pm and stadium yesterday

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

pm and stadium yesterday

Postby dick dastardley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:16 am

The prime minster was at our stadium yesterday looking at the plans for the surrounding areas,
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Re: pm and stadium yesterday

Postby pepsi_dave » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:21 am

This news is sooooo yesterday! Lol.

the updates that came through from mcrMIPIM suggested that the club and the council (who are now in what has been described as an "incredible" partnership) were hoping for his and the governments backing to continue. If the PM has come along to see the proposals it makes me think about how big this scheme could end up being!
Derby Day The Scores Were Level
Then The Goat Was Fed By Neville
Silly Boy Should Know For Sure
Feed The Goat and He Will Score
pepsi_dave
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods Own Club
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby john@staustell » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:26 am

pepsi_dave wrote:This news is sooooo yesterday! Lol.

the updates that came through from mcrMIPIM suggested that the club and the council (who are now in what has been described as an "incredible" partnership) were hoping for his and the governments backing to continue. If the PM has come along to see the proposals it makes me think about how big this scheme could end up being!

He's probably looking for ideas mate.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Fish111 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:31 am

He won't be PM by June hopefully so what's the point of him going?
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby blootoof » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:40 am

It makes you wonder what the hell we are planning on building if we need government approval.

Sober up chambers outside the ground that you sit in for ten minutes before heading home would be ideal, especially on match days when its the bread-knives birthday or sommat.
blootoof
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:45 am

Fish111 wrote:He won't be PM by June hopefully so what's the point of him going?

It's not about the PM looking at the plans, it's about the government authorising expenditure from the budget for regeneration of the area. It's been said that City, or more correctly, the Sheikh, are investing £1 Bn to regenerate the area, however the truth is more likely that the money is coming from various sources such as the Government, EU, local business, the council, and some from our very own benefactors.

It is most likely that we are investing in our own establishment and local government have latched onto it in attempt to gain funds for further renewal projects. We all know that the East Openshaw site was due to have houses built, but was put on hold due to an outside source wanting the land for other means. We now know that City have bought the land with a view to possibly building a large training facility and possible visitors site.

We'll just have to wait and see what the future hold, but having the PM visit us is a sure sign that we already well under way and it's just a matter of time until we see something.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Alex Sapphire » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:53 am

I'm not sure there's any evidence that GB was in Manchester to hear or approve our plans.
He was at a cancer centre in Oldham and visited Sportcity to look at Community projects.
no Bernstein or Cook in this picture
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby blootoof » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:42 am

Alex Sapphire wrote:I'm not sure there's any evidence that GB was in Manchester to hear or approve our plans.
He was at a cancer centre in Oldham and visited Sportcity to look at Community projects.
<span>[img]<a%20class="linkclass"%20href="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/4442797019_d3f32fac38.jpg[/img]">http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/4442797019_d3f32fac38.jpg[/img]</a></span>

IMO, I'm sure he was shown some plans behind the scenes, he must of seen somethin with the amount of money involved. We're probably trying to keep it away from the media as much as possible until the plans are more solid. We made a fuss when the MUEN printed that article if you remember.
blootoof
De Jong's Tackle

Postby lets all have a disco » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:57 am

All i know is,It's gonna be phat/Fat/mega/rude/tech etc etc.

The crew aka the wolf pack will be all over it.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby mcfc1632 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:21 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
Fish111 wrote:He won't be PM by June hopefully so what's the point of him going?

It's not about the PM looking at the plans, it's about the government authorising expenditure from the budget for regeneration of the area. It's been said that City, or more correctly, the Sheikh, are investing £1 Bn to regenerate the area, however the truth is more likely that the money is coming from various sources such as the Government, EU, local business, the council, and some from our very own benefactors.

It is most likely that we are investing in our own establishment and local government have latched onto it in attempt to gain funds for further renewal projects. We all know that the East Openshaw site was due to have houses built, but was put on hold due to an outside source wanting the land for other means. We now know that City have bought the land with a view to possibly building a large training facility and possible visitors site.

We'll just have to wait and see what the future hold, but having the PM visit us is a sure sign that we already well under way and it's just a matter of time until we see something.

You have the right theme - there will be a 'group' of stakeholders - led by Local Authoritys (MCC) looking to have major regeneration plans approved - these require HM Treasury approval - they look at a range of reasons to approve (although in today's climate they look for a range or reasons to turn down). Just where the plans are in the governance (approval) process given the recent signing is important to understand - especially the extent to where approval is still required before work could commence.

Sort of things that ring the right bells in Treasury (until the last 12 months when everything has gone into paralysis) are delivery of government policies - especially if facilities can serve policies in multi-sectors, e.g. social services and health where there are increasingly opportunities to do joint initiatives in the community - these are the few areas where approval for major investment are being considered.

The reason our major initiative could tick all the right boxes is that the cost to the government/LA could be reduced due to finance from partners (us) - and even more so the timing - you will increasingly see the PM and other senior government figures in photo opportunities at new hospitals etc around the country in the next 6 weeks.

If this does not go through in the coming months - it will likely not go ahead (im (informed)o)

Any party that tells you that there will not be tax increases / reduced government spending etc is simply lying - I would state that as fact (rather than opinion) - the clamp down started months ago
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Kladze » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:21 pm

Oooooh bit political there - remove it please mods ;-)
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby pepsi_dave » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:43 pm

Alex Sapphire wrote:I'm not sure there's any evidence that GB was in Manchester to hear or approve our plans.

There is proof, not visual proof, but proof pretty much from the horses mouth in an indirect way...

Bernstein wasnt there because he was in Cannes at the MIPIM conference, it was Bernstein who unveilied the outline of the proposals for NEM at the event, and it was Bernstein himself (I believe) who stated that City are meeting with GB right now to discuss proposals and recieve government backing.

I've pasted all the tweets below from the event yesterday for those who haven't seen them. Now i know it's only twitter, but this is quite clearly the "official" twitter page for manchester at MIPIM. The oldest tweets are at the bottom.... (I have only included yesterday afternoons tweets as the rest of their updates are for other areas of manchester due for redevelopment.

mcrMIPIM From Twitter wrote:All this year's Manchester event videos are now online, inc. today's Civic Centre & New East Manchester presentations: http://bit.ly/b56b6i
about 20 hours ago via web

Reply Retweet Although our stand events are complete, we'll continue to bring you news and reports from #MIPIM until our stand closes tomorrow afternoon.
about 21 hours ago via web

Reply Retweet Bernstein closes by thanking Marketing Manchester for making MIPIM a success. That's our stand events for this year complete!
about 23 hours ago via web

Reply Retweet Bernstein: Council/MCFC partnership will transform the area and have an impact way beyond east Manchester.

Reply Retweet Bernstein: Gordon Brown is at Sportcity today to hear the development vision for the area and to give government support for it.

Reply Retweet Bernstein: Incredible partnership between Council and MCFC. Full details will be revealed in time. This is a long-term partnership.

Reply Retweet Sir Howard Bernstein takes to the stand to give more details. Sportcity's success should make us proud but the job is unfinished.

Reply Retweet Smith: Manchester City meeting with Gordon Brown right now to discuss the plans publicised last week.

Reply Retweet Smith: Opportunities for NEM: Focus on the Ashton-u-Lyne Metrolink line area, plus working to bring fibre-optic broadband to the area.

Reply Retweet Smith: 900,000 sq ft commercial space commenced, built 500 new homes in a stagnant market.

Reply Retweet Smith: NEM's aims: to improve the economy, appearance, housing, jobs market and education offering of the area.

Reply Retweet New East Manchester: Eddie Smith, Chief Executive of NEM begins by summarising the story of the area so far.

Reply Retweet Our final stand event starts in around ten minutes: New East Manchester. Live-tweeting to follow. #MIPIM
Derby Day The Scores Were Level
Then The Goat Was Fed By Neville
Silly Boy Should Know For Sure
Feed The Goat and He Will Score
pepsi_dave
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods Own Club
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby Alex Sapphire » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:44 pm

you're right.
And from the horse's mouth a "Sports Mecca" "for the whole of the country"

[youtube]3qZpwIPqq7E[/youtube]
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Grob » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:25 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:All i know is,It's gonna be phat/Fat/mega/rude/tech etc etc.

The crew aka the wolf pack will be all over it.

Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby btajim » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:43 pm

What Football Team does Gordon Brown support?
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby mcfc1632 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:46 pm

btajim wrote:What Football Team does Gordon Brown support?

Raith rovers I believe
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Return to The Maine Football forum