How good can Kompany become?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

How good can Kompany become?

Postby Bojinov's left foot » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:57 pm

Only 23. Already proving to be one of our best players. Playing at Centre Half I love the way he is composed and can bring the ball out or find the right pass to start moves off.

Be interesting to see what happens in the summer and if we bring in a new Centre Half, would we move Kompany to defensive midfield? He can play that role and this gives us the flexibility to move players around if we have injuries or need to change the formation.

Already has 27 caps for Belgium with IMO many more to come. Pity Belgium did not make the World Cup, would have given him even more experience and this at the very top level.

Any ideas as to how good Kompany can be?
Bojinov's left foot
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Re: How good can Kompany become?

Postby Alioune DVToure » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:01 pm

Bojinov's left foot wrote:Only 23. Already proving to be one of our best players. Playing at Centre Half I love the way he is composed and can bring the ball out or find the right pass to start moves off.

Be interesting to see what happens in the summer and if we bring in a new Centre Half, would we move Kompany to defensive midfield? He can play that role and this gives us the flexibility to move players around if we have injuries or need to change the formation.

Already has 27 caps for Belgium with IMO many more to come. Pity Belgium did not make the World Cup, would have given him even more experience and this at the very top level.

"Very". I'm now willing to admit that I was wrong to suggest that he'd be nothing more than a squad player.

I saw an article somewhere a few days ago in which some European football pundit was tipping Belgium to both qualify and do well in the 2012 Euros. They do have a massive amount of u-23 talent including Kompany and Fellaini.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:15 pm

The fact that he's 9ft tall & can play football sets him above most PL defenders of his age. Seems like a top bloke too.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Geo123 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:36 pm

not much better he doesnt have a football brain
Geo123
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby pepsi_dave » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:38 pm

I said from the moment he signed for us that he could become a great player for us, I thought he was our best buy last season.... I know people like given and bellamy had an impact, for their overall importance I thought vinnie was our best buy by far!!!!

He struggled to get into the team at the start of the season after Hughes had spent so much on a defensive line, and the price tags meant he was comitted to playing them regardless of form..... since Mancio put him in the team he has looked better and better as each game goes by.

I fully expect him and nige to forge a formidable partnership/understanding between defense and midfield, much like their Hamburg days, although there they did play alongside each other in midfield.

This guy has the potential to be our club captain, and actually live upto that status, unlike Toure, who IMO hasnt stepped up to the mark on a number of occasions.
Derby Day The Scores Were Level
Then The Goat Was Fed By Neville
Silly Boy Should Know For Sure
Feed The Goat and He Will Score
pepsi_dave
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods Own Club
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:01 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:
Bojinov's left foot wrote:Only 23. Already proving to be one of our best players. Playing at Centre Half I love the way he is composed and can bring the ball out or find the right pass to start moves off.

"Very". I'm now willing to admit that I was wrong to suggest that he'd be nothing more than a squad player.

I saw an article somewhere a few days ago in which some European football pundit was tipping Belgium to both qualify and do well in the 2012 Euros. They do have a massive amount of u-23 talent including Kompany and Fellaini.[/quote]

Eden Hazard at Lille is a pretty decent player as well. Dedryck Boyata, Kompany and Fellaini..... they've got a fairly decent squad bubbling there haven't they?
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby ant london » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:14 pm

Geo123 wrote:not much better he doesnt have a football brain

is that a joke??
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Crossie » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:21 pm

I saw him make his debut, he didnt put a foot wrong and stopped West Ham from have any serious attacks through us. I thought back then he was a special player. I just glad he managed to get back into the first 11 when we had injuries, and when he is fit, he is now an automatic selection.

I prefer him in defence.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:21 pm

ant london wrote:

is that a joke??

It has to be. Kompany will be a top top player no doubt about it.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby bluechester » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:51 pm

dont think it is coincidence that since he as gone to centre back from midfield, we have looked alot stronger at the back, always said he was a CB not a DM
bluechester
Superman's Underpants

Postby Bingo Lewis » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:12 pm

he's fucking ace.
he better be captain next season.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Bojinov's left foot » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:18 pm

I'd love him become our captain and I think he has the potential to be a legend at the club. For that though IMO he has to win trophies and be with us for many years. I hope I am proven right.
Bojinov's left foot
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby The Man In Blue » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:40 pm

i'm not one for sweeping statements but imo the guy can be one of the top PL centre halves. has it all, pace, strength, reading of the game. just needs to cut the odd silly error out and he will be a rock.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Swales4ever » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:47 am

ant london wrote:

is that a joke??

that's great fun, indeed.
owning a superior brain (at least for a footballer) is amongst his biggest strenghts...
and the main reason why his success will steadly improve year after year: he will be one of, or maybe the, best CB of the next years. and can be a very usufull spare DCM as well!
Top man, top player!

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:54 am

World-class
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Fidel Castro » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:17 am

he looks like popeye but he is fuclin ace! very well spoken and doesn't come across as thick as 98% of the other footballers...
Fidel Castro

Postby Green & Blue » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:58 am

I think he will make a right name for himself over the next few seasons.He has been immense for us just a pity he has picked up the odd injury.
Truely delighted he fought his way back into the side and in my eyes is an automatic on the team sheet now.
Has all the attributes to be a world class centre back strength,tackle,aerail ability he reads the game very well and for a big man he is very tidy with the ball at his feet.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby dazby » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:00 am

He can become as good as he wants to be. I too would like him to be given the captaincy.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:57 am

One of my favourites and really does seem a sound lad.

Honestly thought he'd see his chances limited this season, yet has not only picked up where he left off last term, but stepped it up a notch to oust his more fancied team mates. Has all the attributes, plus the biggest one in TIME to become a true great.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby BlueMoonAwoken » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:50 am

Ive said it in every thread ive ever posted he is the best defensive mid and center back we have. He is my favourite player too, and one of reasons we are where we are now. He will improve, so will the team the more game time they have together.
"We have Spread Our Dreams Beneath Your Feet, Now your Dreams Become Our Reality"
BlueMoonAwoken
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum