Corners & Free Kicks

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Corners & Free Kicks

Postby Dubciteh » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:56 pm

taken off our set piece taker didnt help either but we were poor, so was our fullbacks delivery in important areas. Zabba didnt beat first man at all when moved to the right, he had one decent one in 1st half and fuck all else. id go as far and say we missed spanish gaz
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Mr Miyagi » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:01 pm

I'm still reeling from the fact their goal kicks were being taken by an outfield player, which would mean our strikers are all onside, and yet everyone retreated for a goal kick as normal..... have players got no brains?

We should have been pushing right up the pitch.
I must remember to get a new signature.....
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Moonchesteri » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 pm

Svensational wrote:Why the fuck every time we take a corner or a free kick, fuck all becomes of it?

Its either a lofted cross or a shit ball into the wall where we cant do fuck all. Im sick to fucking death of it.
In the last minute just then Bellamy took a corner and it was like a swerving rocket into the box, why the fuck can we not do that for 90mins?!?

Exactly. It did my head in tonight when they lofted those slow, high balls to the area and more often than not to places where we only have one player at best (against at least two oppos).
I'd say put each one of the lads to train some proper corners,set pieces whatever for a whole day. And spank them if they put in a poor ball.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby london blue 2 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:05 pm

Svensational wrote:Why the fuck every time we take a corner or a free kick, fuck all becomes of it?

Its either a lofted cross or a shit ball into the wall where we cant do fuck all. Im sick to fucking death of it. In the last minute just then Bellamy took a corner and it was like a swerving rocket into the box, why the fuck can we not do that for 90mins?!?

I dont mind lofting the ball but surely they're good enough to put a lofted ball in a certain area every time. our corners go all over the fucking place...
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Original Dub » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:08 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:I'm still reeling from the fact their goal kicks were being taken by an outfield player, which would mean our strikers are all onside, and yet everyone retreated for a goal kick as normal..... have players got no brains?

Fuck me Sherlock, I never even thought of that!

I'm just generally disgusted to be honest... fortress COMS? When was the last time we won at this FORTRESS?

Fucking 9th of Febuary against the mighty bolton.

Its all well and good to say we were unbeaten at home since last April, but under Mancini every single game is a cagey away game noe, so the whole thing of feeling invincible at home is definitely GONE IMO.
Original Dub

Postby branny » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:09 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:I'm still reeling from the fact their goal kicks were being taken by an outfield player, which would mean our strikers are all onside, and yet everyone retreated for a goal kick as normal..... [highlight]have players got no brains[/highlight]?

Clearly not as they spend a lot of time passing back to Given for him to lump it forward for Tevez to try and win in the air.
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby Bojinov's left foot » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:17 pm

It is frustrating that we do not score more goals from free kicks or corners. We have players who should be scoring at least a few goals a season e.g. Richards, Kompany, Santa Cruz, Toure & Barry to name only five. Why are they not doing this? Surely in training this is worked on?

We also need more variation on free kicks. We have players with creation e.g. Tevez and Ireland, we have a Manager who was a creative forward - please can we see something a little different than playing it in for someone to get a head to. Try playing it down the wing and a low cross at speed for players running in because they know it is going to happen! Of course I guess it is not that easy but give it a try.

On a different but related point - leave two players up when we concede a corner and tell the quick players e.g. Bellamy & SWP to run quick asap when Given gets the ball, Given then releasing it quickly of course to areas where players are expecting it. Sometimes it will work and we may score, sometimes it won't and the opposition will get the ball but they will be on the half way line and our players can press them. Try it.
Bojinov's left foot
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby dazby » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:03 am

Thing is, when you've got a manager that's been at the club for a while you can work on that sort of stuff. Mancio will still be trying to fit the team into his mould.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby the_georgian_genius » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:25 am

The delivery tonight was so poor and frustrating from Barry in particular, he over hit at least 3 free kicks.
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Steve » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:26 am

I think Petrov and Bellamy provide good service into the box from set pieces. They put good pace on the ball and whip it in at a good height, usually in the right sort of area. Johnson since he has joined has been a bit 50/50. Sometimes good, sometimes not so. I think he will improve with practice though. Barry's set pieces depress me. It's like slipping a wet fart out into the breeze. Usually they are floated in at such a slow pace, defenders have all the time in the world to react and deal with it. Tonight they didn't have to, cause it wasn't going anywhere near any other football player, at any point.
There's only one Antoine!
Steve
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Rays
My favourite player is: Evan Longoria

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:28 am

Mr Miyagi wrote:I'm still reeling from the fact their goal kicks were being taken by an outfield player, which would mean our strikers are all onside, and yet everyone retreated for a goal kick as normal..... have players got no brains?

Never thought of that until you pointed it out. But if the players had no brains, what about Mancini or the other coaching staff ?
You would think one of them would have pick up on this !!
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby blootoof » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:37 am

We aint too clever at throw-ins either.
blootoof
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Beeks » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:40 am

Its either a lofted cross or a shit ball into the wall where we cant do fuck all. Im sick to fucking death of it. In the last minute just then Bellamy took a corner and it was like a swerving rocket into the box, why the fuck can we not do that for 90mins?!?

It's another City curse...the 'get fuck all from corners' curse
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Lees Alter Ego » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:11 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but havent we scored alot of goals this season from set pieces? thought we were one of the highest in the prem? we have definately improved on last year where we hardly scored any.

I dont think its the scoring from the set peices we should be worried about, its our defending, think that was our 19th goal conceeded from a set piece which isnt good enough.
Lees Alter Ego
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Return to The Maine Football forum