Ticketing policy to upset Seasoncard holders?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Ticketing policy to upset Seasoncard holders?

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:07 pm

ant london wrote:What a selection of whining cunty comments on this thread.

When we don't sell out everyone bleats that it's a disgrace

If it isn't a full house for tonight, a match not on TV, which is probably going to define our season...then it would have been a fucking disgrace.

The club has taken action to ensure that we stand the best chance of having a packed Eastlands behind the team (granted a move like this will make some feel like they've been swizzed but really there is not other way of doing it at the last minute so why not just deal with it and concentrate on supporting the fucking team).

Rather than moaning about how terrible the club is for doing this why don't you moan about the lack of dedication from your fellow fans who clearly couldn't be arsed to get along to such an important game.

Are you going mate?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby nick (duki blues) » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:44 pm

btajim wrote:
nick (duki blues) wrote:i paid £36x3 £108 for my tickets last week but im not going to moan about it we just need to get behind the team on a night that could put us in pole position for that 4th spot so if anyone gets a bargain priced ticket tonight good luck to them

Would you have waited had City reduced "on the night" tickets for £10?

no not really for all i know it could of sold out at the weekend at the end of the day i wanted to be at the match like the rest of you
nick (duki blues)
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby btajim » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:50 pm

lythamblue wrote:We have just become like everyone else. You buy your season Ticket to save hassle and get the fringe benefits ..... not to save money.

I disagree. People have to cough up £500 a time for a Seasoncard (more if it's Dad and two Kids) and that can be more difficult money for people to find in one lump as opposed to Phil Scally getting in for a Tenner tonight. He's bored and he fancies a laugh!
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby nick (duki blues) » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:30 pm

well even at a tenner tonight no fooker got a bargain watching that
nick (duki blues)
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby bluechester » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:38 pm

city give hundreds of tickets away for free anyway for most games, ive had a few freebies in the past, dont see the problem for tickets for a tenner, gets the more casual fan com ing through the gate & gets the staduim full, but i bet people had kept hold of their tenner aftrer this game
bluechester
Superman's Underpants

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:28 pm

john@staustell wrote:
Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:
john@staustell wrote:
Guy Debord wrote:I hope the place is full and buzzing tonight after this move.

The lack of atmosphere is in large part a result of expensive tickets pricing younger fans out of the game. Back at Maine Road in the '80's a large proportion of the fans were in there 20's. Now the average age seems to be 40's.

I wonder how old you are though Guy - in your 40s like me? It's just that we all stood with other youngsters at that time. I know we've had a rough time but I bet the only change in the crowd profile is down to greater safety drawing in far more fans in football in general.

Check out a few sample top flight attendances:

5/10/85 City v Chelsea 20,104
9/11/85 City v Ipswich 20,853
23/11/85 City v Newcastle 25,179
14/12/85 City v Coventry 20,075

21,674, 20,540, 20,414, 20,099, 18,899 v Watford, 19,590 home to Arsenal, 19,715 against euro sup-giant Forest..................etc etc

No, nostalgia is a terrible thing. I went to a lot of football in the 80s and though we look back on it fondly, everything about football then was bloody dire except that at the time I loved a good punch-up. There are some that want to go back down those roads of course. Sigh!

We were still 4th in attendances that season. Crowds were lower in general for many reasons then. Check out Arse, Chelsea, Spuds......... and Euro super giant Forest.

4 Manchester City 24.229
5 Arsenal 23.824
6 Newcastle U***d 23.434
7 Sheffield Wednesday 23.111
8 Chelsea 21.985
9 West Ham U***d 21.179
10 Tottenham Hotpsur 20.859
11 Nottingham Forest 16.809

Yes I know Piccs, but Guy was talking about the great 80s atmosphere. Fact is those were horrible attendances in half-empty great stadia. Great? No. Intimidating? Yes. Nostagia - Ugh!

There were plenty of games in the 80's where the atmosphere in the Kippax under that low roof was great. Intimidating and thrilling.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Guy Debord » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:45 pm

john@staustell wrote:
john@staustell wrote:
Guy Debord wrote:I hope the place is full and buzzing tonight after this move.

The lack of atmosphere is in large part a result of expensive tickets pricing younger fans out of the game. Back at Maine Road in the '80's a large proportion of the fans were in there 20's. Now the average age seems to be 40's.

I wonder how old you are though Guy - in your 40s like me? It's just that we all stood with other youngsters at that time. I know we've had a rough time but I bet the only change in the crowd profile is down to greater safety drawing in far more fans in football in general.

Check out a few sample top flight attendances:

5/10/85 City v Chelsea 20,104
9/11/85 City v Ipswich 20,853
23/11/85 City v Newcastle 25,179
14/12/85 City v Coventry 20,075

21,674, 20,540, 20,414, 20,099, 18,899 v Watford, 19,590 home to Arsenal, 19,715 against euro sup-giant Forest..................etc etc

No, nostalgia is a terrible thing. I went to a lot of football in the 80s and though we look back on it fondly, everything about football then was bloody dire except that at the time I loved a good punch-up. There are some that want to go back down those roads of course. Sigh!

We were still 4th in attendances that season. Crowds were lower in general for many reasons then. Check out Arse, Chelsea, Spuds......... and Euro super giant Forest.

4 Manchester City 24.229
5 Arsenal 23.824
6 Newcastle U***d 23.434
7 Sheffield Wednesday 23.111
8 Chelsea 21.985
9 West Ham U***d 21.179
10 Tottenham Hotpsur 20.859
11 Nottingham Forest 16.809

Yes I know Piccs, but Guy was talking about the great 80s atmosphere. Fact is those were horrible attendances in half-empty great stadia. Great? No. Intimidating? Yes. Nostagia - Ugh!

There were plenty of games in the 80's where the atmosphere in the Kippax under that low roof was great. Intimidating and thrilling.

I'm not being nostalgic at all. I was there in the 80's but comparisons with now are irrelevant as much has changed. It matters little if you have 20,000 or 60,000 fat middle-aged men sitting on blue seats. The atmosphere will still be shit. Look at Old Trafford 75,000 and no atmosphere, Arsenal 60,000 the same. To an extent it's due to seating, but it's also due to the changing demographic of football fans. The atmosphere comes from the cheap seats.

Here's Botafogo in a 70% empty Maracana.

[youtube]xfi3rvFKIPU[/youtube]
Guy Debord
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Columma Durruti

Postby Guy Debord » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:54 pm

Found this 2007 article by David Conn in the Guardian:

Tom Woodhouse is 24 and loves his football. He reads about it, reels off player stats like a human Opta and rarely misses watching a big game in the pub with his mates. He never, though, goes to a live match. Tickets grew savagely expensive through his childhood, and his Dad took Tom and his brother Sam to rugby league instead. Tom went to the University of Central Lancashire, where Blackburn was the nearest Premier League club, but as a student Tom could not afford around £30 for a ticket. Neither he nor his mates ever developed the habit of going to games live.

"Now I'm working I could afford it," he says. "But if I have £30 to spare, I'd prefer maybe to do some sport myself, or have a night out, rather than spend it on watching 90 minutes of football."

In the recent, long-overdue criticism of the Premier League's wallet-screwing ticket prices, nobody pointed out its most obvious effect: a large proportion of those who cannot afford to go to matches are young. Before the rampant ticket inflation, young people crowded on to the terraces of the big clubs and became fans for life, but since the Premier League was formed in 1992, a large part of a generation has been priced out. Clubs have mostly offered concessions - still not cheap - for under-16s but above that they have charged full price. Few teenagers, students or young people in their first jobs can afford £30 a ticket, or £400 for a season ticket, even with some clubs' credit deals, at 19.9% APR.

According to the Premier League's most recent supporters' survey, last season (2005/6) just 9%, less than one in 10 supporters, was under 24. The average age of a Premier League fan was 43, part of the balding army who fell in love with football in the 1970s, then developed a supporting habit through the 1980s when it still cost £2 or £3 to get in.

The memory that terraces were packed with teenagers and young lads - not always, it has to be said, behaving impeccably - is supported by the limited statistics available from the time. In those earthier days, the Football League did not conduct surveys of those paying at the turnstiles and pouring in, but some clubs pondering commercial strategies did employ Leicester University's Sir Norman Chester Centre to do so. The surveys found that at Coventry City, then in the old First Division, in 1983, 22% of fans were aged 16-20. At Aston Villa as late as 1992, the survey found 25% of the crowd was 16-20, while at Arsenal, then League Champions, 17% of fans were 16-20.

The proportion of young people steadily reduced as prices went up after the Taylor Report recommended all-seater stadia in 1990, and the First Division clubs broke away from the other three divisions to form the Premier League two years later. In 1989-90, the average price to watch Manchester United was £4.71; it was £5.41 to go to Anfield, £6.71 to see George Graham's Arsenal. The lowest prices, to stand, were a good deal cheaper than that. Lord Justice Taylor called on the clubs not to use all-seater refurbishments as a reason to raise ticket prices, but although they were given up to £2m grants of public money to aid their rebuilding, the clubs all ignored his recommendation.

Clubs do not publish average ticket prices now, but, roughly, they have put the cost up by 600% since then, while, according to the Office for National Statistics, prices in general rose around 82% over the same period. At Manchester United, most tickets are between £30 and £37 now, Liverpool charge mostly £32 for category B games, £34 for category A, while Arsenal charge between £32 and £66 for category B games, £46 and £94 for category A. All three clubs make some half-price concession tickets available for young people but only until the age of 16.

The Premier League responds to the criticism that rising costs have priced people out by recalling that attendances were lower in the 1980s, when the game was blighted by hooliganism and the squalid state of some grounds. Total attendances are up 65% since 1992, with Manchester United's sell-out 76,000 crowds setting records. "The under-24s figure may be 9%," a Premier League spokesman said, "but it is 9% of higher crowds than before, so we don't know if there are fewer young people overall. Some clubs have reduced prices for next season and we have always encouraged clubs to have a range of prices."

Yet the Premier League's evidence does seem to back up the blindingly obvious at matches, that going to football is no longer a coming-of-age ritual for younger people. The Norman Chester Centre's surveys for the Premier League between 1994 and 2001 found the crowd was steadily ageing. Older fans were returning to the revitalised game while the loyal stayed with it, and paid the increases. A younger generation grew up watching the game in pubs.

John Williams, of Leicester University's renamed Centre for the Sociology of Sport, recalls the Premier League being attracted by US sport, and deliberately aiming for a well-off audience. "Crowd loyalty and numbers are greater now because of the Premier League's attractiveness," he says. "But clearly there are dramatically fewer young people. In the 1980s there was a problem with hooliganism partly because young people were there, they could afford to go. For all its problems, there was something socially healthy about football being an inclusive place where people from all backgrounds came together. Something really quite important has been lost."

The sports minister, Richard Caborn, agrees, saying that clubs' community work with disadvantaged young people is undermined by the fact that those same young people cannot afford to watch the clubs' matches. "If they are serious about social inclusion, the clubs have to make that link," he said.

The German Football Association (DFB) decided to allow standing - still a contentious issue here - partly to enable cheaper prices to be available for younger people. Top level Bundesliga games can be watched for as little as £6
. "Football, being a people's sport, should not banish the socially disadvantaged from its stadia," the DFB said in a policy statement. "Football is culture. It involves the solidarity inspired by a sense of community. For young people, fan culture is an important factor in the development of their personality."

Steven Powell, of the Football Supporters Federation, which is running a petition for £15 as a fair price to watch football here, believes our clubs are storing up a problem for crowds' loyalty in the future: "Football will bitterly regret losing an entire generation. The clubs should have learned from North American sport about how to run a competitively balanced league, but they learned the wrong lesson. They put prices up, and ignored social inclusion. Our football administrators are obsessed with money above all else."
Guy Debord
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Columma Durruti

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:59 pm

Eastlands has rocked,Hamburg,Arse at home,some but not all derbies,Chelsea earlier this season,scary scary atmospheres miles better than anything i ever heard at Maine Road.
Last night it was getting going really nicely,then the ref started breaking the game up,they then scored and it knocked the stuffing out of us and the noise never came back.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby btajim » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:44 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:Eastlands has rocked,Hamburg,Arse at home,some but not all derbies,Chelsea earlier this season,scary scary atmospheres miles better than anything i ever heard at Maine Road.
Last night it was getting going really nicely,then the ref started breaking the game up,they then scored and it knocked the stuffing out of us and the noise never came back.

Hamburg was such a special night. The atmosphere and community inside the Ground was incredible. I was in East Level 1 and everyone was Standing.

And I only paid £5 for my ticket...
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby BetaManchester » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:45 pm

It would be incredible if it was £10 to attend. But £20 a game behind the goals is top value.
BetaManchester
Joey Barton's Twitter Account

Supporter of: Our club.
My favourite player is: Goat.. or is it Kinky??

Postby gillie » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:55 pm

Guy Debord wrote:Found this 2007 article by David Conn in the Guardian:

Tom Woodhouse is 24 and loves his football. He reads about it, reels off player stats like a human Opta and rarely misses watching a big game in the pub with his mates. He never, though, goes to a live match. Tickets grew savagely expensive through his childhood, and his Dad took Tom and his brother Sam to rugby league instead. Tom went to the University of Central Lancashire, where Blackburn was the nearest Premier League club, but as a student Tom could not afford around £30 for a ticket. Neither he nor his mates ever developed the habit of going to games live.

"Now I'm working I could afford it," he says. "But if I have £30 to spare, I'd prefer maybe to do some sport myself, or have a night out, rather than spend it on watching 90 minutes of football."

In the recent, long-overdue criticism of the Premier League's wallet-screwing ticket prices, nobody pointed out its most obvious effect: a large proportion of those who cannot afford to go to matches are young. Before the rampant ticket inflation, young people crowded on to the terraces of the big clubs and became fans for life, but since the Premier League was formed in 1992, a large part of a generation has been priced out. Clubs have mostly offered concessions - still not cheap - for under-16s but above that they have charged full price. Few teenagers, students or young people in their first jobs can afford £30 a ticket, or £400 for a season ticket, even with some clubs' credit deals, at 19.9% APR.

According to the Premier League's most recent supporters' survey, last season (2005/6) just 9%, less than one in 10 supporters, was under 24. The average age of a Premier League fan was 43, part of the balding army who fell in love with football in the 1970s, then developed a supporting habit through the 1980s when it still cost £2 or £3 to get in.

The memory that terraces were packed with teenagers and young lads - not always, it has to be said, behaving impeccably - is supported by the limited statistics available from the time. In those earthier days, the Football League did not conduct surveys of those paying at the turnstiles and pouring in, but some clubs pondering commercial strategies did employ Leicester University's Sir Norman Chester Centre to do so. The surveys found that at Coventry City, then in the old First Division, in 1983, 22% of fans were aged 16-20. At Aston Villa as late as 1992, the survey found 25% of the crowd was 16-20, while at Arsenal, then League Champions, 17% of fans were 16-20.

The proportion of young people steadily reduced as prices went up after the Taylor Report recommended all-seater stadia in 1990, and the First Division clubs broke away from the other three divisions to form the Premier League two years later. In 1989-90, the average price to watch Manchester U***d was £4.71; it was £5.41 to go to Anfield, £6.71 to see George Graham's Arsenal. The lowest prices, to stand, were a good deal cheaper than that. Lord Justice Taylor called on the clubs not to use all-seater refurbishments as a reason to raise ticket prices, but although they were given up to £2m grants of public money to aid their rebuilding, the clubs all ignored his recommendation.

Clubs do not publish average ticket prices now, but, roughly, they have put the cost up by 600% since then, while, according to the Office for National Statistics, prices in general rose around 82% over the same period. At Manchester U***d, most tickets are between £30 and £37 now, Liverpool charge mostly £32 for category B games, £34 for category A, while Arsenal charge between £32 and £66 for category B games, £46 and £94 for category A. All three clubs make some half-price concession tickets available for young people but only until the age of 16.

The Premier League responds to the criticism that rising costs have priced people out by recalling that attendances were lower in the 1980s, when the game was blighted by hooliganism and the squalid state of some grounds. Total attendances are up 65% since 1992, with Manchester U***d's sell-out 76,000 crowds setting records. "The under-24s figure may be 9%," a Premier League spokesman said, "but it is 9% of higher crowds than before, so we don't know if there are fewer young people overall. Some clubs have reduced prices for next season and we have always encouraged clubs to have a range of prices."

Yet the Premier League's evidence does seem to back up the blindingly obvious at matches, that going to football is no longer a coming-of-age ritual for younger people. The Norman Chester Centre's surveys for the Premier League between 1994 and 2001 found the crowd was steadily ageing. Older fans were returning to the revitalised game while the loyal stayed with it, and paid the increases. A younger generation grew up watching the game in pubs.

John Williams, of Leicester University's renamed Centre for the Sociology of Sport, recalls the Premier League being attracted by US sport, and deliberately aiming for a well-off audience. "Crowd loyalty and numbers are greater now because of the Premier League's attractiveness," he says. "But clearly there are dramatically fewer young people. In the 1980s there was a problem with hooliganism partly because young people were there, they could afford to go. For all its problems, there was something socially healthy about football being an inclusive place where people from all backgrounds came together. Something really quite important has been lost."

The sports minister, Richard Caborn, agrees, saying that clubs' community work with disadvantaged young people is undermined by the fact that those same young people cannot afford to watch the clubs' matches. "If they are serious about social inclusion, the clubs have to make that link," he said.

The German Football Association (DFB) decided to allow standing - still a contentious issue here - partly to enable cheaper prices to be available for younger people. Top level Bundesliga games can be watched for as little as £6
. "Football, being a people's sport, should not banish the socially disadvantaged from its stadia," the DFB said in a policy statement. "Football is culture. It involves the solidarity inspired by a sense of community. For young people, fan culture is an important factor in the development of their personality."

Steven Powell, of the Football Supporters Federation, which is running a petition for £15 as a fair price to watch football here, believes our clubs are storing up a problem for crowds' loyalty in the future: "Football will bitterly regret losing an entire generation. The clubs should have learned from North American sport about how to run a competitively balanced league, but they learned the wrong lesson. They put prices up, and ignored social inclusion. Our football administrators are obsessed with money above all else."

Guy i read that and found it to be very thought provoking mate good find.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:17 pm

gillie wrote:
Guy Debord wrote:Found this 2007 article by David Conn in the Guardian:

The proportion of young people steadily reduced as prices went up after the Taylor Report recommended all-seater stadia in 1990, and the First Division clubs broke away from the other three divisions to form the Premier League two years later. In 1989-90, the average price to watch Manchester U***d was £4.71; it was £5.41 to go to Anfield, £6.71 to see George Graham's Arsenal. The lowest prices, to stand, were a good deal cheaper than that. Lord Justice Taylor called on the clubs not to use all-seater refurbishments as a reason to raise ticket prices, but although they were given up to £2m grants of public money to aid their rebuilding, the clubs all ignored his recommendation.

Clubs do not publish average ticket prices now, but, roughly, they have put the cost up by 600% since then, while, according to the Office for National Statistics, prices in general rose around 82% over the same period. At Manchester U***d, most tickets are between £30 and £37 now, Liverpool charge mostly £32 for category B games, £34 for category A, while Arsenal charge between £32 and £66 for category B games, £46 and £94 for category A. All three clubs make some half-price concession tickets available for young people but only until the age of 16.

The Premier League responds to the criticism that rising costs have priced people out by recalling that attendances were lower in the 1980s, when the game was blighted by hooliganism and the squalid state of some grounds. Total attendances are up 65% since 1992, with Manchester U***d's sell-out 76,000 crowds setting records. "The under-24s figure may be 9%," a Premier League spokesman said, "but it is 9% of higher crowds than before, so we don't know if there are fewer young people overall. Some clubs have reduced prices for next season and we have always encouraged clubs to have a range of prices."

Guy i read that and found it to be very thought provoking mate good find.

Its a decent article, except for being totally factually incorrect. 1990, £4,71, who the fuck is he trying to kid. I had just turned 12 then, and went watching Bury every week home and away. Absolute total bullshit sunshine, thats what them statistics are. Even back then it was £4.50 for kids.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum