Old Fans Forums

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Old Fans Forums

Postby Goataldo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:33 pm

I first posted this in the fan's forum's pics thread, but thought it might merit it's own space. Ok that's cos I'm impatient, wrote quite a bit, and nobody replied, but it is a slightly different subject!

Anyone on here remember the old fans' forums? The ones where random selectees (is that a word?) got the chance to go every month to the stadium and have a Q&A and air their grievances? I was lucky enough to get selecterised (that's definitely a word), and went to a few at Maine Road, and then a couple at the Coms.

They were quite good til we got to the Coms. To be fair I enjoyed it at first: we were given a 'grand tour' of the new ground, got to visit the changing rooms, all the hospitality facilities (sampled the food and beer for free), the cells (yeah they have a mini jail under the Colin Bell stand!), and walk around in the very bowels of our magnificent stadium, all very Bond-Villain's-lair-esque (that is not a word). Best bit was 'The Tudor Room' (which only had one door as I remember), which among many bits of memorabilia had a pair of the Goat's boots on the wall. I had to stop myself from kneeling before them and

It all turned a bit sour the last time I went though. They had us sat in this room, and took care to note down who was sitting where.
They then proceeded to do this exercise in classroom stylee, which involved 'teacher' holding up placards/idiot boards with what seemed like random words on them. We were asked to come up with the first reponses that came into our heads; it was a little bit like being psychometrically tested by Timmy Mallet. The words were things like like 'True', and 'Real'. As you can imagine, people came up with understandable arbitrary responses, such as 'U***d are shite' to the word 'True'.

It wasn't really working, and as they started trying to crank it up a gear and go through the cards, something twigged, and I asked the head honcho from City (can't remember his name think it was Gary something), quite politely though perhaps visibly irritated, whether the session was in fact 'a shameless marketing exercise for Budweiser'. He was obviously annoyed by this, mumbled something I couldn't quite catch, and made a note on his seating plan, before moving onto something else. They never asked me back. I did email, but got no response.

Do these forums still happen?

Has anyone here been to one?

Do City have me marked as some sort of subversive revolutionary type?

I hope they don't, but if they do, I may have to infiltrate and bring down the club I love from the inside, just to prove a point.
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Re: Old Fans Forums

Postby King Kev » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:32 pm

I have been to a couple of these but didn't realise they used to have them when we were at Maine Road.

There was one the other day by the way LINKY
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Goataldo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:26 pm

King Kev wrote:I have been to a couple of these but didn't realise they used to have them when we were at Maine Road.

There was one the other day by the way LINKY

Yeah I saw that, cheers, but the ones I went to were just some fans and some 'club officials' - no players or cameras or publicity - like it was supposed to be a real connection with us. It was advertised on the website on a first come first come first served basis, and I got into the group of selectees from which they chose the ten or so people for each meeting.

Then they binned me off for asking a question, the set of nobs.
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Postby Lev Bronstein » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:25 am

I thought at first you were going to set up a forum for old fans. Ho hum, suppose I'll have to keep on tolerating the noisy snot gobblers.
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby sweenyuk » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:20 pm

still runs and is now called "points of blue" is a free house for anyone to turn up and put questions to the officials. Is not very well advertised though,
Details of the next Points of Blue meeting:

Date: Tuesday 27 April

Time: 6.30pm

Location: Mancunian Suite, Colin Bell Stand, City of Manchester Stadium
minutes from last meeting

Points of Blue

Minutes of Meeting – 10th February 2010

Club represented by Vicky Kloss, Chief Communications Officer, Danny Wilson, Head of Supporter Experience, Peter Fletcher, Head of Safety & Security, Steven Robinson, Ticket Sales Manager, Neil Worcester, Catering & Operations Manager and Steve McGrath, Safety & Security Manager.

Ticketing

What’s the process for updating website information? Why isn’t it working?
Club response: Information in the ‘Tickets and Travel’ section is updated, but archive pages remain. These will be deleted and the links from the ‘Fixtures’ page will link to current information.

When will the new online ticket ordering service be live on the website?
Club response: The site is currently in the final testing phase and is scheduled to go live in late-March. The launch has been delayed by the requirement for additional development work to ensure that the site is PCI (payment card industry) compliant.

When the away following is low, why not allocate them a block or two and sell the rest of the South Stand lower and upper tiers to home fans? Also, please explain the allocation of tickets on the web. For the home leg against United, all tickets were sold, for a new batch to appear elsewhere.
Club response: Visiting clubs are entitled to approximately 3,000 tickets, 1,500 of which must be made available on a sale or return basis where the visiting club is not financially responsible for any unsold tickets. Clubs are instructed on the block order in which to sell their allocation. We monitor away sales on a daily basis and if it is apparent that the full allocation will not be sold we request that tickets be returned. Should one or more full blocks be returned, subject to segregation configurations and the approval of the safety authorities, tickets are sold to home supporters. This was the case at the Fulham match this season. Occasionally, tickets allocated to sponsors or players are returned in the days prior to a match and these are immediately released for sale on the website.

Can we have a breakdown of loyalty points distribution for games? We all know how many points we have but we don't know our place in the queue.
Club response: The problem is if people think they’re too low in the queue they may not look again, even though take-up by people with higher points may be low. We will look at reviving the practice of indicating how many tickets we have been allocated (bearing in mind the problem that a larger allocation may put the club at financial risk if the tickets are not allocated on a sale or return basis, i.e. we have to pay for all tickets including those not sold).

Why doesn’t the club support Tickets for Troops?
Club response: From the City v Liverpool match (21st Feb) the club will donate 50 complimentary tickets for each home match to Tickets for Troops. We have undertaken a number of initiatives to support current Forces personnel. Discounted tickets are available for every home game on production of a valid MOD identification card. We also donated over 250 tickets to the Burnley home match near Remembrance Day.

What are the dates for Seasoncard renewals?
Club response: Similar renewal dates to last season are planned (commencing in late April / early May).

The dates when tickets go on sale to Citycard holders used to be published on the website and in the programme much earlier than they currently are. Can this return?
Club response: There is no reason why not. We’ll look into this.

When a ‘Parent and Child’ ticket is available for certain matches, why are adults penalised for not bringing a child? It can be cheaper for an adult with a child than without a child. It pays to invent a junior.
Club response: This isn’t the case. At the matches where this promotion has been available, adult tickets have been available for less than the combined parent and child price in certain areas of the stadium. Where ticket sales are slow for matches, we are keen to trial different promotional offers to encourage new supporters to attend.

Why do I have to ask for my Citycard discount when purchasing tickets? £5 off your first six League games.
Club response: This isn’t the case online, the discount is automatically applied to the first six League matches purchased. Supporters should be asked whether they want to use their discount when purchasing over the telephone. We will pick this up internally.

There are reduced prices for kids and families but what about concessions for people who are out of work and still have Accesscards with points on them?
Club response: We will look into this suggestion. Appropriate identification, showing current employment status, would need to be shown every time a ticket was purchased. This would only work with in person purchases at the stadium ticket office as identification couldn’t be validated online or over the telephone.

Merchandise

Will there be new kit designs in the summer?
Club response: New home and away kits will be launched in the summer for the 2010/11 season. The away kit will have a two year lifespan. The current 3rd kit will remain in place for next season. Some supporters object to regular changes, others always want a new shirt each season. (Points of Blue observation: no-one is forced to buy them.)

Catering

Price of food & drink: Have the prices been looked at since it was last brought up? Can we have an update on speed/quality of service?
Club response: Wide-ranging review is in progress for next season, both with regard to products and physical changes to outlets before seeking Board approval. New supervisory arrangements are in place, which we hope are improving the counter service.
Supporter feedback will be sought again before the start of the season with regard to the new product range and pricing.

Why can’t we start selling bottles at the ground again?
Club response: Regrettably, in some parts of the stadium, bottles have been thrown. This exposes the club to disciplinary action, so drinks have to be decanted.

Can we not have lots of vending machines for soft drinks and snacks, it may free up the bars for the booze?
Club response: Vending machines compromise the free flow of people in an emergency situation; we will investigate whether there are areas where this would not be an issue.

Website

With the success of the official website, does the club have any plans to produce an official MCFC Podcast? Coupled with this could be an MCFC I-Phone application.
Club response: No reason why there should not be a podcast if there is a wide appetite for it. We looked into doing an I-phone app well over a year ago, but given the launch of the new website and its compatibility with the I-phone, it was felt that it would not add anything. We will constantly review our offerings and if there is an innovative product that delivers more to the fans than that already on offer, then we would definitely consider it. We want to ensure that all content and services linked to the website provide the best possible experience to supporters. Any new applications need to be as innovative as the rest of the site.

Communications / PR

How is the club coping with our raised public profile and all the publicity we've had recently, both good and bad, and our relationship with the media?
Club response: It’s good, but as with any area of the business, it’s not perfect. Over the last 18 months the communications team has been expanded (as has the website). There is a sliding scale of response to negative (and untrue) stories – talk to the reporter, talk to the editor, go to the Press Complaints Commission, or threaten legal action (we use Schillings, one of the world’s leading media lawyers). The media team spends a lot of time deflecting hysterical media. We are making considerable, positive progress though.

Garry Cook: did he not know cameras were there in a New York bar?
Club response: This was a private event for City supporters in a city where this approach was appropriate in the context and their sports fans are used to this sort of stuff. The camera was not meant to be in the bar, although with cameras on most phones, nothing is really private now, but that’s with hindsight.

Stadium

Why was the far entrance to the North Car Park blocked at a couple of recent matches?
Club response: We will investigate, but it is likely that it was a necessary measure when the car parks were under snow.

Get buses lined up on Ashton New Road after the match like they used to be on Lloyd Street after games at Maine Rd!
Club response: We are talking to Greater Manchester Integrated Transport Authority about improvements to the current bus provision (which bus companies provide commercially; there have been fare-dodging issues on journeys after the match). Metrolink’s arrival at the stadium in 2012 should hugely aid transport issues.

Why are there no ATMs in or around the stadium?
Club response: It’s not commercially viable for banks due to the limited usage and the existing provision at Asda. The ability to load cash/credit to Seasoncards/Citycards/Accesscards for cashless transactions at the stadium is still under investigation.

When are we making COMS a 64,000, three tier stadium, when are we putting the away fans in the top tier and when are we buying COMS?
Club response: It makes no commercial sense to purchase the stadium. The stadium is ours on a 250 year lease. Feasibility studies are being undertaken for options to expand the stadium, but there are no immediate plans to do so. Moving the away fans (part of the ‘Give Eastlands its Kippax’ campaign) has been investigated with representatives of various supporters’ groups (including Points of Blue, OSC, CSA and Bluemoon) and it is now accepted that this is not currently feasible because of safety considerations, and the need to move home season ticket holders from seats they have long occupied.

A mini repeater/base station for O2 (and Orange) to boost the signal strength would be a welcome addition.
Club response: We will investigate what can be done.

Why when you leave the stadium from Entrance K (East Stand) do you now get forced up to the corner of Ashton New Road and Alan Turing Way before you can start heading back towards town?
Club response: The exit direct to Ashton New Road was temporary while the B of the Bang was a danger. We will see if there is any reason why it cannot be reinstated.

Concourse televisions needing attention were reported.
Club response: We will inform our Facility Management team.

Other

The price of the programme against United in the Semi Final of the Carling Cup was nearly double that of a regular programme. Although a little larger than normal, it was obvious that most of the text was simply larger print. Was there really a need to almost double the price?
Club response: Feedback will be taken on board. However, it was felt that a suitable souvenir programme was appropriate for our first Semi Final in a number of years. We have received a lot of positive feedback. The current 100 page, perfect bound programme came about after a positive trial two seasons ago. We like to trial different ideas from time to time.

Will the club be sending an invoice to our neighbours for the damage their fans caused during the Carling Cup Semi Final 1st leg and will their allocation for the league game in April be cut?
Club response: We work extremely closely with Greater Manchester Police and the Safety Advisory Group to protect the safety of all supporters attending matches at the City of Manchester Stadium. Allocations to visiting supporters and segregation arrangements are always under review. Some adjustment to the configuration available to visiting supporters may be considered appropriate to reduce the risk of incidents. An invoice for the damage is unlikely.

Are there more large sponsorship deals in the pipeline and any names?
Club response: Earlier in the season we announced major sponsorship agreements with Etisalat and Ferrostaal. These announcements followed the summer launch of the biggest sponsorship agreements in the club’s history with Etihad and Umbro. It is highly likely that there will be further announcements in the coming months. However, at the present time we are unable to confirm names.

Do we own the land across from Asda?
Club response: Work is ongoing. It’s premature to discuss anything else beyond this at the current time. Click here for a subsequent update

What is the club’s view on the comments made by David Moyes in the Everton v City programme?
Club response: We are ignoring the comments which are the personal opinion of David Moyes.

Has any action been taken in relation to the behaviour of United fans at COMS, and the missiles at O.T. (Carling Cup Semi Final)?
Club response: Both people with flares at COMS (and others) were identified and arrested. Action re the incidents at Old Trafford is in the hands of the authorities.

Clarification of why Roberto Mancini was brought in at that time - is it really a 6 month appointment?
Club response: Roberto Mancini has a contract with the club for three and a half years.

Stoke City (away) – Blackburn Rovers fan reportedly killed by a thrown bin; this was a problem last time we were there. What measures are in place to prevent this happening again?
Club response: We’ll ask about this as part of our preparation for the game.

And finally…

Matchday golf buggy service (North Car Park to Stadium)
The club confirmed the provision of a matchday golf buggy shuttle service from North Car Park to the stadium to assist supporters with walking difficulties. The service, which commenced at the Portsmouth match, will be trialled until the end of the season. Due to supporter traffic levels on Joe Mercer Way, the service can only operate pre-match.
The club acknowledged and thanked Points of Blue for the suggestion at a previous meeting of the group.

sweenyuk
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby patrickblue » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:55 am

Lev Bronstein wrote:I thought at first you were going to set up a forum for old fans. Ho hum, suppose I'll have to keep on tolerating the noisy snot gobblers.

Me too, I was quite looking forward to a nice chat about the good old days when men were men and the ball was made of leather.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-eDaSvRO9xA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-eDaSvRO9xA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Return to The Maine Football forum