Saturday's B*ll*x

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Saturday's B*ll*x

Postby Chinners » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:12 am

Mancini reassures Ireland
Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has reassured Stephen Ireland that he remains part of his plans.
Ireland's long-term future at City has been the subject of speculation in recent months after failing to hold down a regular place in the side under Mancini.
The former Republic of Ireland international has made only 15 league starts this season, and he is again likely to be on the bench for Sunday's trip to Fulham.
Ireland's lack of action has perplexed some fans who believe he should be in the side given his ability to unlock defences and score goals.
But Mancini insists Ireland is an important player for the team and play a key role until the end of the season.
"I have a lot of respect for Stephen Ireland because he is a good player," said Mancini.
"In the week of the Chelsea game he had an injury. But now he has recovered and is ready to play.
"I have a number of options in midfield and Stephen is an important player for us."
Meanwhile, Javier Garrido is hoping to earn a regular run in the side to fill in for the injured Wayne Bridge.
Bridge faces a month out after undergoing a hernia operation and Garrido is expected to replace him at left-back at Fulham.
"Hopefully I will get my chance to be involved in the team," Garrido told the club's official website.
"I did not play for a while when Mark Hughes was here but when Roberto took charge he gave me an opportunity almost straight away.
"That gave me a lot of confidence and I think that showed through in my performances. "
Garrido knows the importance of victory at Fulham as City chase a top-four spot and he wants his side to show more consistency if they are to achieve their ambition of qualifying for the Champions League.
"They try and play good football and so do we, but they have definitely had the edge over the past three or four seasons," added Garrido.
"But there is no reason we can't win this game - we need a victory to keep the pressure on the teams around us.
"I think every team who plays us now wants to beat us because of what has happened to the club in the past couple of years.
"I think sometimes we have had a stronger mentality against the best teams and the results against Arsenal and Chelsea have proved that to be true.
"But we have to have that same focus against every team we play if we are to finish in the top four."

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini tells Wayne Bridge to make World Cup U-turn
Roberto Mancini still hopes Manchester City defender Wayne Bridge changes his mind about not going to the World Cup as he believes England can win the tournament.
Full-back Bridge decided to opt out after John Terry's alleged affair with his former girlfriend Vanessa Perroncel.
However England manager Fabio Capello said on Friday that he has kept the door open for Bridge, who is expected to be sidelined for a month following a hernia operation.
Mancini intends to talk to Bridge once he returns to training about the importance of taking the chance, if it arises, of going to South Africa.
Mancini said: 'It is always important for a player to play in the World Cup, because you can only play in it once or twice in your life.
'I hope for Wayne and England he changes his mind. If you have a chance of playing for England, they can win the World Cup.
'So for a player it is important to play in this World Cup. The England team have a big chance and I hope Wayne will change his mind.
'I think he will be ready for the last five games of the season. In the next month maybe he can change his situation.
'When Wayne returns to training I will speak with him and hope he will play in the tournament.'

TRANSFER BOLLOX
Portsmouth's Serbia international Dusko Tosic is expected to join Swansea on an emergency loan after the FA and Premier League finally gave the 25-year-old clearance to play. Tosic's registration had been withheld due to Pompey's administration. Daily Mail

West Bromwich Albion want to sign on-loan Auxerre defender Gabriel Tamas on a permanent basis, with the Romanian international available for £800,000. Daily Mirror

OTHER BOLLOXLiverpool boss Rafael Benitez says he would not swap Spanish striker Fernando Torres for Manchester United's in-form England forward Wayne Rooney. The Sun

Liverpool keeper Pepe Reina is about to sign a deal worth £80,000-a-week that will keep him at Anfield for the next four years. Daily Mail

Aston Villa are prepared to make James Milner one of their highest earners with a contract extension worth around £65,000-a-week.Daily Telegraph

Former West Ham star Paolo Di Canio dreams of one day taking over as manager of the London club. Daily Mirror

Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe aims to return from his hamstring tear in just 10 days. Daily Mirror

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson tells Owen Hargreaves to forget the 2010 World Cup and concentrate on his club. Daily Mirror

World football's governing body Fifa made a £130m profit in 2009 as the game's commercial appeal defied the global financial crisis. The Sun

Newcastle striker Peter Lovenkrands has told Denmark coach Morten Olsen he will not be available to play for his country at the World Cup after the death of his father earlier this year. (Daily Mail)

Rangers manager Walter Smith will leave first-choice goalkeeper Allan McGregor on the bench for Sunday's final and continue his policy of playing Neil Alexander in the Co-operative Insurance Cup. (Various)

St Mirren defender Chris Innes has lost his fight to be fit for Sunday's Co-operative Insurance Cup final. (Daily Express)

The Scottish Football League says it is surprised and disappointed that St Mirren fans have only bought 10,000 of the 14,000 tickets available to them for Sunday's Co-operative Insurance Cup final at Hampden. (Daily Mail)

Celtic striker Morten Rasmussen and Kilmarnock defender Tim Clancy will face a Scottish Football Association disciplinary committee after a video review of two separate incidents in last weekend's Scottish Cup tie. (Daily Express)

Manager Tony Mowbray has rubbished former Celtic player Barry Robson's suggestion that winger Aiden McGeady will be the next big name to quit the club. (Daily Express)

Aberdeen director of football Willie Miller believes manager Mark McGhee will turn around the side's fortunes despite their recent dismal form. (The Scotsman)

Former Hearts manager Csaba Laszlo has thrown his name in the hat for the Bristol City job. (The Sun)

Former Scotland, Rangers and Blackburn defender Colin Hendry is being chased for gambling debts. (The Sun)

Liverpool's Dirk Kuyt has admitted to employing an "orthomanual therapist" to hit him twice a year with a mallet in order to knock out the lumps and bumps he picks up over the season. Daily Mail

FINAL BOLLOX
There is a Question & Answer Night with The Manchester City Legends! The Evening with City Legends will also feature a Charity Auction which in itself mariove worth the price of admission alone…
So without further ado, the venue is Disley Amalgamated Sports Club, 8pm Friday 26th March
and tickets are a tiny, tiny, unbelievably tiny £5.00 each. Your compare is Ian Cheeseman.
Guest speakers from: Joe Corrigan, Peter Barnes, Tommy Booth, Frank Carrodus, Paul Lake, Andy May, Andy Dibble, Kenny Clements and Asa Hartford.
All monies raised will be shared by various charities nominated by the City Legends.
Contact info: Peter Motley 07860 346066
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Return to The Maine Football forum