If we don't get 4th...

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

If we don't get 4th...

Postby Beeks » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:50 am

Will you see it as a failure?

If we get 5th or 6th even...will still be the best season we have had in a long time?

I personally think it will be a failure as we have not capitalised against weaker opposition, but a tiny part of me thinks we have done well considering how quickly the team has been assembled...

What are your thoughts?
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Re: If we don't get 4th...

Postby Redna » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:03 am

If you see historically on things of course it's a good season but since Frank and the Shiek arrived expectations have gone sky high,rightly so.
Sometimes I wonder what our internet forums would have looked like in the mid, late 90´s.
Where there any forums then, was internet around to the broad masses?
I don't know but somone might know.
I'm feeling off today but I'll be back.
CTID!!
"A man's gotta do what his women says"
Redna
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods own
My favourite player is: Ron Jeremy

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:19 am

I was happy with 6th at the start of the season but because we've sacked the manager, it means that if we don't get 4th we've wasted a year. We haven't built anything or moved toward a planned outcome, just wasted time. If we get 4th it makes that worthwhile & gives us opportunities to sign players to start again but anything less & we're just left with a manager pissing about with another manager's team, effectively back to where we were when Sven was sacked but luckily & importantly; with more money.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:24 am

I said in the beginning of the season that 5th with good push for 4th. We are giving 4th a good push, so I'd be satisfied with 5th finish or even 6th if it guarantees as UEFA Cup football.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Mike J » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:29 am

at the start of the season i would have been pleased to get 5th. but as the season has gone on it would be a big disappointment for us not to get it, and sadly i dont think we will.

we have dropped too many points against terrible teams. our inconsistency will see that we dont get it.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:33 am

Well its going to be a damn sight harder now to even finish in a european place with the boss sat in the stands for i reckon the next four games.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:34 am

Mike J wrote:at the start of the season i would have been pleased to get 5th. but as the season has gone on it would be a big disappointment for us not to get it, and sadly i dont think we will.

we have dropped too many points against terrible teams. our inconsistency will see that we dont get it.

That's the thing with preseason expectations..... stick to them or end up disappointed. Exactly the same as happened under Sven and many times before.

I feel that preseason expectations represent potential and if during the course of the season we are exceeding our potential, it's no reason to think that we are necesserily better than we thought.

Nothing personal mate, just a general observation.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Bear60 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:37 am

Ted Hughes wrote:I was happy with 6th at the start of the season but because we've sacked the manager, it means that if we don't get 4th we've wasted a year. We haven't built anything or moved toward a planned outcome, just wasted time. If we get 4th it makes that worthwhile & gives us opportunities to sign players to start again but anything less & we're just left with a manager pissing about with another manager's team, effectively back to where we were when Sven was sacked but luckily & importantly; with more money.

Absolutely.
Bear60
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby ant london » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:40 am

I don't really mind if I'm honest. Part of me is relieved we lost yesterday.....I was still expecting that we should get 4th and that has killed off the "expectation". Now I know we are still in with a shout but I am just hoping......if we get it I'll be ecstatic. If we don't then I'll be content with 5th (albeit a bit gutted).

I loved our UEFA run....I'd love another. It's progress still, just not quite the "trajectory" we'd like

Fucking Spurs....the cunts
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:42 am

ant london wrote:I don't really mind if I'm honest. Part of me is relieved we lost yesterday.....I was still expecting that we should get 4th and that has killed off the "expectation". Now I know we are still in with a shout but I am just hoping......if we get it I'll be ecstatic. If we don't then I'll be content with 5th (albeit a bit gutted).

I loved our UEFA run....I'd love another. It's progress still, just not quite the "trajectory" we'd like

[highlight]Fucking Spurs....the cunts[/highlight]

I stand by my original opinion that it will be Villa's to lose now. I really don't think Spuds are going to finish 4th.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ross.mcfc » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:46 am

I said at the start of the season I wanted a mimimum of 6th and a semi final and we were well on the way to achieving that but Hughes sacking moved the goal posts so to me if we dont finish 4th the club will be deeming this year a failure.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Beeks » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:53 am

ant london wrote:I don't really mind if I'm honest. Part of me is relieved we lost yesterday.....I was still expecting that we should get 4th and that has killed off the "expectation". Now I know we are still in with a shout but I am just hoping......

I feel the same Ant to be honest...the loss to Everton has actually calmed me down a little now
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Mike J » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:54 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Mike J wrote:at the start of the season i would have been pleased to get 5th. but as the season has gone on it would be a big disappointment for us not to get it, and sadly i dont think we will.

That's the thing with preseason expectations..... stick to them or end up disappointed. Exactly the same as happened under Sven and many times before.

I feel that preseason expectations represent potential and if during the course of the season we are exceeding our potential, it's no reason to think that we are necesserily better than we thought.

couldnt help it really, just got caught up in the race for 4th like im sure many fans did. if we hadnt dropped points against such woeful teams we'd be in pole position for it.
Mike J

Postby Vhero » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:55 am

I think if we don't get 4th and Spurs or Villa get it then yeah its a disaster as they are certainly not stronger teams than us. However if the bin dippers manage some how to get 4th I wouldn't bother with 5th as much as we are used to them being 4th. I would be wounded though in the year that the bin dippers fuck up big time we didn't capitalize. If they get bought up in summer next year it could be even harder to get that fourth spot as not getting fourth is gonna massively affect our transfer plans.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:58 am

Mike J wrote:

couldnt help it really, just got caught up in the race for 4th like im sure many fans did. if we hadnt dropped points against such woeful teams we'd be in pole position for it.

Can't disagree with that overall. That run of draws against shit oppos, Losing to Hull and Everton doing double over us. But in the beginning of the season I was kind of expecting we'd drop some points like that.... that's why we weren't aiming for title race.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ant london » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:59 am

I stand by my original opinion that it will be Villa's to lose now. I really don't think Spuds are going to finish 4th.

Mate, in this instance I would like nothing more than for you to be right (well...I'd like us to get it but if we don't I want you to be right). Any fucker but Spurs...those bastards have rained on my parade so many times re City.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Bear60 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:03 am

ant london wrote:

Mate, in this instance I would like nothing more than for you to be right (well...I'd like us to get it but if we don't I want you to be right). Any fucker but Spurs...those bastards have rained on my parade so many times re City.

Thats right anyone but them I fucking hate them with a passion it is the attitude of their disgusting fans that I hate.
Bear60
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Bingo Lewis » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:03 am

The reason not getting 4th will be a massive failure for us is down to one reason.

Villa and Silva are available this summer. we've no chance without the chumps league.
Maicon will move this summer. "" "" "" "" ""
Torres will maybe move this summar. "" "" "" ""

Some of the best players in the world will be available this summer. If we don't get Champs league then we've got no chance of getting them. When will this many players of this caliber become available in one pre season again? It'll be a long time, and we'll have missed the boat.

I'm fucking fuming.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Mike J » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:06 am

Mike J wrote:

Can't disagree with that overall. That run of draws against shit oppos, Losing to Hull and Everton doing double over us. But in the beginning of the season I was kind of expecting we'd drop some points like that.... that's why we weren't aiming for title race.

with the players we have at our disposal dropping points at home to burnley and hull is bitterly disappointing and i really wouldnt of expected that. it may well have cost us. who knows. just so like city to then go and wallop chelsea at the bridge.
Mike J

Postby Bear60 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:30 am

Bear60 wrote:
ant london wrote:

Thats right anyone but them I fucking hate them with a passion it is the attitude of their disgusting fans that I hate.

Listening to talkshite right now and there was a Spuds fan on there Quinny says to him you have to go to City yet he says we always do well at City so that's not a problem. This is the attitude of their fans that make me hate them so much nothing would give me more pleasure than for us to give them a right good hiding when they come to us.
Bear60
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum