Hard going from now on, says boss

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Hard going from now on, says boss

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:56 pm

For Roberto Mancini, the phrase "there are no easy games anymore" could have been written for City's quest to qualify for the Champions League.

After a fortnight's hiatus following that superb win over Chelsea, the Blues now begin the final 11 games of the season with Aston Villa, Liverpool and Spurs also within touching distance of the coveted fourth place in the Barclays Premier League table.

That sequence of matches starts with a visit to the Stadium of Light on Sunday, but the Manager is expecting anything but an easy ride against a side undoubtedly buoyed by a 4-0 win at home over Bolton earlier this week.

"Now is a vital time for us. There are 11 games to go but it's important that we look back to how we played last time, especially how we kept our concentration against Chelsea. We will need that, but we defended very well against them and that's what I want for the rest of the season.

"There will be no such thing as an easy game for the rest of the season - they just don't exist! Every one of these last 11 games will be difficult.

"We have to really want to reach that fourth place, and show that in the way we play each game, starting on Sunday. That's the reason for everything we will do now for the rest of this season. We have a lot of experienced, international players who will be important but all our players will need to play a big part.

"We have a good chance, we have
games in hand over Tottenham and
Liverpool, but it all depends on us. It
won't be easy, so we'll have to keep
our focus every time we play."

"Only the next game matters for now, and going to Sunderland is going to be difficult. They will be feeling good after beating Bolton the other night."

City have a good record on Sunderland's home turf, and Mancini is excited about another game that will have lots riding on it for both sides. That's an aspect of the English game he has taken to, adding:

"All the games here are difficult, and there is always something to play for. In Italy sometimes there were games where it almost didn't matter, but I have found that's not what it is like here, and I like that. Grounds are full, it's noisy, it's exciting and for that I think that English football is beautiful. If you are not at 100% for every game, you are at risk because you know that the other team will be."

Apart from the suspended Emmanuel Adebayor and the injured Martin Petrov, Mancini has a full hand to choose from this weekend.

mcfc.co.uk
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Hard going from now on, says boss

Postby brite blu sky » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:25 pm

I think Bobby has said this now at 3 times. But obviously he is right, not only our direct competitors for a 4th spot but also the relegation battlers to deal with. I have been thinking for a while, this is why teams such as Villa and Spuds appear to fade off during the run-in, it just gets tougher.. so you have to be in good shape and improving just to hold the position you are in. Fortunately City appear to be very slowly improving under Mancini, so that is good timing.
Rags and Arse also seem to be getting it together.. and lo and behold just at the right time to grab the title. Chelsea are having continued problems and i wouldn't be surprised to see them drop an away game soon.

But thats it, every game becomes seriously crucial, drop one and you could well be out of the running
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby btajim » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:30 pm

My concern is that we're the least experienced Club in the battle for Top 4. Liverpool, Villa and Tottenham have been there and thereabouts in recent seasons.

-Villa faded last season but may now learn from their mistakes.
-Liverpool have the threat of Torres and Gerrard that we don't.
-Tottenham are scoring Goals for fun and playing with confidence.

It's in our own hands but we have both Villa and Tottenham to come at home - although we've beaten Arsenal and Chelsea at The COMS already.

I think we'll finish 5th.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby brite blu sky » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:36 pm

btajim wrote:My concern is that we're the least experienced Club in the battle for Top 4. Liverpool, Villa and Tottenham have been there and thereabouts in recent seasons.

It's in our own hands but we have both Villa and Tottenham to come at home - although we've beaten Arsenal and Chelsea at The COMS already.

well, we only have the league to concentrate on and i am convinced that we are just about improving. I think that we will surprise people and have a really strong run-in

there ive said it !
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby btajim » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:40 pm

brite blu sky wrote:well, we only have the league to concentrate on and i am convinced that we are just about improving. I think that we will surprise people and have a really strong run-in

there ive said it !

The momentum of a Cup run can inspire confidence and League form. If Villa are playing and winning then they'll get in to a rhythm of doing so.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby brite blu sky » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:59 pm

btajim wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:well, we only have the league to concentrate on and i am convinced that we are just about improving. I think that we will surprise people and have a really strong run-in

there ive said it !

The momentum of a Cup run can inspire confidence and League form. If Villa are playing and winning then they'll get in to a rhythm of doing so.

well lets see how they do against Stoke and us against Sunderland.

tbh i though Spuds would be the one's to watch for, cos last year for the first time since forever they didn't fade. If they hadn't had such an appalling start they would have probs got 4th or even nicked 3rd. I think that experience will stand them in good stead.
our games v Spurs and Villa are going to be hyped as big big games with a lot to play for.
Still think we have the slightest of edges though

exciting times
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:16 pm

btajim wrote:My concern is that we're the least experienced Club in the battle for Top 4. Liverpool, Villa and Tottenham have been there and thereabouts in recent seasons.

The only time Liverpool have actually had to battle for top 4 was v Everton a few years ago. They lost. The other two have no experience of it & imo are nowhere near as good as us if we play to our capabilities.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby btajim » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:42 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:The only time Liverpool have actually had to battle for top 4 was v Everton a few years ago. They lost. The other two have no experience of it & imo are nowhere near as good as us if we play to our capabilities.

But Liverpool have been Top 4 ever since I can remember and thusly have the experience of getting through a season without running out of steam. They'll be especially motivated because non-qualification for Champions League is unthinkable for Liverpool.
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby john68 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:43 pm

I hesitate to state the bleeding obvious but every game of the season is a MUST WIN game in our present situation.

At the bottom of the league teams win fewer games so it's only towards the end of the season when points are needed to avoid relegation that must win games are played. In the middle of the table, there are few if any must win games...But at the top where your nearest rivals lose fewer, every game becomes important, just to keep pace.

As I said,,,bleeding obvious.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby The Man In Blue » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:46 pm

could work in our favour though - huge pressure on the dippers, also villa and spurs will have the memories of recent failed attempts at the back of their collective minds.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby btajim » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:56 pm

The Man In Blue wrote:could work in our favour though - huge pressure on the dippers, also villa and spurs will have the memories of recent failed attempts at the back of their collective minds.

We need all 3 of those Clubs to not get better results than us by the end of the season.

Some people are forgetting that we finished 10th last season. Personally, I don't think 5th this season and then 3rd/4th the next is anything to be ashamed of. It's progression. Although I'm not sure the Board will think the same way!
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:56 pm

btajim wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:The only time Liverpool have actually had to battle for top 4 was v Everton a few years ago. They lost. The other two have no experience of it & imo are nowhere near as good as us if we play to our capabilities.

But Liverpool have been Top 4 ever since I can remember and thusly have the experience of getting through a season without running out of steam. They'll be especially motivated because non-qualification for Champions League is unthinkable for Liverpool.

I know but what I mean is that they've rarely been under pressure to fight for their position & when they did come under pressure they blew it. They had the ball in their court when we drew that game against them, with a comfortable run in & Torres/Gerrard coming back they had it all for the taking but have looked nowhere near it
I wonder if our games v Villa & Spurs will be the deciders, assuming all 3 of us will drop the odd bollock in other games, those '6 pointers' could decide it.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby btajim » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:59 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:I wonder if our games v Villa & Spurs will be the deciders, assuming all 3 of us will drop the odd bollock in other games, those '6 pointers' could decide it.

I think they will be. As I've said before, we've beaten Arsenal and Chelsea at Home and held Liverpool. We've also beaten both Arsenal and Man Ure in the Cups. But don't forget Arsenal Away, either...

Sunderland, Burnley and West Ham Away are also vital. 7 points, please.
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby The Man In Blue » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:04 pm

btajim wrote:
The Man In Blue wrote:could work in our favour though - huge pressure on the dippers, also villa and spurs will have the memories of recent failed attempts at the back of their collective minds.

We need all 3 of those Clubs to not get better results than us by the end of the season.

equally though, and perhaps more so they need us to fuck up. it is 100% in our hands right now mate.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby cityPinoy_fc » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:06 pm

pretty much what you said is right but spurs are the opposite of us pretty good against weaker teams useless against big teams. i'm pretty confident we'll finish 4th.
[center]What would happen if pacman meets ferguson?
WHO THE F*** ARE MAN UNITED!!!!![/center]
cityPinoy_fc
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:10 pm

btajim wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:I wonder if our games v Villa & Spurs will be the deciders, assuming all 3 of us will drop the odd bollock in other games, those '6 pointers' could decide it.

I think they will be. As I've said before, we've beaten Arsenal and Chelsea at Home and held Liverpool. We've also beaten both Arsenal and Man Ure in the Cups. But don't forget Arsenal Away, either...

Sunderland, Burnley and West Ham Away are also vital. 7 points, please.

IF we could reproduce our 2nd half performance from Chelsea we'd 'do' Arsenal, like the rags did (IF) but some of those lesser teams will sit back & try to make it difficult for us, seeing a point as on ok result. We'll need to impose ourselves & get that 1st goal before we can counter attack like we did at the Bridge. We haven't looked great recently when trying to break down defences.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john68 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:11 pm

To say we have no experience of this type of pressue is not true. Though the club may not have been in this position we now have many in our ranks that have, witrh other clubs.
Our squad is pretty experienced in this scenario.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Original Dub » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:56 pm

What we need is a run like we went on for the last 8 games of the season under Pearce. We can do it, tomorrow will tell us everything we need to know about this squad IMO.
Original Dub

Postby brite blu sky » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:19 pm

john68 wrote:To say we have no experience of this type of pressue is not true. Though the club may not have been in this position we now have many in our ranks that have, witrh other clubs.
Our squad is pretty experienced in this scenario.

i was thinking exactly that, when someone in this thread was on about lack of experience.

to boot as well, our current manager also has experience of what run-ins are all about.

any culture is defined by leaders.. city is made for measure for those who want it to step up, unless our players are stupid they should see that quite clearly.
personally i am expecting to see some performances in the next few games...
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:40 pm

I think the team play better when they are under pressure and now they've got something to aim for.

The Boys can do it, keep the faith!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum