The Penalty

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The Penalty

Postby Dronny » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:58 am

ant london wrote:
Fish111 wrote:Gareths lack of any sort of protest indicated to me that it was a penalty

Mate he was going fucking mental at the ref telling him to FUCK OFF and NO WAY THAT WAS A FUCKING HANDBALL??

He went spasticated

I commented to my mate at the the time that he certainly had a touch of the Kevin's about him as he stalked the ref!
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Esky » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:13 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:The ball clearly hit his chest. It was shown from multiple angles on Japanese telly and from each one it was clear-cut enough for me to believe that the linesman, who couldn't get his flag up quickly enough, was a cheat. That was not a thing you can get wrong by accident, especially from the angle the linesman had.

Incidentally, the Japanese commentators also agreed with me that it was not handball and while their knowledge is not that great, unlike me they have no axe to grind.

Ref evened it out for us IMO by not giving the 2nd which was clear cut.

Well, no. There is a big difference between giving a penalty to make it 2-1 with twenty minutes to go and giving a penalty to make it 2-1 in injury time.

Exactly; Given hadn't a save to make before the penalty and it brought them right back into it.

Both were awful decisions. The first was not a penalty; nowhere near his arm. Kompany's should have been given though.
Esky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Blue Ship

Postby simon12 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:25 am

I agree with most that first one wasn`t and second we got away with. I also feel that we`ve given a lot of these away this season. In fact I can`t remember a season where we seem to have given a lot of pens away generally or is it just me?
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby Bingo Lewis » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:35 am

simon12 wrote:I agree with most that first one wasn`t and second we got away with. I also feel that we`ve given a lot of these away this season. In fact I can`t remember a season where we seem to have given a lot of pens away generally or is it just me?

I was thinking that yesterday. I'd love it if a statto could get up how many we've given away compared to other teams in the premier league.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:02 am

Neither of them should have given the officials a decision to make imo. There was no need for either to take the risk if their brains had reacted quicker.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby john@staustell » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:13 am

Whether it was or not GB has a nasty habit of moving both arms inwards like that and gives away 2 or 3 handballs per match. I wasn't surprised it was given because of that.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:07 pm

ant london wrote:
Fish111 wrote:Gareths lack of any sort of protest indicated to me that it was a penalty

Mate he was going fucking mental at the ref telling him to FUCK OFF and NO WAY THAT WAS A FUCKING HANDBALL??

He went spasticated

he was fuclin livid. i don't think i've ever seen him break something out like that. He must have told someone -- the ref and a Fulham player i believe -- to FUCK OFF so many times that even my kids were like "ok, awkward. he's saying the F word like 20 times."

The good news is he knew how important giving away that pen was, and he was fuclin gutted. I liked that tbh. it showed some real passion and i think it's what we've lacked more than anything this season in putting together a team that will challenge for honors.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Mase » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:16 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
ant london wrote:

He went spasticated

he was fuclin livid. i don't think i've ever seen him break something out like that. He must have told someone -- the ref and a Fulham player i believe -- to FUCK OFF so many times that even my kids were like "ok, awkward. he's saying the F word like 20 times."

The good news is he knew how important giving away that pen was, and he was fuclin gutted. I liked that tbh. it showed some real passion and i think it's what we've lacked more than anything this season in putting together a team that will challenge for honors.

cheers

I was surprised when he kicked off with that Sunderland player last week and half nutted him and half shouldered him. A new side to Gaz Baz.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby One cap Whitey » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:27 pm

I don't think either should have been. The 2nd one clearly hit Kompany's hand but it was down by his side and hit at him from about two yards. I wouldn't have been surprised if it was given though.
One cap Whitey
De Jong's Tackle

Postby dazby » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:08 pm

His reaction to me was one of frustration rather than one protesting his innocence. At no stage did he show where the ball hit which would have been the normal thing to do. The motd2 replay clearly shows the ball hitting his hand.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:44 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:The ball clearly hit his chest. It was shown from multiple angles on Japanese telly and from each one it was clear-cut enough for me to believe that the linesman, who couldn't get his flag up quickly enough, was a cheat. That was not a thing you can get wrong by accident, especially from the angle the linesman had.

Incidentally, the Japanese commentators also agreed with me that it was not handball and while their knowledge is not that great, unlike me they have no axe to grind.

Coverage in Spain did not show the angles, only the one from side/behind Barry. The commentators however were saying it should not have been a penalty and also questioned the linesman as to why he gave it. I suspect they saw replays on monitors they didn't broadcast.

imo wasnt a pen, Barry often chests the ball in a controlled manner, think he was unlucky the ref had to rely on the official.

also dont think the ball hitting Kompany's hand was worthy of a pen, he may have been more fortunate that the ref could actually see it happen ?
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:50 pm

dazby wrote:The motd2 replay clearly shows the ball hitting his hand.

i haven't seen that replay...just the match replay, which essentially shows the back of him and the ball apparently hitting his chest. Got a link?

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby dazby » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:58 pm

Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum