NDJ

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: NDJ

Postby Fish111 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:17 am

Lost a game have we? NDJ the scapegoat this week? Wasn't there threads earlier in the season praising him and stating he's been our player of the season so far? How times and thinking change after a defeat eh? He hasn't and never will be a creative midfielder, he was brought in to be the player he is which is a tough tackling, ball-winning defensive midfielder. He wasn't brought in to be City's answer to Messi. Our midfield is shit this season partly because of the total loss of form of last seasons player of the year. If superman showed nearly as much flare as last term we wouldn't be having this discussion about NDJ's style of play.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby avoidconfusion » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:37 am

I don't think NDJ is the sole issue here. I think he is a very good player but like I said many times all the midfielders we have are far too similar and none of them is really creative apart from Ireland who is in terrible form.

I wish Hughes had not sold Elano to be honest we really miss his creative spark.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby btajim » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:45 am

eastlandsblue wrote:lets have it right, none of our midfield would be in the rags gunners or chelsea teams. And there lies the problem

I disagree. De Jong has had MOTM performances in Matches against some of these sides and Ireland has got the potential to be one of the best creative Midfielders in the Country. It's just finding that potential and keeping it.

We've got great players. It's a case of using them right. We're 5th. Not 15th.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby mcfc1632 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:47 am

avoidconfusion wrote:I don't think NDJ is the sole issue here. I think he is a very good player but like I said many times all the midfielders we have are far too similar and none of them is really creative apart from Ireland who is in terrible form.

I wish Hughes had not sold Elano to be honest we really miss his creative spark.

Views on elano are spilt - but one thing is certain - the more you have a player like him, Rob and many others - if they are in the team - you need an NDJ even more - NDJ is not the problem - you need a creative side as well - NDJ is the best DM we have - so if there needs to be a change - it is elsewhere - unless people just want a scapegoat - Oh....
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:23 am

Fish111 wrote:Lost a game have we? NDJ the scapegoat this week? Wasn't there threads earlier in the season praising him and stating he's been our player of the season so far? How times and thinking change after a defeat eh? He hasn't and never will be a creative midfielder, he was brought in to be the player he is which is a tough tackling, ball-winning defensive midfielder. He wasn't brought in to be City's answer to Messi. Our midfield is shit this season partly because of the total loss of form of last seasons player of the year. If superman showed nearly as much flare as last term we wouldn't be having this discussion about NDJ's style of play.

Really? That's crazy.

My critisism of De Jong is about his overall style of play. I have said it before, after games we won as well.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby mcfc1632 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:27 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Fish111 wrote:Lost a game have we? NDJ the scapegoat this week? Wasn't there threads earlier in the season praising him and stating he's been our player of the season so far? How times and thinking change after a defeat eh? He hasn't and never will be a creative midfielder, he was brought in to be the player he is which is a tough tackling, ball-winning defensive midfielder. He wasn't brought in to be City's answer to Messi. Our midfield is shit this season partly because of the total loss of form of last seasons player of the year. If superman showed nearly as much flare as last term we wouldn't be having this discussion about NDJ's style of play.

Really? That's crazy.

My critisism of De Jong is about his overall style of play. I have said it before, after games we won as well.

You have - and lots of people have pointed out how wrong you have been - remember the thread you started after the game against the scum - people were clear that you were totally wrong - but once you have opinion I guess you see it as being for others to change theirs to fit
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Vhero » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:51 am

King Kev wrote:Like I just said in another thread, I thought he was one of our better players tonight.

Far better than Barry who just gives away free-kicks and possession.

This.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Bingo Lewis » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:52 am

Nigel De Jong shouldn't be anywhere near our starting 11 unless we're away against a top team, or 2 or 3 goals in front in a game and need somebody to sit in front of the defence. Why oh why mancini felt the need to play 451 at home, after going for an attacking 442 away at Fulham I don't know. He seems to think that playing defensively works for us, it doesn't. we are best when we're attacking, and for this season alone, while we have these personnel he should play to the score one more than you approach. What does my nut in about De Jong is how when one of our defenders or midfielders has the ball he goes and stands next to them asking for it, then does a one, two. whats the fucking point? get in space, free yourself up, be fucking useful. fuck me.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:13 am

Bingo Lewis wrote:Nigel De Jong shouldn't be anywhere near our starting 11 unless we're away against a top team, or 2 or 3 goals in front in a game and need somebody to sit in front of the defence. Why oh why mancini felt the need to play 451 at home, after going for an attacking 442 away at Fulham I don't know. He seems to think that playing defensively works for us, it doesn't. we are best when we're attacking, and for this season alone, while we have these personnel he should play to the score one more than you approach. What does my nut in about De Jong is how when one of our defenders or midfielders has the ball he goes and stands next to them asking for it, then does a one, two. whats the fucking point? get in space, free yourself up, be fucking useful. fuck me.

Absolutely spot on. I don't actually mind if DeJong plays in home games against teams who are going to play 'open' against us, so long as he's one of 2 not 3 but playing him against dour teams just drags us down to their level. I'd prefer not to have a player like that most of the time.

Why don't Barry or Ireland come & take the ball off defenders & start off moves instead? That's what similar players in top teams do.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby mcfc1632 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:48 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Bingo Lewis wrote:Nigel De Jong shouldn't be anywhere near our starting 11 unless we're away against a top team, or 2 or 3 goals in front in a game and need somebody to sit in front of the defence. Why oh why mancini felt the need to play 451 at home, after going for an attacking 442 away at Fulham I don't know. He seems to think that playing defensively works for us, it doesn't. we are best when we're attacking, and for this season alone, while we have these personnel he should play to the score one more than you approach. What does my nut in about De Jong is how when one of our defenders or midfielders has the ball he goes and stands next to them asking for it, then does a one, two. whats the fucking point? get in space, free yourself up, be fucking useful. fuck me.

Absolutely spot on. I don't actually mind if DeJong plays in home games against teams who are going to play 'open' against us, so long as he's one of 2 not 3 but playing him against dour teams just drags us down to their level. I'd prefer not to have a player like that most of the time.

Why don't Barry or Ireland come & take the ball off defenders & start off moves instead? That's what similar players in top teams do.

2 posters that I agree with so often - but I cannot understand their comments on this - good question: why the MF are not more creative - and why they do not take the ball onwards etc - the answer used to be because we just hoofed it over them because we were being overrun all the time - the thing that NDJ stopped - and every time he does not play - or has an off game - guess what happens!!!! - better fix the real problems before removing the the finger from the dyke
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Bingo Lewis » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:52 am

mcfc1632 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

2 posters that I agree with so often - but I cannot understand their comments on this - good question: why the MF are not more creative - and why they do not take the ball onwards etc - the answer used to be because we just hoofed it over them because we were being overrun all the time - the thing that NDJ stopped - and every time he does not play - or has an off game - guess what happens!!!! - better fix the real problems before removing the the finger from the dyke

Mate, when NDJ isn't on the pitch, we attack. we don't need anyone doing his work, because we're bombarding the opposition. Having NDJ on the field invites the oppo onto us. Thats where it fucks up.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:58 am

Bingo Lewis wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Mate, when NDJ isn't on the pitch, we attack. we don't need anyone doing his work, because we're bombarding the opposition. Having NDJ on the field invites the oppo onto us. Thats where it fucks up.

We played some of our best football under Hughes before DeJong came back into the team. There was no evidence at that stage to suggest that we couldn't play & win without him. Since then we haven't particularly missed him when he hasn't played.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:05 am

mcfc1632 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Arteta and Cahill made him look a spare part last night, which effectively meant we sacrificed playing a forward for nothing. During the early part of the game when we were on top, had RSC been on the pitch and we had someone to aim at, I believe we would have scored and made it a very different game. Ultimately, Ireland and Barry do not complement De Jong as one is totally immobile and the other is badly out of sorts (even taking into account last nights thuggery) so it is mental to play such a disfunctional trio. Maybe thats more Mancini's fault than De Jong's.

Midfield balance aside, I watched them warming up one game before xmas, and they were playing in a little box with one/two touch pass & move. De Jong lost/panicked into a poor pass which cost his side the ball on every single occasion he got it. His distribution, particularly under pressure is simply not good enough, and whilst running round the pitch putting in big tackles curries favour from fans like it did with Zabaleta, it seems those who are into that sort of thing makes the player impervious from criticism.

I dont think he is a poor player, I just dont believe a hard man who can't pass or get forward is appropriate or relevant at the top level of football any more.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:16 am

johnpb78 wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Arteta and Cahill made him look a spare part last night, which effectively meant we sacrificed playing a forward for nothing. During the early part of the game when we were on top, had RSC been on the pitch and we had someone to aim at, I believe we would have scored and made it a very different game. Ultimately, Ireland and Barry do not complement De Jong as one is totally immobile and the other is badly out of sorts (even taking into account last nights thuggery) so it is mental to play such a disfunctional trio. Maybe thats more Mancini's fault than De Jong's.

Midfield balance aside, I watched them warming up one game before xmas, and they were playing in a little box with one/two touch pass & move. De Jong lost/panicked into a poor pass which cost his side the ball on every single occasion he got it. His distribution, particularly under pressure is simply not good enough, and whilst running round the pitch putting in big tackles curries favour from fans like it did with Zabaleta, it seems those who are into that sort of thing makes the player impervious from criticism.

I dont think he is a poor player, I just dont believe a hard man who can't pass or get forward is appropriate or relevant at the top level of football any more.

If we had a front 5 which went gung ho attacking like Real Madrid's 'galacticos' or even 4 out & out attackers & a Roy K**** type player I could see a role for him but not at home alongside Barry & Ireland (who looks nowhere near good enough incidentally). If we're going to have a player like that then I'd rather he was 6ft6 & fast as fuck anyway personally.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Lees Alter Ego » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:19 pm

I always feel we play better when hes not in the side. More attacking football. perhaps im wrong but would be interesting to see the resutls we got where he hadnt played. might do it later if get chance.

That said when he does play i admire his commitment, just a shame he cant go forward at all.
Lees Alter Ego
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Mase » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:55 pm

King Kev wrote:Like I just said in another thread, I thought he was one of our better players tonight.

Far better than Barry who just gives away free-kicks and possession.

Glad someone else thinks that and not just me!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby dazby » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:59 pm

GazBaz is the one who frustrates me. He's mister bloody invisible.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Mase » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:09 pm

dazby wrote:GazBaz is the one who frustrates me. He's mister bloody invisible.

Surprised he hasn't been dropped/rested yet.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby xavi6 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:32 pm

Every team needs a De Jong imo. He's an essential component of our team and should be one of the first names on the team sheet.

His job is to sit in front of the back four and break up play. Does he do that? Absolutely.

The problem is the players around him, i.e. when we play 3 defensive midfielders. Last night when Ireland was on we looked great. De Jong broke up play, gave it to Superman, and we moved forward.

He's not going to beat 5 or 6 players or ping Hollywood balls from corner to corner but he will protect the defence. We have so much creative talent going forward that, if utilised correctly, could destroy any team in the league.

However, without a De Jong they'd be fucked.

http://backpagefootball.com/ featuring our new PODCAST!!!

You can't spell 'Failure' without 'F.A.I.'
xavi6
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Zab

Postby brite blu sky » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:35 pm

i would go along with these observations basically as i think you are right bingo to see it as a double problem.. 1 that we dont need to play NDJ in many games and 2 that DeJong himself plays in a way that actually holds the defensive back, he actually stops the defensive unit from moving higher up the pitch instead of helping to drag them out from deep.. and as you say he doesn't look for space to receive.

Mancini got it wrong last night probably from being too worried about Everton after the last time, trouble is that cautiousness compounds the problem City have and makes it worse.

DeJong can defo play a role, but unless he is told he has to look to help drag the team out and learns how to do that, then he should not be selected to start. ( unless we want that role we know he can deliver )
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum