If we don't get 4th...

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: If we don't get 4th...

Postby the_georgian_genius » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:21 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Haha playground bickering returns :)

For the record where were we when we played away at Spurs as I have been told Hughes was aware what was coming by then.

8th, 6 points behind 4th.
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Original Dub » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:22 pm

the_georgian_genius wrote:

For the record where were we when we played away at Spurs as I have been told Hughes was aware what was coming by then.

8th, 6 points behind 4th.

Any games in hand or anything like that, no? What was the "trajectory of points"?

Just making sure we're on a level playing field here and no agendas... just in case, you never know!
Original Dub

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:55 pm

I think he found out things were going badly for him in the November break in Abu Dhabi. Following the Burnley result there was a cool reception by the chairman for Mark's ambitious spending plans for the January window. I don't know for sure but it looked like the die was cast judging from his demeanour on the flight home.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby mcfc1632 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:07 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
Irrelevent.

The target was 70 points and we were on course to achieve it. There is no such thing as a hughes fanatic, so I don't know why you're trying to provoke people there mate.

But you're making stuff up to suit yourself and you've become a lot calmer about performances and targets since Mancini took over. That's obvious for everyone to see, so you shouldn't get offended when its pointed out.

Irrelevant or not, he was twisting the truth.

And of course there are Hughes fanatics. People who go on and on how this and that would've been alright for Hughes and raise the bar for someone else. Only reason I can see for that is the fact that there are people who prefered Hughes in charge. I can understand people who support whoever is in charge but there are people who were constantly praising Hughes, usually twisting the truth like above, and now are constantly having a pop at Mancini.

I'm no way calmer about results than I ever was. I just try to avoid this site after and during the games these days. There have been people moaning after games won and I'm not going to waste my time on that when I'm enjoying a post-win euphoria.

NDQP - you say - commenting on a post from me:

"Bullshit. Really sad to see you lower yourself to level of that wind up clown.

Most people, me included, have stayed pretty much the same with their targets from the beginning of the season. It's only Hughes fanatics who were satisfied with any shit under their favourite boy that bang on now about sacking changing the targets."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But I am not - nor have I ever been a big Hughes fan - actually Hughes underachievement cost me in excess of 70K in spread bets in the 2008/09 season - so for me I was gutted at his under-performance - but I can put bigotry aside when talking about the well-being of my football club - try it sometime

And BTW - I flew back for the Spurs away game - the Birmingham away game - the Bolton away game etc etc - believe me I was fucked off more than anyone about the performances - and I was critical of Hughes - I HAVE NEVER BEEN A PRO-HUGHES PERSON - I JUST AM FAR MORE QUALIFIED THAN A EGOTISTIC IDIOT TO COMMENT ON THE SUBJECT

You are actually one myopic sad fucker - and clearly your capability to be objective is far smaller than your ego

Anyway - I thought you foed me to ignore me - so why not just fuck off and do that instead of trying to persuade other posters to follow your pathetic myopia - get a fucking life

And also - you will not find posts from me having a pop at Mancini - have a good look you double standards dick - you will only find those looking for stability and pointing out when certain posters are being totally inconsistent - i.e. when you behave like shallow two-faced pratt - but you will find many along the lines of: "..... well he is now our manager so I support him..." - but you have never needed to be factual to post your bile

I fucking cheered when you foed me - thought I would see less of your total self-indulgent ignorance - so - do what it says on the tin - and just fucking ignore me - just becuase I point out to the board when you disassemble - twist in the wind - show double standards - or out and out fucking lie - actually is not my fault!!!

THAT IS YOU - JUST STOP DOING IT RATHER THAN KICKING OFF EVRY TIME IT GETS POINTED OUT - FUCKING CHILD
Last edited by mcfc1632 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby gillie » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:27 pm

When Hughes was sacked and Mancini appointed the goalposts were definately moved in the expectation of CL next year even Bobby concured with this when he stated that he was here to get 4th place.So imo if we dont finnish 4th it will be a massive dissapointment.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby mcfc1632 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:33 pm

NDQP - You say:

"....I'm no way calmer about results than I ever was. I just try to avoid this site after and during the games these days. There have been people moaning after games won and I'm not going to waste my time on that when I'm enjoying a post-win euphoria..."

This from the same guy who stared the de jong thread after the derby - the same guy when hammered for his shallow inconsistencies said that it is not fair to use the comments made when raw on a match day against them - more double standards
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Grob » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:48 am

Grob wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:Is it just me? - or do others when they read this thread think back to the 'anti' threads in October - December - the threads that harped on about ambition and the how we should be demanding 4th absolutely - despite pre-season targets of 6th - and think - double standards????

Surely anything les than 4th is a major failing - especially with the squad we had and the position we were in at December??

Why all the reversing of positions?

The guys whose opinion that was hated Mark Hughes. The point raised was handy when trying to belittle him.

Bullshit. Really sad to see you lower yourself to level of that wind up clown.

Most people, me included, have stayed pretty much the same with their targets from the beginning of the season. It's only Hughes fanatics who were satisfied with any shit under their favourite boy that bang on now about sacking changing the targets.

Oh for fucks sake Niall, you fucking hated Hughes and had an agenda against him before one of his teams even kicked a ball as Man City so stop playing the innocent bystander. Others have since admitted they couldnt stand the sheep shagging rag cunt and since he departed it doesnt fucking matter anymore so just come out and say that you hated him, the fact that he was in charge and it clouded your judgement as to his performance as our manager. Man up for fucks sake.

Ill go you one better, I think that Mancini has been as average, if not worse than Hughes and if he doesnt buck up his ideas and start winning us football matches then he can fuck off in the summer and Khaldoon and Garry, if they are still here, can go about finding a manager who can bring the best out of players as a team as the current fella and the last fella seem to have no idea.

All season we have bundled along with few convincing performances under 2 managers in a Premier League thats the lowest quality ive seen for a long time. And after spending 200 million quid, as you often said about the Hughes regime, its not good enough.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby the_georgian_genius » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:21 am

Grob wrote:
Grob wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:Is it just me? - or do others when they read this thread think back to the 'anti' threads in October - December - the threads that harped on about ambition and the how we should be demanding 4th absolutely - despite pre-season targets of 6th - and think - double standards????

Surely anything les than 4th is a major failing - especially with the squad we had and the position we were in at December??

The guys whose opinion that was hated Mark Hughes. The point raised was handy when trying to belittle him.

Most people, me included, have stayed pretty much the same with their targets from the beginning of the season. It's only Hughes fanatics who were satisfied with any shit under their favourite boy that bang on now about sacking changing the targets.

Oh for fucks sake Niall, you fucking hated Hughes and had an agenda against him before one of his teams even kicked a ball as Man City so stop playing the innocent bystander. Others have since admitted they couldnt stand the sheep shagging rag cunt and since he departed it doesnt fucking matter anymore so just come out and say that you hated him, the fact that he was in charge and it clouded your judgement as to his performance as our manager. Man up for fucks sake.

Ill go you one better, I think that Mancini has been as average, if not worse than Hughes and if he doesnt buck up his ideas and start winning us football matches then he can fuck off in the summer and Khaldoon and Garry, if they are still here, can go about finding a manager who can bring the best out of players as a team as the current fella and the last fella seem to have no idea.

All season we have bundled along with few convincing performances under 2 managers in a Premier League thats the lowest quality ive seen for a long time. And after spending 200 million quid, as you often said about the Hughes regime, its not good enough.

Do you really think after spending £200m we would just cruise to 4th?
the_georgian_genius

Postby Grob » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:26 am

Grob wrote:
Grob wrote:

Do you really think after spending £200m we would just cruise to 4th?

No, but if failing to hit 4th place was enough to get Hughes the boot by the board, it clearly was to them.
Grob

Postby the_georgian_genius » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:39 am

Grob wrote:No, but if failing to hit 4th place was enough to get Hughes the boot by the board, it clearly was to them.

You said stumbling (bundled) to 4th after spending £200m along with few convincing performances is not good enough. I think that's unfair. The target was 4th (always has been in my eyes) and i think we were always going to bundle our way to it.
the_georgian_genius

Postby Grob » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:21 am

Grob wrote:No, but if failing to hit 4th place was enough to get Hughes the boot by the board, it clearly was to them.

You said stumbling (bundled) to 4th after spending £200m along with few convincing performances is not good enough. I think that's unfair. The target was 4th (always has been in my eyes) and i think we were always going to bundle our way to it.

If a team can stumble/bundle their way to 4th place then the quality of the English league has seriously dropped.

This season had been going exactly as I expected which was good enough for me but not for the board hence Mark getting the boot so my expectations have been raised to now if we dont get 4th place ill be diappointed. Sorry, but thats what the board specified when they gave Hughes the bullet and i expect us to get 4th because of their forecast.
Grob

Postby the_georgian_genius » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:25 am

Grob wrote:

If a team can stumble/bundle their way to 4th place then the quality of the English league has seriously dropped.

This season had been going exactly as I expected which was good enough for me but not for the board hence Mark getting the boot so my expectations have been raised to now if we dont get 4th place ill be diappointed. Sorry, but thats what the board specified when they gave Hughes the bullet and i expect us to get 4th because of their forecast.

Don't forget it still is 4th posistion in the league, if anyone really went for it then they would be challenging for the league aswell.
the_georgian_genius

Postby Grob » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:35 am

Grob wrote:

Don't forget it still is 4th posistion in the league, if anyone really went for it then they would be challenging for the league aswell.

True. The problem with alot of teams is the mentality. Managers send teams out not to lose rather than to win. Our fella is guilty of that.

The managers of 2 of the 3 top teams in our league send their teams out to win. Scum and Gunners are still good teams but they do not have the quality of team they have had in the recent past. United lost Ronaldo and Tevez last summer. Arsenel lost Toure and Adebayor. Neither club truely replaced those players. Yet look whose a the top.

Having the correct mentality counts for alot it seems.
Grob

Postby Spurge » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:23 am

Vhero wrote:I think if we don't get 4th and Spurs or Villa get it then yeah its a disaster as they are certainly not stronger teams than us. However if the bin dippers manage some how to get 4th I wouldn't bother with 5th as much as we are used to them being 4th. I would be wounded though in the year that the bin dippers fuck up big time we didn't capitalize. If they get bought up in summer next year it could be even harder to get that fourth spot as not getting fourth is gonna massively affect our transfer plans.

The managers at Spurs and Villia have both had time to build their respective squads and strengthen according to their style of football - this makes them strong contenders. City have built their squad over a short period of time with wholesale changes/new additions and, just as significantly, with 2 managers in the same season!

This is not necessarily a recipe for instant success, at best it's less then ideal, especially whan you compare to the situations at Spurs and Villa.

So it's not a disaster and it's not just about comparing what the squad looks like on paper against others. It's a team game and building a team that plays well together and understands each other takes time, once achieved is a huge strength - we are not there yet by any stretch which makes us in many respects weaker than both Spurs and Villa.

I think given this top 6 is a pretty good season - we need to learn from lessons of this season, however I'm fully expecting Mancini to get sacked and the process will start all over again. Villa and Spurs will continue to strengthen and we will hope that someone comes in who can make us genuine contenders over night by giving him a wad of cash and meaning that whoever he brings in, we will have paid over the odds for.

Lets just hope whoever he is gets it right otherwise the merry go round will continue.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby sandman » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:00 am

Mike J wrote:
Bear60 wrote:
Bear60 wrote:
ant london wrote:
I stand by my original opinion that it will be Villa's to lose now. I really don't think Spuds are going to finish 4th.

Mate, in this instance I would like nothing more than for you to be right (well...I'd like us to get it but if we don't I want you to be right). Any fucker but Spurs...those bastards have rained on my parade so many times re City.

Thats right anyone but them I fucking hate them with a passion it is the attitude of their disgusting fans that I hate.

Listening to talkshite right now and there was a Spuds fan on there Quinny says to him you have to go to City yet he says we always do well at City so that's not a problem. This is the attitude of their fans that make me hate them so much nothing would give me more pleasure than for us to give them a right good hiding when they come to us.

he's right though they probably will come to coms and beat us. they nearly always do and out team has absolutely no fucking guts.

Thats the thing for me, we've had am abundance of pityful displays from players who never show their worth, we need somebody in the middle of the park who can really lead the men mentally aswell as in a footballing sense, I think attitude is a MASSIVE problem at City now.
sandman

Supporter of: City

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:47 am

Grob wrote:
Grob wrote:

I've never hidden the fact that I hated Hughes. But my targets for the season were set purely thinking what is possible to achieve with this squad and what is reasonable expectations with the players we've got. Manager didn't have much to do with that. That's what I was expecting no matter who is in charge.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:56 pm

Spurge wrote:The managers at Spurs and Villia have both had time to build their respective squads and strengthen according to their style of football - this makes them strong contenders. City have built their squad over a short period of time with wholesale changes/new additions and, just as significantly, with 2 managers in the same season!

This is not necessarily a recipe for instant success, at best it's less then ideal, especially whan you compare to the situations at Spurs and Villa.

So it's not a disaster and it's not just about comparing what the squad looks like on paper against others. It's a team game and building a team that plays well together and understands each other takes time, once achieved is a huge strength - we are not there yet by any stretch which makes us in many respects weaker than both Spurs and Villa.

I think given this top 6 is a pretty good season - we need to learn from lessons of this season, however I'm fully expecting Mancini to get sacked and the process will start all over again. Villa and Spurs will continue to strengthen and we will hope that someone comes in who can make us genuine contenders over night by giving him a wad of cash and meaning that whoever he brings in, we will have paid over the odds for.

Lets just hope whoever he is gets it right otherwise the merry go round will continue.

Very good post and echoes my views perfectly. It's not just about spending money, it's about investing time and patience into the management team and the squad they choose. Money really doesn't buy success, it just helps!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:13 pm

Bingo Lewis wrote:The reason not getting 4th will be a massive failure for us is down to one reason.

Villa and Silva are available this summer. we've no chance without the chumps league.
Maicon will move this summer. "" "" "" "" ""
Torres will maybe move this summar. "" "" "" ""

Some of the best players in the world will be available this summer. If we don't get Champs league then we've got no chance of getting them. When will this many players of this caliber become available in one pre season again? It'll be a long time, and we'll have missed the boat.

I'm fucking fuming.

i actually believe with the players we have, and the talent on the pitch and on the bench that we should have had 4th locked the fucl up by now given how fucked the league is this season.

that fact that we don't is proof that you can't buy it straight away and need time to gel, but fuck me...by now we should have been tearing Everton, Stoke and other sides a new asshole. I'm sorry, but you don't have the run we've had against the better teams and then fucking spit the bit like we have at times this season without it being down to the players. If they play hard and focus we're top 4 easy.

we need a serious clean out of about 2-3 of these cunts. I'm serious. And i'm fuming like Bingo is. It's been, and STILL FUCKING IS, right there for us if we want it. Do we want it? Spurs do. ANd they are a good side. We are not a consistently good side.

If we don't get 4th i expect Mancini to be here even tho in spirit he should be gone. Mourinho isn't going to come, and in a WC year how are you going to let another new manager restock the cabinet in just a few weeks?

i think we'll try and lock up Mancini, Kidd and Marwoods targets before the WC even starts, and give Roberto one more season to show us something. But i won't be happy with 5th or 6th when i feel like a squad effort throughout the season could have made this really really magical.

sorry if that seems ambitious or not in keeping with the "best season ever in the prem" mentality, but i find that to be the epitome of Typical City really....i do.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:30 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
Bingo Lewis wrote:The reason not getting 4th will be a massive failure for us is down to one reason.

Villa and Silva are available this summer. we've no chance without the chumps league.

Some of the best players in the world will be available this summer. If we don't get Champs league then we've got no chance of getting them. When will this many players of this caliber become available in one pre season again? It'll be a long time, and we'll have missed the boat.

I'm fucking fuming.

i actually believe with the players we have, and the talent on the pitch and on the bench that we should have had 4th locked the fucl up by now given how fucked the league is this season.

that fact that we don't is proof that you can't buy it straight away and need time to gel, but fuck me...by now we should have been tearing Everton, Stoke and other sides a new asshole. I'm sorry, but you don't have the run we've had against the better teams and then fucking spit the bit like we have at times this season without it being down to the players. If they play hard and focus we're top 4 easy.

we need a serious clean out of about 2-3 of these cunts. I'm serious. And i'm fuming like Bingo is. It's been, and STILL FUCKING IS, right there for us if we want it. Do we want it? Spurs do. ANd they are a good side. We are not a consistently good side.

If we don't get 4th i expect Mancini to be here even tho in spirit he should be gone. Mourinho isn't going to come, and in a WC year how are you going to let another new manager restock the cabinet in just a few weeks?

i think we'll try and lock up Mancini, Kidd and Marwoods targets before the WC even starts, and give Roberto one more season to show us something. But i won't be happy with 5th or 6th when i feel like a squad effort throughout the season could have made this really really magical.

sorry if that seems ambitious or not in keeping with the "best season ever in the prem" mentality, but i find that to be the epitome of Typical City really....i do.

cheers

this is not meant as an excuse for not grabbing 4th, but everyone seems to be forgetting the fact that we changed the fuclin manager and system half way through the fuclin season.. and are now expecting that we are slightly better than we were without any consequences of that change. Had Mancini been here since the summer i would agree that by now we should be able to get past Stoke and beat Everton, but as he wasnt you simply have to have some leeway in your thinking. We are getting better, Toure said this week that the players are now understanding what Bob wants.. so the space for excuses is reducing game by game. If the key players stay fit then the timing is still ok.. good in fact as we are progressing at the right time. This team can do it, it is down to Bob now imo to take the shackles off and trust them.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:08 pm

brite blu sky wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

I'm fucking fuming.

cheers

this is not meant as an excuse for not grabbing 4th, but everyone seems to be forgetting the fact that we changed the fuclin manager and system half way through the fuclin season.. and are now expecting that we are slightly better than we were without any consequences of that change. Had Mancini been here since the summer i would agree that by now we should be able to get past Stoke and beat Everton, but as he wasnt you simply have to have some leeway in your thinking. We are getting better, Toure said this week that the players are now understanding what Bob wants.. so the space for excuses is reducing game by game. If the key players stay fit then the timing is still ok.. good in fact as we are progressing at the right time. This team can do it, it is down to Bob now imo to take the shackles off and trust them.

i actually see it the other way...i think Mancini needs to trust himself and make some decisions. If he weren't Italian we'd think he was fuclin Steve McLaren. He seems like a mealy-mouthed, blah, blah, blah...his kickass move against Golem was a direct result of his internal frustration about the situation. He doesn't know what to do.

Am i seeing things incorrectly? Let me tell you this...if he puts out a side today with Ireland and RIchards in it then i will know he has no fuclin idea what his best formation is...and is just making shit up as he goes along. Anyone with me on this? And even if that team wins 4-1 he won't commit to playing it again consistently. Isn't that what we've been doing the last 2 months? Ignoring success, and stubbornly clinging to failures or almosts?

sorry...im having a bad day at work maybe? who knows...

[youtube]3taEuL4EHAg[/youtube]

cheers

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum