I watched the match with an in law of Jim

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

I watched the match with an in law of Jim

Postby Patrick » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:49 pm

Nice bloke - french wife, flat cap, city shirt - born and bred

Couple of interesting points - his opinion not mine - but my interpretation and a few too many glasses of rose

Hughes was disliked by all and sundry around the club - wanted to be fergie big bollox without the achievements

Hughes blocked Jims Cassells appointment to director of football

Everyone was pissed off that hughes and his cronies wanted to employ the family rather than find who was best for the job

Marwood would call Cassell up to nick his ideas

What about munkini says I? He has the respect of many - after all he knows how to win stuff

Seeing him again on tuesday - questions
Last edited by Patrick on Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Standing in the Naughty Corner since 1961
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Re: I watched the match with an in law of a Legend

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:55 pm

Patrick wrote:Nice bloke - french wife, flat cap, city shirt - born and bred

Couple of interesting points - his opinion not mine - but my interpretation and a few too many glasses of rose

Hughes was disliked by all and sundry around the club - wanted to be fergie big bollox without the achievements

Everyone was pissed off that hughes and his cronies wanted to employ the family rather than find who was best for the job

What about munkini says I? He has the respect of many - after all he knows how to win stuff

IT WAS REALLY NQDP WASNT IT ????
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Burt » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:56 pm

So who da fucl is this guy Patrick. No point telling us his oppinions without telling us who he is so we can establish if he's worth listening to is there mate.
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Original Dub » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:18 pm

Burt wrote:So who da fucl is this guy Patrick. No point telling us his oppinions without telling us who he is so we can establish if he's worth listening to is there mate.

He's a knob that lives in the mountains mate, but try to stay on topic please...

Interesting stuff about Jim there Paddy... so Hughes was bobby big balls then? I don't like the sound of that, but then again I don't like the director of football idea really so meh lol time to move on (oops, wrong thread).
Original Dub

Postby Chinners » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:19 pm

Burt wrote:So who da fucl is this guy Patrick. No point telling us his oppinions without telling us who he is so we can establish if he's worth listening to is there mate.

An in law of Jim Cassell by the sounds of it.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Re: I watched the match with an in law of Jim

Postby Bingo Lewis » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:21 pm

Don't worry, I won't say I told you so.....
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby btajim » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:31 pm

Patrick wrote:Hughes blocked Jims Cassells appointment to director of football

Cassell was going to be Director of Football? I don't remember that and I don't expect that. Are you not confusing him with Brian Marwood? He was going to become the Director of Football but Hughes rightly didn't want anyone coming in above him - so they made him Football Administration Officer to provide a link between the Academy and the First Team. Cook has confirmed most of this in Interviews.

Also, let us not forget that Jim Cassell is the only man in the history of Football who has been "sacked" yet helped to choose his own replacement. I'd rather go along with the rational idea that he wanted to retire but was offered a less stressful role to ensure he was still involved at the Club.

Cheers.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Patrick » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:30 pm

no jim was going to get the role marwood has now is what i heard
Standing in the Naughty Corner since 1961
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:25 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Jeesus, I'm choking on my own smugness right now.

Dev, OD, John68 and rest of you, take an orderly quee and kiss my ring

Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby ant london » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:27 am

Patrick wrote:no jim was going to get the role marwood has now is what i heard

Fuck me, I'm glad that didn't happen.

As we have discussed previously I am unconvinced by the benefits that a director of football (or football administrator in this case) brings to a PL club in the context of how our clubs are run and managed.

I like Cassell and think he did quite a good job at the academy through a very difficult period. But if you ask me if I think he would be capable of "taking us to the next level" in terms of quality of recruitment and player development I would say no. Nor do I think he could do a director of football role successfully (not that I am convinced that Marwood is doing so either)

It's interesting to hear what he has to say re Hughes but it's clear from previous stories that there were issues between them (and I do now believe that Hughes was involved with him being shunted out to the Mid East) so I will take his comments re the previous management with a healthy pinch of salt
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby btajim » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:26 am

Jim Cassell as Director of Football at City? Hughes was very right to block that one. It would've seriously undermined him.

But was Cassell forced out of the Academy yet given the opportunity to help pick his successor?
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Bingo Lewis » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:29 am

btajim wrote:yet given the opportunity to help pick his successor?

I don't believe that you believe that. I think you're either on a wind up, or very naiive.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby btajim » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:32 am

Bingo Lewis wrote:
btajim wrote:yet given the opportunity to help pick his successor?

I don't believe that you believe that. I think you're either on a wind up, or very naiive.

Neither. Why would City openly lie to us when Articles from the Club confirmed Cassell helped recruit Andy Welsh? They'd have swept it under the carpet had he been forcibly removed and sent to the Middle East.
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:37 am

ant london wrote:
Patrick wrote:no jim was going to get the role marwood has now is what i heard

Fuck me, I'm glad that didn't happen.

As we have discussed previously I am unconvinced by the benefits that a director of football (or football administrator in this case) brings to a PL club in the context of how our clubs are run and managed.

I like Cassell and think he did quite a good job at the academy through a very difficult period. But if you ask me if I think he would be capable of "taking us to the next level" in terms of quality of recruitment and player development I would say no. Nor do I think he could do a director of football role successfully (not that I am convinced that Marwood is doing so either)

It's interesting to hear what he has to say re Hughes but it's clear from previous stories that there were issues between them (and I do now believe that Hughes was involved with him being shunted out to the Mid East) so I will take his comments re the previous management with a healthy pinch of salt

what a complex and sophisticated way to tell Antti to fuck off and stop gloating.

nicely done.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Original Dub » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:48 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Jeesus, I'm choking on my own smugness right now.

Dev, OD, John68 and rest of you, take an orderly quee and kiss my ring

Hold on there - you said Hughes had Cassell fired/moved to the middle east. Paddy said Jim's in law said he blocked him becoming Director of Football and fucking rightly so!

Not connected in anyway, so you'll have put your head between your legs and kiss your own ring on this occasion.

And I'll have a whopper meal too cunty hooks, thanks ;)
Original Dub

Postby BobKowalski » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:22 am

Original Dub wrote:
Hold on there - you said Hughes had Cassell fired/moved to the middle east. Paddy said Jim's in law said he blocked him becoming Director of Football and fucking rightly so!

Not connected in anyway, so you'll have put your head between your legs and kiss your own ring on this occasion.

And I'll have a whopper meal too cunty hooks, thanks ;)

Why would Cassell as DoF be a bad move? I doubt if Hughes blocked the appointment over Cassell's ability or otherwise to do the job. Hughes was never one for surrounding himself with talented people and whilst it became fashionable to belittle what Cassell did with the academy (a fashion which coincided with the run ins Cassell had with Hughes) Cassell did deliver on his brief of bringing through players into the first team as well as generating much needed revenue.

If you are just objecting to the DoF role in principle then fair enough but we have ended up with Marwood as de facto DoF and I can't say that I am convinced by the value he brings to the role. Tell the truth I am not even sure what Marwood does.

There was plently of leakage about the Hughes 'attitude' last season for it not to be a surprise to anyone.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby btajim » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:29 am

BobKowalski wrote:Why would Cassell as DoF be a bad move?

He'd be out of his depth. Youth Academy Boss through to Director of Football? I'd sooner appoint a Steward to tell Khuldoon what to do.
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:57 am

btajim wrote:

He'd be out of his depth. Youth Academy Boss through to Director of Football? I'd sooner appoint a Steward to tell Khuldoon what to do.

DO tell me what qualifications does Marwood have over Cassell, who after all is without a doubt one of the best player developers around?
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby BobKowalski » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:12 pm

btajim wrote:

Possibly. But having 'youth' in your job description is not a bar from doing the job. Cassell's suitability or otherwise is as much dependent on what you want from the role of DoF and that can differ from club to club. If DoF is all about establishing an overriding ethos of the way you want to play football or establishing a mentality and identifying players that fits that ethos and mentality then you need someone with a vision to implement that and carry it forward to fruitition. Which is not dissimilar to what Cassell did with the academy except on a larger scale. Identifying and signing young players like AJ is also within that remit and well within Cassell's ability.

I am not arguing that Cassell should have got the job but I can see merit in Cassell getting the job. He knows the club. He has carried out a similar task with distinction already etc etc. Without knowing either Cassell or Marwood first hand if given the choice I would go with Cassell.

I have no beef with Marwood but thats simply because I have nothing to go on with the guy and whose only claim to fame so far seems to be his involvement in the sacking of Hughes and his reported attempts to lure Wenger to City (yeah ok Brian). Outside of that he is an empty space and his past record does not scream 'appoint me as DoF'.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Original Dub » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:21 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
btajim wrote:

DO tell me what qualifications does Marwood have over Cassell, who after all is without a doubt one of the best player developers around?

I don't really know who is better suited to the role as I don't know the men or their CVs.

Having said that, I'm not sure being pretty good at youth development qualifies you as director of football.

I've never heard of it being done before and I can't imagine it would be too good an idea. I could be wrong, but I can clearly see why the manager didn't want an academy director being bumped up to director of football, no matter who that manager is. mancini wouldn't have had it, Sven wouldn't have had it, Keegan wouldn't have had it and hughes didn't have it.
Original Dub

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum