Swales & Reid......we've waited a long time

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Swales & Reid......we've waited a long time

Postby ant london » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:38 am

to be back in the hat to finish where we currently sit....almost twenty bloody years since Swales hit the panic button and binned Monkey Heid

We've all waited so bloody long.....cmon City....we can fucking do it

Football League Division 1 Season 1990-1991

Football League Division 1 Season 1991-1992
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Re: Swales & Reid......we've waited a long time

Postby dazby » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:55 am

I noticed Peter Reid sitting with Capello at the swamp yesterday.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:37 am

dazby wrote:I noticed Peter Reid sitting with Capello at the swamp yesterday.

Probably because Stoke are still going to play Fulham away.

Anyway, Reid epitomises the differences Internet era has brought. I was big fan of Reid at the time and thought we were crazy to sack him. But some of the stuff I heard later what was going on behind the scenes kind of in hindsight give sacking some sense. We weren't beautiful to watch under Reid but some people exaggarate the whole long football thing. Granted we were somewhat one dimensional at the time but hey, so were most of the other teams of that era.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Crossie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:18 am

70 points fuckin hell good haul that. I remember those seasons, we were pretty good.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Dubciteh » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:44 am

No joking i was talking about reid yesterday a tad ebfore my time but why exactly did we sack him?one of the worse moves we have made it seems....

Ps will there ever be another player manager in the premiership??
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:48 am

Swales said publicly that our finances were in great shape & that Reid had £6 million to spend. Reid mentioned when we hit a sticky patch that he was glad to hear about the £6 million, then was sacked & the £6 million mysteriously disappeared, never to return.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby john@staustell » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:58 am

Reid has consistently done brilliantly initially, then plummeted down. He has proved this many times later. We were starting to plummet when Swales pressed the button. The problem was the replacement - Brian Who?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:58 am

Ted Hughes wrote:Swales said publicly that our finances were in great shape & that Reid had £6 million to spend. Reid mentioned when we hit a sticky patch that he was glad to hear about the £6 million, then was sacked & the £6 million mysteriously disappeared, never to return.

Typical Swales.

Do people remember that Swales was ALWAYS hinting about this and that WORLD CLASS signings around may (incidentally when people were renewing their season tickets), only for none of those rumours ever turning out to be true.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:08 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Swales said publicly that our finances were in great shape & that Reid had £6 million to spend. Reid mentioned when we hit a sticky patch that he was glad to hear about the £6 million, then was sacked & the £6 million mysteriously disappeared, never to return.

Typical Swales.

Do people remember that Swales was ALWAYS hinting about this and that WORLD CLASS signings around may (incidentally when people were renewing their season tickets), only for none of those rumours ever turning out to be true.

Remember it well! The biggest rumour at that time was Dean Saunders, who seemed to be ready & willing to come to City but ended up at Liverpool. City's history would have been changed if he'd been paired with Quinn up front in that team.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:38 am

I was so glad to see the back of Reid. Why did we sack him? Well besides the wretched football, we had been in shocking form in the latter part of the previous season and had started the new one even worse. We were quite definitely going to struggle not to go down that season. The word at the time was that Horton was lined up to come in as coach to replace 'long ball' man Sam Ellis. Reid kicked up a fuss about it at a time when his position was weak.
Horton coming in as manager wasn't the problem, that came in the shape of Frany Lee's first appointment, the dreadful Alan Ball.
Under Reid was the closest I ever came to packing in going. It was fucking awful.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Manx Blue » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:13 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

Typical Swales.

Remember it well! The biggest rumour at that time was Dean Saunders, who seemed to be ready & willing to come to City but ended up at Liverpool. City's history would have been changed if he'd been paired with Quinn up front in that team.

I remember when I was young free and Single coming across to many of the games at the arse end in 94 ish. If we stayed up Brian Laudrup was going to be bought for around £5 Mill, Les Ferdinand was another name thrown into the hat. I remember the Saunders one too. He was a City fan from birth by all accounts,and was allegedly seen at Maine Road on many an occasion.Didn't Quinny save his penalty in the game against Derby County that time?
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Crossie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:26 pm

He did, and we won 1-0 from Quinns goal before we put the gloves on.

It was basically Franny Lee appointing Ball that fucked us up for 10 years.

Bad mouth Swales all you want, but in retrospect, we should have let him stick around for a few more years until he decided to hang up his pens.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Dunnylad » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Yes didn't we finish 5th (basically a Kendall inherited team), 5th and 9th, but that last season we had a terrible run - memories of Martyn Margetson playing dreadful against someone like Bolton? Memory isn't what it used to be - didn't he get subbed and we let in 5? Anyway after a really bad run, we started the next season in equally poor form and the excuse was that Reid lost x number of matches on the trot...

Mind you're right about the football, was terrible for most of that final season, we had no need for a midfield, was like watching a game of tennis and yes Sam Ellis was probably to blame - least that's where everyone pointed the finger.

As for Reid only need to see that Premier Passions (?) programme - management style is to rant and rant, works well (for some) in the short-term, but unless you have the ability to change that style (and Reid didn't) it ends up becoming ineffective in the long run (same when he managed Sunderland - cracking couple of seasons in Premier League).
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Spewed onto the Motorway Shoulder,
I Could Have Been Somebody Special."
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Georgi Kinkladze

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:41 pm

Just to be a pedant I have a memory of us winning that game 2-1, with Quinn scoring one of the goals. His first action was to turn the penno round the post, and from the resulting corner he rose majestically to make a clean catch to rapturous applause.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Manx Blue » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:41 pm

Dunnylad wrote:Yes didn't we finish 5th (basically a Kendall inherited team), 5th and 9th, but that last season we had a terrible run - memories of Martyn Margetson playing dreadful against someone like Bolton? Memory isn't what it used to be - didn't he get subbed and we let in 5? Anyway after a really bad run, we started the next season in equally poor form and the excuse was that Reid lost x number of matches on the trot...

Mind you're right about the football, was terrible for most of that final season, we had no need for a midfield, was like watching a game of tennis and yes Sam Ellis was probably to blame - least that's where everyone pointed the finger.

As for Reid only need to see that Premier Passions (?) programme - management style is to rant and rant, works well (for some) in the short-term, but unless you have the ability to change that style (and Reid didn't) it ends up becoming ineffective in the long run (same when he managed Sunderland - cracking couple of seasons in Premier League).

I think that last game was against Everton? lost 5-0 or something at Home, and they didn't do a lap of honour in case there "was a riot"

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue

Postby Dunnylad » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:51 pm

Manx Blue wrote:
Dunnylad wrote:Yes didn't we finish 5th (basically a Kendall inherited team), 5th and 9th, but that last season we had a terrible run - memories of Martyn Margetson playing dreadful against someone like Bolton? Memory isn't what it used to be - didn't he get subbed and we let in 5?

I think that last game was against Everton? lost 5-0 or something at Home, and they didn't do a lap of honour in case there "was a riot"

The wonders of the web I have found it on Margetson's pen profile on MCIVTA...it was Everton we lost 5-2 and Margetson was replaced at half-time by Andy Dibble

http://mcivta.com/players/old/margetson.html
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Spewed onto the Motorway Shoulder,
I Could Have Been Somebody Special."
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Georgi Kinkladze

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:54 pm

We lost five two. We had one just four games from February onwards and our 'style' of a big punt to Quinn with the lighning fast White playing for flick ons had been well and truly rumbled. Reid had no other answer. The start of the next season saw us get a point against Leeds but even a draw was robbery with violence. After four games we still only had that one point and hadn't added to the goal on the opening day. We were shit to watch and we were losing....not a happy combination.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Manx Blue » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:56 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:We lost five two. We had one just four games from February onwards and our 'style' of a big punt to Quinn with the lighning fast White playing for flick ons had been well and truly rumbled. Reid had no other answer. The start of the next season saw us get a point against Leeds but even a draw was robbery with violence. After four games we still only had that one point and hadn't added to the goal on the opening day. We were shit to watch and we were losing....not a happy combination.

Something Liverpool will now realise there!!

Manx Blue

Postby eastlands-lostboy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:57 pm

When I only 14yrs old Swales pushed me over to the ground when I asked for an autograph vs Leeds at Elland Rd he told me to fuck off and not bother him or others, I nearly turned to watching Leeds I am 54 and still with City..Swales was a twat.
My wife says " You only support City because they keep going down on you"
eastlands-lostboy
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby glyntowen » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:39 pm

this was the time where Swales said there was the £6 million but money was needed for the Kippax rebuild

Reid wanted Andy Townsend and Trevor Sinclair and the annual chase for Paul Stewart. Townsend was old (29/30) and they wanted 2 million, Swales didnt want to pay it, Villa did - he would have been a good signing. QPR stumped up £1 million for Trev (another one missed at the time) and then Swales offered half of what liverpool wanted for Stewart (actually a good thing on Swales's part)

think we ended up with Alfonso Groenidik so something - many false hopes in the summer transfer market under Swales

Reid teamed up with Paul Hince @ the MUEN and did a thing about quitting if funds werent available, Swales lost it and brought in John Maddock to axe Reid

a few seasons before he got stung for £2.5 mill for Terry Phelan, decent player but the price was about £750,000 until palace - who shared the ground with Wimbledon, suddenly offered £2 mill.

Swales wasnt the sharpest tool in box when it came to transfers, always remember him saying he wouldn't accept £2 mill for Paul Stewart, in the end he didn't, he accepted £1.7 mill instead !

the football under Reid towards the end was dire though......
glyntowen
Negouai's Red Cards

Return to The Maine Football forum