Is SWP worth a new contract?.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Is SWP worth a new contract?.

Postby gillie » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:17 pm

Well guys have your say on this please.My take on it is the way he playing at the moment it's a good job his contract is not up in the summer as he would not get another.
Last edited by gillie on Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Re: Is SWP worth a new contract?.

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:25 pm

I saw him beaten in a race back by Micah today. He's either struggling with his physical abilities or his desire. Either way his inspirational performances are getting fewer & fewer at a time when the squad is getting stronger & stronger & he's getting older. Needs some big performances even to be considered an important player for next season imo.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby halnone » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:25 pm

I don't think he's worth a new contract but I think he should get one...lol that doesn't make sense does it.
halnone
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby the_georgian_genius » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:34 pm

His main attribute is pace.

He's got a terrible first touch, he can't beat a man anymore.

He's got two years left on his current contract, that will take him to 30. He's not going to get any better.

So no he isn't worth a new contract, he is worth keeping to the end of his current contract though but as it stands at the minute, he's not even an guaranteed starter for us at the minute.
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Grob » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:33 am

He would be a good squad player for a top side for the next 2/3 seasons which is hopefully our next stop as a football club.

Maybe a 1 year extension and a performance based salary increase?
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby dazby » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:08 am

Form is temporary, class is permanent. Swp is class. 80k easy to take him to 32. Sorted. Watch the goals go in then.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby HeyMark » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:12 am

dazby wrote:Form is temporary, class is permanent. Swp is class. 80k easy to take him to 32. Sorted. Watch the goals go in then.

If he only starts banging the goals in once he gets 80k a week then I dont want him near our club, he should be trying to earn his extra money, not start performing once he gets it. How fucking stupid
HeyMark
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Kladze » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:24 am

A player has a dip in form at City and we can't wait to have a go at him eh?

Oh well, while SWP and RSC are kopping the bile someone else is getting an easier time I suppose.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby avoidconfusion » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:26 am

dazby wrote:Form is temporary, class is permanent. Swp is class. 80k easy to take him to 32. Sorted. Watch the goals go in then.

I dunno about that.... Ireland's form has been abysmal ever since he got that new contract... might be coincidence...
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion

My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby Wooders » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:30 am

I think he's losing the tools that made him such a threat, i.e pace and trickery - also was a shocking decision not to square the ball to tevez, on yesterdays game, he did nothing to convince me he deserves another contract sadly
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby simon12 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:33 am

Yes he is. They doubled up on him sepecially first half yesterday. As has been said a dip in form it`s not desireable but does happen.
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby Fish111 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:34 am

His only attribute is pace and even that has deserted him so, personally, i wouldn't even consider extending his contract.
Fish111

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:35 am

Grob wrote:He would be a good squad player for a top side for the next 2/3 seasons which is hopefully our next stop as a football club.

Fair enough. Definitely not worth more than that considering he'll be 30 & losing pace. I'm not sure he's passing his audition with Mancini though; there are lots of players he could sign for that job who you'd expect to do better than SWP has recently, including some who actually get crosses in & if Mourinho comes he has the same problem. They don't have the attachment to him that we do.

If you're going to play 3 grafters in midfield, you want your 3 attackers to offer something much more effective than SWP's currently offering.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby john@staustell » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:25 am

It's not about this 'class is permanent' nonsense. It's about a player who cant seemingly adapt his game to getting older, to losing the speed and ability to go past a man which once made him so good. He does not play the way that 'class can be permanent'.

He's definitely got a cheek asking for a pay rise. Might get an extension in 12 months on the same money if he's lucky (can he scrape by on 60K a week?). Only if he pulls his finger out. Yesterday he was dire. 19 times out of 20 you'd just as well lob the ball to the other team in that sector of the pitch, which is not the way a 'top 4 side' can afford to be.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby ayrshireblue » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:33 am

He was quite happy to sign a 4 year contract worth £60000 less than two years ago. Considering he was litte more than a bit part player at Chelsea then I think the wage we gave him at the time was very generous. He signed the contract on the advice of his numb nuts stepfather so he should stay with the deal and count himself to be earning £60000 a week when better players like joe Cole are being offered new deals with 40% cuts in them.
ayrshireblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Blue Blood » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:44 am

john@staustell wrote:It's not about this 'class is permanent' nonsense. It's about a player who cant seemingly adapt his game to getting older, to losing the speed and ability to go past a man which once made him so good. He does not play the way that 'class can be permanent'.

He's definitely got a cheek asking for a pay rise. Might get an extension in 12 months on the same money if he's lucky (can he scrape by on 60K a week?). Only if he pulls his finger out. Yesterday he was dire. 19 times out of 20 you'd just as well lob the ball to the other team in that sector of the pitch, which is not the way a 'top 4 side' can afford to be.

Agree with you John, SWP was utterly naff yesterday, but aside from that he's looking really poor every week atm. He's just not deserving of a new contract, infact i'll be honest and say it would probably be best to let the two years left play out and then let him go, by the time he's 30 i get the feeling he's gonna be a shade of the player he even is now.

Afterall when the pace has all dried up what does he really have to offer the team?
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby mcfc1632 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:03 am

A contract has been previously offered that would take him to an age where he could retire a very rich young man - should have taken it - needs better advisers than his dad I would suggest - maybe what was offered might not continue to be available
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beeks » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:08 am

This
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Vhero » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:15 am

Grob wrote:He would be a good squad player for a top side for the next 2/3 seasons which is hopefully our next stop as a football club.

Agreed.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Return to The Maine Football forum