Craig Gordon

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Craig Gordon

Postby King Kev » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:20 pm

Best goalkeeping display I have seen for quite some time... and he's Scottish!!
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: Craig Gordon

Postby craigmcfc » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:22 pm

He had a good game but the majority of shots were straight at him and a couple he knew nothing about. Decent performance, no more no less
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:23 pm

He played well but it was one of those days when it went for him.That late shot by Bellers that deflected onto his foot summed it up.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby CitizenYank » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:37 pm

I thought he was a bit overrated. Announcers acted like he was the second coming of Gordon Banks.
He should have received that yellow card for delay of game WAY earlier.
Never touch the clowns. Let the clowns touch you!
CitizenYank
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City, P Timbers

Postby sandman » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:50 pm

Average Keeper who had a good day, I think he desevres the credit he was getting today as he made a few fine saves and kept the Mackems in it.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Grob » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

He made no reflex saves, the ball just kept hitting him.

If any of the 4 or 5 chances that went straight at him had gone either side of him we'd have been in a winning position at some point this afternoon.

Fair does for being positionally aware though, Gordans a reasonable goalie, Sunderland level.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby zuricity » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:24 pm

Agree woth Grob here.

Gordon got lucky today.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:36 pm

zuricity wrote:Agree woth Grob here.

Gordon got lucky today.

How many times did he get lucky? Once is lucky, twice is a coincidence, but not giving him credit for about 8-10 stops is what I would call ignorance.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:44 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:

Gordon got lucky today.

How many times did he get lucky? Once is lucky, twice is a coincidence, but not giving him credit for about 8-10 stops is what I would call ignorance.

mate he was a fuclin statue for 90% of those saves. Look, some keepers might have found a way to make a meal of those, but he only made 1-2 saves that weren't based on him being rooted to his spot and the ball hitting him.

It was shite finishing from City that made him look impressive. He's not that great of a goalie. We made him look above average, and he's average.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby King Kev » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:53 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:

Gordon got lucky today.

Well said Beefy. How you can be 'lucky' so many times in one match is beyond me!

A big part of goalkeeping is positioning, if you are in the right place you don't have to make a spectacular save as the ball will probably hit you.

It's something that Kasper was very good at and didn't get enough praise for IMO.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Wooders » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:11 pm

the lords of football were smiling on him today, he just seemed to be in the right place every time
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby ross.mcfc » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:26 pm

I got to laugh at some of the comments in this thread. The ball just hit him??? He’s the goal keeper it’s his job to ensure the ball hits him and not go in the net. I’ve seen him do it to many times at International level for it just to be his lucky day.

The difference between Shay Given and Joe Hart is the ball hits Shay Given and doesn’t bounce to another opposition player as it often would with Hart.

The save Given made from Fletchers header just before the Rooney goal just hit him, it was one of the best saves I have ever seen. Something that was widely agreed on here.

Gordons a good keeper, proven at International level as a match winner and now getting the recognition he deserves. What is impossible to tell is like most keepers that look good at club level then struggle when they player for England or move to a top side is what is he like when he is only asked to make one big save a game.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Goataldo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:34 pm

Whether you're a 'keeper, a striker, a midfielder or a defender, the difference between having a goodish game and being motm, is very often just whether things go for you. I thought Gordon was head and shoulders motm today. Fair play to him, he got peppered and it took something extremely special to beat him, intended or not. I'd like to think Jinky meant it though!
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Postby shawzy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:49 pm

uwe's_skyblue_duvet wrote:Whether you're a 'keeper, a striker, a midfielder or a defender, the difference between having a goodish game and being motm, is very often just whether things go for you. I thought Gordon was head and shoulders motm today. Fair play to him, he got peppered and it took something extremely special to beat him, intended or not. I'd like to think Jinky meant it though!

Course he meant it.Brilliant piece of skill and aimed for the top corner.

Thought Gordon had a stormer.Fought like lion and made himself big in goal.
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Postby Goataldo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:58 pm

shawzy wrote:
uwe's_skyblue_duvet wrote:Whether you're a 'keeper, a striker, a midfielder or a defender, the difference between having a goodish game and being motm, is very often just whether things go for you. I thought Gordon was head and shoulders motm today. Fair play to him, he got peppered and it took something extremely special to beat him, intended or not. I'd like to think Jinky meant it though!

Course he meant it.Brilliant piece of skill and aimed for the top corner.

Thought Gordon had a stormer.Fought like lion and made himself big in goal.

I think you're right. In fact each time i've watched it, it looks more deliberate. Absolutely fantastic strike. What an impact he made in a few mins too; intstantly threatening and ultimately bagged us a point.
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Postby Nick » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:49 pm

craigmcfc wrote:He had a good game but the majority of shots were straight at him and a couple he knew nothing about. Decent performance, no more no less
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby The Man In Blue » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:06 am

he was like a turd which however many times you try to flush it, floats back to the top.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:39 am

ross.mcfc wrote:I got to laugh at some of the comments in this thread. The ball just hit him??? He’s the goal keeper it’s his job to ensure the ball hits him and not go in the net. I’ve seen him do it to many times at International level for it just to be his lucky day.

The difference between Shay Given and Joe Hart is the ball hits Shay Given and doesn’t bounce to another opposition player as it often would with Hart.

The save Given made from Fletchers header just before the Rooney goal just hit him, it was one of the best saves I have ever seen. Something that was widely agreed on here.

Gordons a good keeper, proven at International level as a match winner and now getting the recognition he deserves. What is impossible to tell is like most keepers that look good at club level then struggle when they player for England or move to a top side is what is he like when he is only asked to make one big save a game.

i think yr enjoying the home cooking a little too much dude. he wasn't that impressive in my mind. I'll go back and watch the match again tomorrow, but most of those shots on goal had a Vassell-like topped-ball quality to them.

Still, look, he made the saves, and did his job. He was surely MOTM. Take nothing away from what he got done today, because the scoreline doesn't lie. i just don't think he's that impressive. We made him look much better than he is. And he didn't have to work very hard. Maybe that's a great thing in your eyes, but had we put a bit of quality behind a few of those attempts we'd have leathered them today. And yes i know...my auntie with bollocks is my uncle, etc.

just my 2 cents. Does no one see it in that fashion? Am i the lone wolf here? Maybe i'm high...i should get another drink maybe, i dunno.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby dazby » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:14 am

A striker does the same thing though. They take a pot shot and it misses everyone and goes in the top corner. On another day, it hits the post and goes straight to the opposition.

Today Gordon had his day in the sun. Shame it happenned against us but what can you do.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:36 am

I'd rather have a lucky goalie than a good one.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum