work. We're obviously happy to get that win under our belts because it's been a long time coming, but I wouldn't say it's a feeling of relief because we always knew it was going to come.
“The belief is the squad is unreal. Maybe it was hard to see that belief in the last couple of games before that, but in training the belief running through the lads has been second to none.
"That's thanks to the gaffer and the lads as a whole. We got ourselves into gear against Fulham and played the game in the way it should be played.”
A hat-trick from England World Cup hopeful Darren Bent earned Sunderland their first win in 15 top-flight games and Ferdinand was full of praise for his colleague and fellow striker Kenwyne Jones.
“This just showed what a great striker he is, not only in terms of his goals, but also in his work off the ball and his work to bring other people into the team,” Ferdinand added.
“Him and Kenwyne were the heartbeat of our team. The way they played got all the rest of us up for the game. Kenwyne was unplayable at times as well, and when Kenwyne is like that, it helps Benty and brings other people into the game, and gets other people chances. Hopefully, that will continue.
“Darren is right up there with any other striker in the Premier League.
His record in the Premier League shows that, it's incredible really.
He's up there with the best, but it's not just about the goals, it's his all-round game. It's coming together, and he's coming together as a pair with Kenwyne, which is nice to see.
“It's like everyone who's English and has a chance of getting into that World Cup squad, all they have to do is keep playing well for their club. If they do that, you can't ignore people who are doing well.”
Ferdinand, nominally a centre-half, has helped shore up the Sunderland defence in recent weeks by playing in an unfamiliar left-back role but the former West Ham player is just happy to help out.
“It's nice that I can add something to the side, and we've got two clean sheets in the last two matches,” Ferdinand said.
“It's nice that I've been part of that backline that's got the two clean sheets. I think for most of the clean sheets this season, I've been part of that backline, which is a nice stat for me. But it's not just me and it's not just the defence, it's the whole team.
“When the whole team is clicking together, that's when we get our clean sheets. I just have to keep playing well, and as I've said on many occasions, I'll play anywhere for this club and I'll give 100 per cent.
“I said after the Fulham game (that finished 0-0) that at that point in time, we were either doing well at the back and not scoring goals or scoring goals and not keeping clean sheets. We needed to bring it together and we did that here.
“Some of the attacking was as good as it has been all season. We showed glimpses of what we were like at the start of the season. But that's only one game. We have to try to maintain that for as long as possible.”

Capello: Man City better for replacing Hughes with Mancini
Fabio Capello believes Manchester City were correct to replace Mark Hughes with Roberto Mancini.
The England coach says Mancini has brought a new confidence to City's player.
"Mancini is an Italian manager and he is working very well. The results are good. I hope he will realise the ambitions of the owner," said Mancini. "He changed a lot, the style from Mark Hughes is very different. Now I think the team has more confidence and they can beat every team. I was there and Chelsea was a really important game for all the players. Beating Chelsea away is not easy for the best team in the world. Yes, they can reach the top four."

TRANSFER BOLLOX
Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole is set to quit the club on a free transfer in the summer. The Blues have reportedly offered him a one-year extension, incorporating a 40% pay-cut, to his current deal which expires at the end of the season. Daily Star

Brazilian midfielder Sandro is preparing himself for a £6m summer move to Tottenham from current club Internacionale by learning English. Daily Mirror

Tottenham are sounding out clubs in Belgium about taking Zambian left-back Emmanuel Mbola on loan after the London club agreed a £1m deal to sign the teenager from Armenian club Yerevan. Daily Mirror

Celtic are keen to recruit Arsenal striker Jay Simpson for next season after watching him in action for QPR, where he is on loan for the season. Daily Mirror

Bayern Munich midfielder Franck Ribery, who is a target for the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea and Real Madrid, says he will resolve his future before the summer. imscouting.com

Birmingham City and Wolves are both trailing Crystal Palace full-back Nathaniel Clyne. Daily Mirror

Everton hit man James Vaughan is joining Leicester City's promotion push - to the fury of Championship rivals Derby County, who had the striker on loan earlier this season and had hoped to re-sign him. Daily Mirror

Fulham striker Erik Nevland will leave the club on a free transfer at the end of this season to join his former team Viking Stavanger. Daily Express

BABE OF THE DAY
http://uk.stars.ign.com/objects/913/913 ... raphy.html

OTHER BOLLOX
Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson has challenged striker Wayne Rooney to beat former United winger Cristiano Ronaldo's United goal record of 42 during the 2007/08 season. The England man took his tally to 30 for the season with a brace in United's 4-0 Champions League win over Milan on Wednesday. The Sun

England boss Fabio Capello says Rooney is one of the three best players in the world; putting the striker on a par with Barcelona's Argentine forward Lionel Messi and Real Madrid's Portuguese winger Cristiano Ronaldo. The Sun

Arsenal defender Sol Campbell, who started the season playing for League Two side Notts County, is eyeing a shock re-call to the England side. The Sun

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has called a crisis meeting of his players in an attempt to stamp out the discord that threatens the very fabric of the club. In recent weeks, the Spanish coach has been dismayed by what he sees as "negative body language" from his players as they struggle to keep themselves in the race for a top-four finish. Daily Mirror

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson, who enjoyed managerial spells with Udinese and Inter Milan prior to taking over at Craven Cottage, has admitted he would like to coach again in Italy before the end of his career. Daily Mirror

The backlash towards Real Madrid coach Manuel Pellegrini has begun following the club's Champions League exit at the hands of Lyon on Wednesday. The front page of Madrid based newspaper Marca this morning says "Adio Champions, Adios Pellegrini. Fuera" which translates as "Goodbye Champions [League], Goodbye Pellegrini. Out." imscouting.com

Former Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink has agreed to manage Ivory Coast at this summer's World Cup in South Africa - providing he can negotiate an early release from his contract as Russia coach, which runs until mid-July. After the World Cup, Hiddink will take over as coach of Turkey. Daily Mail

Newcastle stars like Alan Smith and Kevin Nolan will be asked to take a pay cut if the Magpies win promotion to the Premier League because they are still on lucrative contracts handed to them prior to the club's relegation from the top flight last season. Daily Mirror

more later ....
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Re: Thursday's B*ll*x

Postby btajim » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:25 am

Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole is set to quit the club on a free transfer in the summer. The Blues have reportedly offered him a one-year extension, incorporating a 40% pay-cut, to his current deal which expires at the end of the season. Daily Star

I know money is no object - but Joe Cole on a free is most definitely worth a punt, IMHO.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Chinners » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:20 am

btajim wrote:

I know money is no object - but Joe Cole on a free is most definitely worth a punt, IMHO.

Spot on. A freebie that may only play 15-20 matches next season but would be worth it .... especially if we spawn a Chumps league spot
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Mase » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 am

Anton Ferdinand is still a footballer???
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby mr_nool » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 am

Chinners wrote:
btajim wrote:

Spot on. A freebie that may only play 15-20 matches next season but would be worth it .... especially if we spawn a Chumps league spot

If we don't pick him up, one of our direct competitors will. And he'll make any squad stronger...
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Bingo Lewis » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:24 am

Chinners wrote:
btajim wrote:

He should be priority signing IMO. Especially coz he's on a free.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby craigmcfc » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:31 am

btajim wrote:

Spot on, lets hope Cook is beavering away behind the scenes already to make this happen
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:45 am

Bingo Lewis wrote:
Chinners wrote:
btajim wrote:

I just get the feeling he's got 'rag' written all over him & he'll end up there. Don't know why as he's never offended me.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Vhero » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:47 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Bingo Lewis wrote:
Chinners wrote:
btajim wrote:

I just get the feeling he's got 'rag' written all over him & he'll end up there. Don't know why as he's never offended me.

I do mate especially if they don't make the final of the champions league as they will need to sell a couple of players to stay afloat and a free transfer like that would help them a lot, and as much as I hate to say it they got a bigger lure than we have right now.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:52 pm

Good job you guys aren't our manager then.Maybe the reason Cole isn't getting a new contract at Chelsea is that he isn't good enough anymore? Just a thought:)
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby btajim » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:54 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Good job you guys aren't our manager then.Maybe the reason Cole isn't getting a new contract at Chelsea is that he isn't good enough anymore? Just a thought:)

I disagree. Joe Cole has still got it.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Vhero » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:56 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Good job you guys aren't our manager then.Maybe the reason Cole isn't getting a new contract at Chelsea is that he isn't good enough anymore? Just a thought:)

They offered him anew contract just at 40% less. Probably because they already gave him a lucrative contract once and he sat on a hospital bed for most of it.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby ronk » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:20 am

btajim wrote:

I disagree. Joe Cole has still got it.

He's free to talk to other clubs, he's probably already done a deal.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Return to The Maine Football forum