If we don't get 4th...

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: If we don't get 4th...

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:36 am

Bear60 wrote:
Bear60 wrote:
ant london wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
I stand by my original opinion that it will be Villa's to lose now. I really don't think Spuds are going to finish 4th.

Mate, in this instance I would like nothing more than for you to be right (well...I'd like us to get it but if we don't I want you to be right). Any fucker but Spurs...those bastards have rained on my parade so many times re City.

Thats right anyone but them I fucking hate them with a passion it is the attitude of their disgusting fans that I hate.

Listening to talkshite right now and there was a Spuds fan on there Quinny says to him you have to go to City yet he says we always do well at City so that's not a problem. This is the attitude of their fans that make me hate them so much nothing would give me more pleasure than for us to give them a right good hiding when they come to us.

Thats also the problem for us,they ALWAYS do well against us.
I wouldnt fear going to WHL if we had their record against us.
Last edited by lets all have a disco on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Mike J » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:43 am

Bear60 wrote:
Bear60 wrote:
ant london wrote:
I stand by my original opinion that it will be Villa's to lose now. I really don't think Spuds are going to finish 4th.

Mate, in this instance I would like nothing more than for you to be right (well...I'd like us to get it but if we don't I want you to be right). Any fucker but Spurs...those bastards have rained on my parade so many times re City.

Thats right anyone but them I fucking hate them with a passion it is the attitude of their disgusting fans that I hate.

Listening to talkshite right now and there was a Spuds fan on there Quinny says to him you have to go to City yet he says we always do well at City so that's not a problem. This is the attitude of their fans that make me hate them so much nothing would give me more pleasure than for us to give them a right good hiding when they come to us.

he's right though they probably will come to coms and beat us. they nearly always do and out team has absolutely no fucking guts.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby avoidconfusion » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:55 am

The biggest problem I have with finishing 5th and thus playing in the Europa League next season is that the additional amount of games we then have to play next season will influence our chances to finish in the top 4 next season.

Of course you could say that if we were to qualify for Champions League football next season we would also have to play a lot of additional games... but the difference is that that would be worthwhile because of the money you get for Champions League football which would somewhat rectify the disparity between our annual turnover and spending.

I know money is no problem for us but we have to sort this out eventually.

Furthermore this season, more than any other season was THE golden opportunity to finish in the top 4 with Liverpool being so unbelievably shit and all the other contenders (Everton, Spurs, Villa) dropping so many points.

I can't help but feel disappointed if we do not finish 4th now, especially because Hughes was sacked for exactly that reason and the replacement has not convinced me yet.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:59 am

Unfortunately it's true that Spurs do well against us so it's no surprise some of their fans don't see us as a problem game for them. They set up their team , as Everton did, with a strong midfield that can also pass the ball and we struggle bigtime.Add to that they go hard at and double up against our key players and our threat is limited.

It's been a roller coaster for us but it's been the same for the other sides around us. We have all lost some silly points and then won games that we were not expected to do.If that wasn't the case we would be closer to a title challenge than 4th placea dozen or so points further back.That's where we are in our development at the moment.That's the way it was always going to be this season and basically nothing has changed. That's why it was a project ( and still is ) which needed to be considered over a 3 or 4 year period.

That's how it all started and it seemed to me that all the necessary things were being done both behind the scenes and on the pitch. As I said of course there were some crazy and infuriating results but they were always likely to happen.Then with a lack of patience and a touch of panic we ( the owners and the fans?) decided to make a change thinking the progress wasn't quick enough and in the hope of getting further on in the project in year one than was originally planned.

Maybe it will work maybe it won't and there are plenty of mixed views around again which is no surprise.The expectations got raised and the impatience level along with it. I personally will be disappointed if the owners change manager again at the end of the season but if they do it would suggest to me that it was planned that way all along.

If we don't get 4th I will be mildly disappointed but not surprised but it will depend on exactly what position we finish in and significantly on how how we finish the season in terms of performances. Our home games against Everton, Brum ,scum,Villa and Spurs are really really difficult games for us and to be honest I fear we won't do so well. If it turns out like that and we fade away I will be very disapponited but if we end the season playing well and still mostly getting results but finish 5th or even 6th it will be ok.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:05 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Unfortunately it's true that Spurs do well against us so it's no surprise some of their fans don't see us as a problem game for them. They set up their team , as Everton did, with a strong midfield that can also pass the ball and we struggle bigtime.Add to that they go hard at and double up against our key players and our threat is limited.

It's been a roller coaster for us but it's been the same for the other sides around us. We have all lost some silly points and then won games that we were not expected to do.If that wasn't the case we would be closer to a title challenge than 4th placea dozen or so points further back.That's where we are in our development at the moment.That's the way it was always going to be this season and basically nothing has changed. That's why it was a project ( and still is ) which needed to be considered over a 3 or 4 year period.

That's how it all started and it seemed to me that all the necessary things were being done both behind the scenes and on the pitch. As I said of course there were some crazy and infuriating results but they were always likely to happen.Then with a lack of patience and a touch of panic we ( the owners and the fans?) decided to make a change thinking the progress wasn't quick enough and in the hope of getting further on in the project in year one than was originally planned.

Maybe it will work maybe it won't and there are plenty of mixed views around again which is no surprise.The expectations got raised and the impatience level along with it. I personally will be disappointed if the owners change manager again at the end of the season but if they do it would suggest to me that it was planned that way all along.

If we don't get 4th I will be mildly disappointed but not surprised but it will depend on exactly what position we finish in and significantly on how how we finish the season in terms of performances. Our home games against Everton, Brum ,scum,Villa and Spurs are really really difficult games for us and to be honest I fear we won't do so well. If it turns out like that and we fade away I will be very disapponited but if we end the season playing well and still mostly getting results but finish 5th or even 6th it will be ok.

I think Spurs were in for a right good hiding last season until we went down to 10 men. No reason we can't stuff them imo. Unless we set out to be negative again, in which case Crouch rather than Cahill will probably score from a set piece then they'll do us on the break just like Everton.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Original Dub » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:14 am

If we don't get fourth now of course it will be a failure.

My pre season expectation was 5th with a push for fourth, but with the way Liverpool imploded, the goal posts were changed and the manager sacked all in the name of top four, so it doesn't really matter what I think - the owner wants top four and thats that.

Anything less is a failure.
Original Dub

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:50 am

Original Dub wrote:If we don't get fourth now of course it will be a failure.

My pre season expectation was 5th with a push for fourth, but with the way Liverpool imploded, the goal posts were changed and the manager sacked all in the name of top four, so it doesn't really matter what I think - the owner wants top four and thats that.

Anything less is a failure.

That's the point. We had expectations and a plan but for whatever the expectations changed and so have the plans. But the reality hasn't changed at all as we are doing what we were always likely to do.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby dazby » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:02 pm

If we only make the Europa League ne><t year I'll e><pect us to go on a good run.

If we make the Champions League I don't e><pect us to do very well, but still come third in the group, making the Europa League where I e><pect us to go on a good run.

Either way I see us going for the Europa Cup.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Bluez » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:24 pm

Mike J wrote:at the start of the season i would have been pleased to get 5th. but as the season has gone on it would be a big disappointment for us not to get it, and sadly i dont think we will.

we have dropped too many points against terrible teams. our inconsistency will see that we dont get it.

That's the thing with preseason expectations..... stick to them or end up disappointed. Exactly the same as happened under Sven and many times before.

I feel that preseason expectations represent potential and if during the course of the season we are exceeding our potential, it's no reason to think that we are necesserily better than we thought.

Nothing personal mate, just a general observation.

I think most were realistically thinking about 5th with a good push for 4th. This was about where we were when Hughes was sacked so obviously it wasn't enough for the owners. If the owners expectations changed, and they changed managers to realise their new expectations its no surprise that the fans expectations have changed as well. Mancini was brought in explicitly to get 4th and and one stage we were 1 point of 4th with 2 games in hand. So I would be disappointed at not finishing 4th as it woudl mean all the bad press and the jibes about manager merrygo round would have been for nothing.
Light travels faster than sound.
Thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

DISCLAIMER- My views are mine alone, and probably rubbish anyway.
Bluez
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Mase » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:57 pm

Depends who finishes 4th instead of us. If it's Spurs I'll see it as failure because they are not a better team.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby btajim » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:37 pm

ross.mcfc wrote:I said at the start of the season I wanted a mimimum of 6th and a semi final and we were well on the way to achieving that but Hughes sacking moved the goal posts so to me if we dont finish 4th the club will be deeming this year a failure.

I'd go along with that. They've told Mancini that they expect a 4th place finish and he should be sacked if he doesn't achieve it.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby viking the Odd » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:43 pm

btajim wrote:
ross.mcfc wrote:I said at the start of the season I wanted a mimimum of 6th and a semi final and we were well on the way to achieving that but Hughes sacking moved the goal posts so to me if we dont finish 4th the club will be deeming this year a failure.

I'd go along with that. They've told Mancini that they expect a 4th place finish and he should be sacked if he doesn't achieve it.

I will also go along with that, I expected up to finish 6-7 th, but bringing in the new guy to finish 4th was always going to cause a problem with his lack of experience of the premier league, if we were going to change manager why oh why not bring in someone with knowledge to do the job, another wasted year.
viking the Odd
Robinho's Step Over

Postby xavi6 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:47 pm

We'll be finishing up 6th/7th I'd say and that will be a total failure considering the reasons given for sacking Hughes.

Villa will fade but are strong enough to pip us and 4th will be between Spurs and the Dippers.

If we are to progress next season in terms of the quality of players at the club then we must finish 4th, but we won't.

http://backpagefootball.com/ featuring our new PODCAST!!!

You can't spell 'Failure' without 'F.A.I.'
xavi6
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Zab

Postby btajim » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:54 pm

xavi6 wrote:We'll be finishing up 6th/7th I'd say and that will be a total failure considering the reasons given for sacking Hughes.

Villa will fade but are strong enough to pip us and 4th will be between Spurs and the Dippers.

If we are to progress next season in terms of the quality of players at the club then we must finish 4th, but we won't.

Liverpool are out of it, IMHO. The threat of Gerrard and Torres isn't enough to keep them in with a shout of 4th. I think it's Spurs > Villa > Liverpool.

Villa drew against last night. They faded like this last season.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:26 pm

I'd be devastated.

NO CC
NO FA CUP
NO CHAMPS LEAGUE

Its like flirting with the fittest bird everytime you go out and end up pulling a fucking dog rough one at the end of the last club night of the year and being told its best you could get.

FUCK THAT.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:12 pm

Bingo Lewis wrote:The reason not getting 4th will be a massive failure for us is down to one reason.

Villa and Silva are available this summer. we've no chance without the chumps league.
Maicon will move this summer. "" "" "" "" ""
Torres will maybe move this summar. "" "" "" ""

Some of the best players in the world will be available this summer. If we don't get Champs league then we've got no chance of getting them. When will this many players of this caliber become available in one pre season again? It'll be a long time, and we'll have missed the boat.

I'm fucking fuming.

Agreed.

And to answer Johns68 Post.....dont tell me spurs deserve 4th over us..?? they have spent shit loads of money as well as us.
I want 4th spot...the goal posts changed over the course of the season and now I want 4th.
Anything less is a failure imo.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Vhero » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:35 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:I'd be devastated.

NO CC
NO FA CUP
NO CHAMPS LEAGUE

Its like flirting with the fittest bird everytime you go out and end up pulling a fucking dog rough one at the end of the last club night of the year and being told its best you could get.

FUCK THAT.

Agreed mate its annoying as fuck.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby HeyMark » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:49 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:I'd be devastated.

NO CC
NO FA CUP
NO CHAMPS LEAGUE

FUCK THAT.

Hahah excellent description
HeyMark
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Chinners » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:54 pm

If we don't get 4th, we'll have to settle for 5th (or 6th) I reckon most would have been happy with any place in Europe (rather than the fair play bollox) at the start of the season. Still alot that can happen mind, we've won the lottery, have ace players and fans, a potential new stadium developement and the same old emotional rollercoaster .... nice
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Renato_CTID » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:59 pm

Lord knows how I'm angry after yesterday poor performance, mates!
I'm taking a look to the games spuds and red scousers still have and to our games.
How many points Redknapp will find in April respectively against gooners, rags and Chelski? Maybe one or two!
And what's about crucial game between Benitez and Ancelotti at Anfield quite at the end of this season?
If Mancio and players could really be able to fail, it would be a shame for the board and for all of us, really!
But, please, could anyone here forget the eight horrible consecutive draws when MH was our manager?
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: David Silva

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum