A lock picker.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

A lock picker.

Postby Sister of fu » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:00 pm

For all the millons that we have spent I am shocked that we have not gone in the market for a centre mid that make that killer pass. We don't have that player and you can see we are crying out for one.

How many times tonight have we slung the ball into the box for it to be headed away. It's frustrating that we have no plan B. We need someone of the Ali B mold in this team. We were clueless a times this evening and it's frustrating as f**k when you see it not working but they carry on regardless anyway.
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Re: A lock picker.

Postby King Kev » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:01 pm

Stevie was doing this for us last season. I can't understand what has happened to him this season though.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Sister of fu » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:04 pm

King Kev wrote:Stevie was doing this for us last season. I can't understand what has happened to him this season though.

He's no Xavi though. Is Superman just a one season wonder??
Sister of fu

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Goaters 103 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:05 pm

We need a fulcrum player in midfield, box to box leader who can get ahead of the attackers and score goals, and also make that interception in the final third or track the runner when necessary. What we have is a group of role players - ideally said player will be a captain and leader too. Will cost us a packet but its what we need, a la Gerrard in his pomp.

We lost tonight because Everton's midfield group, Arteta, Cahill, Heitinga, Pienaar and Osman were infinately better than ours in Barry (lead footed), De Jong, Johnson, Bellamy, Vieira, Ireland and SWP who at the moment looks like he's playing in boots he's borrowed from elsewhere.
Last edited by Goaters 103 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Manx Blue » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:05 pm

King Kev wrote:Stevie was doing this for us last season. I can't understand what has happened to him this season though.

injury has led to inconsistency IMHO...Wesley snijder would be my choice
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue

Postby Goaters 103 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:05 pm

Ireland has had 1 good season - we need to come to terms with the fact he isn't the messiah.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby King Kev » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:07 pm

Goaters 103 wrote:

Ireland has had 1 good season - we need to come to terms with the fact he isn't the messiah.
You'll be telling me next that he's a very naughty boy!
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Goaters 103 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:11 pm

King Kev wrote:
Goaters 103 wrote:

You'll be telling me next that he's a very naughty boy!

After Grannygate and the bizarre car conversions thats probably true as well!

Am I the only one who thinks Irelands body language on the field is absolutely effin awful at present? Both he and SWP, if they are sulking, need to either get over it or look elsewhere because City will keep moving onwards and upwards and they need to decide if they want to knuckle down, or give up. Sadly, at present, neither of them merit a starting place.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby HeyMark » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:18 pm

Gourcoff is who I want. I've been telling all my mates (yea i've got some) he's the player city need. The boy is amazing
HeyMark
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:43 pm

I think we all know that Stevie even now can pick a pass and he did get one right tonight for Carlos , over the top which he almost turned in. BUT ,and its a big but, he doesnt seem to be able to get on the ball with any time to play. Tonight he wasn't really in the play making role as he was further forward.That was a gamble Mancini took and it didn't pay off. Watching Stevie tonight I thought again he was mostly lost and confused about when to get forward and when to hold back.

Too often I thought he was was up top as if he was a striker when we all know he is at his best making late runs into spaces.When he did drop off he just didn't find space and I thought often was in other people's space and not in great positions to receive passes.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Bojinov's left foot » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:47 pm

Gourcoff - do you know how old he is and where is he playing? Do you think we have a realistic chance of getting him and is it dependent on getting 4th?
Bojinov's left foot
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:48 pm

I think its safe to come to the conclusion that Ireland's brilliant season last year was due to the fact he is on the same wavelength of Robinho. They played so well together in home games and picked each other out with some outragous passes.

Ireland is simply on a different gameplan to all them around him and now that Tevez operates in "his" space outside of the box he is lost.

What cannot be explained is why he doesn't run around as much as he did and do those superb slide tackles from the side. He should still be doing them. I still have a wonderful picture of Ireland slide tackling and winning the ball cleanly off Messi in the Barcelona friendly.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby HeyMark » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:54 pm

Bojinov's left foot wrote:Gourcoff - do you know how old he is and where is he playing? Do you think we have a realistic chance of getting him and is it dependent on getting 4th?

He's 23 playing for Bordeaux. I think £20-25mil would get his signature, he was at Milan but didnt really settle there and went back to France so I think if he was to move it would either be England or Spain. I dont think 4th would be essential to sign him, but it depends on who would come in for him
HeyMark
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby The Brazilian Genius » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:55 pm

I think in tight games it is becoming obvious that our current midfield is not creative enough. This is not me having a go at De Jong or Barry as we all know their strengths but it is clear that neither of them can be our playmaker (Not sure whether De Jong can even pass 20 yards forward).

With this in mind i am surprised that neither Hughes or Mancini has suceeded in bringing in a more creative player in the middle, perhaps they are hard to obtain if not in Europes elite or maybe Hughes pinned his hopes on Ireland.

However tonight (and most of the season) we looked more dangerous down the flanks and playing on the counter (ala 2 goals at Fulham). The person who stepped forward the most with ball from the centre of the park today was Toure.....our centre half!

Shame Elano could not knuckle down and accept it is a squad game.
The Brazilian Genius
Negouai's Red Cards

Postby zuricity » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:55 pm

Sister of fu wrote:For all the millons that we have spent I am shocked that we have not gone in the market for a centre mid that make that killer pass. We don't have that player and you can see we are crying out for one.

How many times tonight have we slung the ball into the box for it to be headed away. It's frustrating that we have no plan B. We need someone of the Ali B mold in this team. We were clueless a times this evening and it's frustrating as f**k when you see it not working but they carry on regardless anyway.

We sold him, his name is Elano.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby ant london » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:35 am

zuricity wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:For all the millons that we have spent I am shocked that we have not gone in the market for a centre mid that make that killer pass. We don't have that player and you can see we are crying out for one.

We sold him, his name is Elano.

Dear god....no we didn't and no, it most definitely isn't Blumer Sulky Go Missing Cuntface Elano
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby mcfc1632 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:12 am

That is what we are missing - that is what we hoped Stevie would develop into - but he just 'stopped' - should have got one in the summer - but everyone was (understandably) concerned about the impact on Stevie
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:46 am

I think we're missing the point with this 'playmaker' business. Every player on the pitch is potentially a playmaker if they use their brains. Even in games where we struggle, we always get players into positions where they can hurt the oppo but we NEVER & I mean NEVER get a sensible ball into the right area.

I hate to say it again but watch the rags around the box & watch our players. Have a look at videos of Pederson & Bentley putting balls in for RSC etc at Blackburn & compare it. Look at the balls Chelsea put in for Drogba. Worst of all, look at the goals rags score v us. It's all about getting the ball into the danger area consistantly with quality. It doesn't have to be slide rule through the middle, that's the hardest way & the icing on the cake, not the whole cake. We don't even do the bread & butter stuff right.

If Rooney played for us, he'd never have received the ball that put us out of the cup, in fact he probably wouldn't bother going in there as he'd know it wasn't coming.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Vhero » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:48 am

Sister of fu wrote:

He's no Xavi though. Is Superman just a one season wonder??

Hate to say it but he is looking like that..
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Mase » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:09 pm

MaineRoadMemories wrote:I think its safe to come to the conclusion that Ireland's brilliant season last year was due to the fact he is on the same wavelength of Robinho. They played so well together in home games and picked each other out with some outragous passes.

Ireland is simply on a different gameplan to all them around him and now that Tevez operates in "his" space outside of the box he is lost.

What cannot be explained is why he doesn't run around as much as he did and do those superb slide tackles from the side. He should still be doing them. I still have a wonderful picture of Ireland slide tackling and winning the ball cleanly off Messi in the Barcelona friendly.

At last! Thank you!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum