Javi on track for Europe

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Javi on track for Europe

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:44 pm

City's dream of Champions League football is entirely in their own hands reckons Javi Garrido.

The Spaniard was a late replacement for Joleon Lescott in the Blues' fine win over Fulham that places them two points behind Spurs, who currently occupy that all-important fourth place in the Barclays Premier League table, but with a crucial game in hand.

It is that extra match and a run-in including six home games that gives City the edge acording to Garrido.

"We're going the right way with a few games to go," he declared. "There are a few home games coming up and we have to be strong at home, like we have been so far this season. Getting that fourth position is in our hands.

"Our challenge has always been to get into the top four, there has been a lot of money invested to make this into a big, big club. There are a lot of great players here and we have a bigger squad than ever so the players all know that the challenge is to make sure we end the season in the top four."

Javi's first start for a month came about when Joleon Lescott, originally picked at left-back, pulled out during the warm-up with a tight hamstring.

"I knew that Joleon had felt something in his hamstring," the 25-year-old recalled."I am always ready to go in. It was not a great situation but I'm happy that I got the chance to play.

"I just have to do my job, I've not
played for a few weeks and obviously I
want to play week-in, week-out. But I
understand the manager's decisions so
when he calls me I know I have to be
ready."

Lescott has been ruled out of Wednesday's crucial encounter with Everton, and if given the nod again, Javi accepts that it will be another searching examination of City's European credentials.

"We need to rest well because Everton will be another really tough game. They work very hard for the whole game so it will be very difficult for us," he said.

"They have turned their season around and are always hard to play against, so we will have to get it right against them."

mcfc.co.uk
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Javi on track for Europe

Postby dazby » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:48 am

I'd like to see us try and get more free kicks just outside the bo>< when he plays. He's such a weapon.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Tokyo Blue » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:58 am

I thought Garrido did alright on Sunday. He is better with Bellamy in front of him than he ever was playing behind with Petrov or Robinho.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Grob » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:05 pm

Garrido did alright Sunday but he's not good enough to be a top 4 regular or even squad member.

I'd like to see him and Sylvinho leave in the summer and the club to invest in a young up and coming full back in the mould of Ashley Cole/Patrice Evra. Its not like we cant afford it.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Vhero » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:27 pm

Grob wrote:Garrido did alright Sunday but he's not good enough to be a top 4 regular or even squad member.

I'd like to see him and Sylvinho leave in the summer and the club to invest in a young up and coming full back in the mould of Ashley Cole/Patrice Evra. Its not like we cant afford it.

Agreed but we will have to grin and bear for now.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Return to The Maine Football forum