One game in three weeks

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

One game in three weeks

Postby guv111 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:02 am

Tomorrow, when we kick off at three o'clock, we will once again be playing catch-up. The fact that we have had no cup matches has not altered the inflexibility of a seemingly rusty and antiquated fixture process, which has left us twiddling our thumbs all but once between the victory at Chelsea on 27 Feb. and tomorrow's match, on 21 March.

Exactly how are our players meant to remain sharp and match-fit when we've been doing virtually nothing but training in all that time? If it were an across-the-board break for all clubs, then fine. Maybe we should consider a winter break. But personally, I would fancy a slightly tired but match-fit team like Fulham (on a high, too) to play better than one that has had nothing but a trip to Sunderland in the best part of a month.
guv111
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: One game in three weeks

Postby john@staustell » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:44 am

Mate - at this stage of the season they should be glad of the R & R, and I'm hoping it will benefit us, resting injuries etc. It should also give the man more time with his training methods. If they're not 'fit and sharp' now they can forget it!

Not quite sure how you modernise a fixture process that depends on who's in a cup and who's not, who's got replays, when it snows etc.

That's football.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:38 pm

john@staustell wrote:Mate - at this stage of the season they should be glad of the R & R, and I'm hoping it will benefit us, resting injuries etc. It should also give the man more time with his training methods. If they're not 'fit and sharp' now they can forget it!

Not quite sure how you modernise a fixture process that depends on who's in a cup and who's not, who's got replays, when it snows etc.

That's football.

I'm with John on this one. Not having to play 2 games a week should be a bonus and an extended break should definitely benefit us. A bit surprising though that our first response was a lethargic first half against Sunderland.Let's hope it's not the same at the Cottage
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:50 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
john@staustell wrote:Mate - at this stage of the season they should be glad of the R & R, and I'm hoping it will benefit us, resting injuries etc. It should also give the man more time with his training methods. If they're not 'fit and sharp' now they can forget it!

That's football.

I'm with John on this one. Not having to play 2 games a week should be a bonus and an extended break should definitely benefit us. A bit surprising though that our first response was a lethargic first half against Sunderland.Let's hope it's not the same at the Cottage

We can't afford to have another game like that, i couldnt believe what i was seeing last sunday in the first half. Fulham are a decent team and with there massive win on Thursday will deffo be on a high so were gonna have to be at are best from the off, i don't want to see any of this hit it long shit get it on the floor and pass it around.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby guv111 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:54 pm

Two good replies. Cheers.

Yes, it's that first half against Sunderland that was preying on my mind as well. If we start that slowly again, well it could be a long afternoon. And now Spurs are five points ahead. On a more positive note from me, I suppose it's where we stand after 38 games. I just find this lack of City games frustrating.
guv111
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:14 pm

On top of the 15 day break, we've also had to wait over a month for a home game. What's all that about???
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Fish111 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:27 pm

A good rest for a tough run-in. Both the players and the management will be appreciating it. Shit for us fans but great for the players R & R.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Manx Blue » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:42 am

Beefymcfc wrote:On top of the 15 day break, we've also had to wait over a month for a home game. What's all that about???

From memory beefy, we were due to have Spurs 6/7th March, but due to them being in the cup, we've missed out. Just one of those things I guess.
Also, If Hull had been in the cup, we could potentially played Everton at home as an alternative.
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Return to The Maine Football forum