Players with attitude

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Players with attitude

Postby ant london » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:12 pm

and I mean good...no, great attitudes.

Suddenly, to me, it seems like we have all kinds of great attitudes and mentalities within the squad

Some great examples of it have become apparent to me over the season. There are the really obvious ones like Tevez and Bellamy who are just blood and guts and "I'll run through a wall for the team" fighters. But I there is a really good vein of team player ethic running through the team now...of players who really want to play but who don't seem to bitch and moan when they don't have a starting spot...rather make sure they are ready to take to the field when needed.

The prime example has to be Javier Garrido. He'd obviously hoped/expected to start today but Joleon was selected before him....then had to pull out and up stepped Javi with a pretty damn good performance. He's not as good as Bridge I think we all know that and, before this season I would have wanted him out in the summer...but I honestly really have come to be quite fond of him and rate his play. He is a fantastic back up LB...he's also still pretty young (24) so who's to say he wont actually improve quite a bit??

But other examples of this increasingly apparent team ethic and "it's not all about me"-ness.....are obviously.....Vincent Kompany, Nigel de Jong, Pablo Zabaleta, Roque Santa Cruz, Gareth Barry

And....I have to say I'm impressed by Kolo's response

But...Stephen Ireland.....fucking credit to the lad for not bitching and moaning publicly. He must be frustrated as fuck at the moment and I wouldn't blame him if he (or part of him or all....) wanted away at the moment. I hope he doesn't want to and defo hope he doesn't actually go but massive massive respect for him and his dignified silence. Ireland is still Superman for me.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Re: Players with attitude

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:19 pm

ant london wrote:But...Stephen Ireland.....fucking credit to the lad for not bitching and moaning publicly. He must be frustrated as fuck at the moment and I wouldn't blame him if he (or part of him or all....) wanted away at the moment. I hope he doesn't want to and defo hope he doesn't actually go but massive massive respect for him and his dignified silence. Ireland is still Superman for me.

I was just thinking about Stevie today, he really does have a top attitude towards City not bitching and moaning in the papers like others do. He can't get a game at the moment but you don't hear him complaining, SWP want's a new contract that he can't have and is straight to the press moaning about it. I really hope he get's back in the squad and starts banging the goals in for us.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Crossie » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:22 pm

Its great when we win isnt it
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby ruralblue » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:35 pm

Grit, bollocks and determination, add a tad of skill and yes brilliant attitude x's it by eleven and we will have the makings of a team to compete at the very top level.

Blue Moon is a RISING.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:33 pm

Straight Outta Gorton?
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Grob » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:01 am

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:Straight Outta Gorton?

EFIL4NOTROG
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby The Man In Blue » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:09 am

Range i think you will find.

can i add Lescott to this list? think he has been quality since coming back from injury. real quality, what i'd imagined we were getting off Everton.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Grob » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:11 am

I think most if not all of our players have a good attitude.

Its just sometimes they dont play as well as then can do or they are deployed in the wrong area of the pitch.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Green & Blue » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:20 am

Very true the team we have now has the right attitude.Todays result was just another example of how much the club has come on and how much the attitude has changed at city.
In all competitions Fulham had only lost 3 times at home this season to arsenal,chelsea and villa respectively.It might not seem a huge scalp to some but coming away from craven cottage with 3 points is no easy matter.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby dazby » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:23 am

I'd love to read Socrates comments to this thread. It's a well known fact that attitude was an important factor in Leslie signing players. We are reaping this reward.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby BlueMoonAwoken » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:57 am

Its strange when the players are asked who is the most skillful player at the club and they say ireland. It must be hard for him knowing the talent that he has and is not getting picked. Not sure whether mancini dont like his style because he is very attacking, but for me ireland needs to improve his finishing if he wants to be the attacking mid like lampard and gerrard. He has missed alot of golden oportunities and has fluffed them by being unselfish, at this level you need to be ruthless and accurate.

But yeah Kompany and tevez for me are the stand outs for me, gareth barry controlled the game against fulham as Vieira allowed him to push forward while Vieira covered the defence. I like the look of how much possesion we had yesterday.
"We have Spread Our Dreams Beneath Your Feet, Now your Dreams Become Our Reality"
BlueMoonAwoken
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Swales4ever » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:05 am

BlueMoonAwoken wrote:Its strange when the players are asked who is the most skillful player at the club and they say ireland. It must be hard for him knowing the talent that he has and is not getting picked. Not sure whether mancini dont like his style because he is very attacking, but for me ireland needs to improve his finishing if he wants to be the attacking mid like lampard and gerrard. He has missed alot of golden oportunities and has fluffed them by being unselfish, at this level you need to be ruthless and accurate.

But yeah Kompany and tevez for me are the stand outs for me, gareth barry controlled the game against fulham as Vieira allowed him to push forward while Vieira covered the defence. I like the look of how much possesion we had yesterday.

If I know a bit about the style Mancio likes to play, the recovery of Steven Ireland is just second of his top list - after signing a very top holding-deep lying who can be picked alongwith GB for 40+ game a season (a kind of what PV was untill 4 years ago).
I don't think SI is unselfish at all. I'd better say he has - somehow, don't know why - gone lost in confusion. Maybe just because of all the ramblings of the season. I am confident - and hope I am not wrong - he will bloom again, starting on a clear and designed game plan next season.

I am conforted on the above idea by the dignified composture he's living this temporary frustrating moment, as emphasized into the OP.

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:19 am

Grob wrote:

EFIL4NOTROG

100 Miles And Still Running (Feat Nicky Butt)
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby dikdik » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:36 am

I'm with Mancio...
dikdik
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:58 am

Agree about Ireland. I don't think his on field performances have shown a particularly great attitude but it's great that he's not causing a stir at this important time unlike SWP who's gone right down in my estimation. Respect to Ireland for not being selfish.

I think Ireland will get another chance soon & could still play an important part in the end to the season if he takes it.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Sister of fu » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:32 am

I think getting rid of the likes of Elano and Robinho have helped the cause big time. I like that we have a British core to our team with the likes of Bellers, Shay and Barry all with great attitudes. Would take a Craig Bellemy over a Robinho every day of the week...!!
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Mase » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:47 pm

You know full well if Mancini leaves at the end of the season Ireland will have his usual "he held me back/played me out of position!" rant in the papers. If we're honest Ireland has been crapfor most of the season! Why would he be going to the papers saying he should be starting when he clearly shouldn't? That would make him look very stupid imo, nothing to do with him having a good attitude.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby john@staustell » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:07 pm

Sister of fu wrote:I think getting rid of the likes of Elano and Robinho have helped the cause big time. I like that we have a British core to our team with the likes of Bellers, Shay and Barry all with great attitudes. Would take a Craig Bellemy over a Robinho every day of the week...!!

Would take a Craig Bellamy over TWO Robinhos mate. And 3 Elanos for that matter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:10 pm

i think we can all see the attitude growing.. it may be worth pointing out also that this has happened with all players contributing a bit part in various games.. what is happening more recently is that more players are showing what they are made of at the same time.
We have all been aware for some time that if this team fire on all cylinders on the same day, the result will be frightening and some unlucky team will get totally trounced. ( i hope to fucl it is the rags in the Derby ).

As to SI, i will keep stating my belief that he needs a settled situation to really flourish, too much chopping and changing, injury and illness, part games and system changes for him to get any sense of where he is at the mo, imo.

I would echo Mancio4ever though, Bobby is fully aware that SI is one of our most skillful and creative players and when Bob has the time to dedicate to it ( as opposed to just concentrating on not losing ) he will work hard to get SI back in the thick of it. Personally dont expect that to be until we are safe in 4th or more likely next season.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby gaudy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:48 pm

MaseCTID wrote:You know full well if Mancini leaves at the end of the season Ireland will have his usual "he held me back/played me out of position!" rant in the papers. If we're honest Ireland has been crapfor most of the season! Why would he be going to the papers saying he should be starting when he clearly shouldn't? That would make him look very stupid imo, nothing to do with him having a good attitude.

swp has been blabbin on in the papers about a new contract,yet hes been shit for most of the season...........for a man that "loves" the club,he should be showin better attitude,yet he gets more game time then ireland,and has dowe sfa.
so comparing swp to ireland i would say yes ireland has a great attitude.
gaudy
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum