Summer signings

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Summer signings

Postby john@staustell » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:34 am

As no-one is feeling like posting much at the moment, let's analyse what might be needed in the next round of incomings. The further up the ladder you get of course, the harder it becomes to go up the next notch. The Everton game highlighted our failings mainly in midfield of course, but I think there is a case that all areas need strengthening. Whether the owners will want to go an extra mile is another question - 'spent 3 years budget last summer'?

Strikers: We've been light on these all season. I remember KK once saying you needed 6 top strikers to mount a title challenge and, whilst SCUM disprove this constantly, I reckon Mancini had about 6 at Inter, including fat boy Adriano etc. With Bellamy used as a midfielder, we have only had Ade, Santa and Tevez. All 3 have spent a lot of time out, and I reckon we could've easily employed another 2 this season, and rested Tevez more, like Weds when he was kicked to death. So I can't see other than at least one top striker coming in, and that without any departures.

Midfield: Possibly the most frustrating part of it. Johnson 2 is a breath of fresh air but SWP seems to be losing it, and how long will Bellers stand up to it? Centre mids are all rather pedestrian and defensive, except Ireland who's off form (and injured), and Bobby declared his intention of a box to box man with the last day fiasco in January. If Jonno 1 came back it would be an asset. But i think we're looking at one box to box man and a flanker, at least.

Defence: Are we over-critical, or is it really that only Lescott and Kompany are up to it - although Toure has bucked up a bit lately? Both full back positions are not wholly satisfactory, so I reckon 2 full backs and one CB this summer - although if Bobby is still here there are signs the club will stick with the high investment that is Bridge.

Goalkeeper: Criticism is sneaking in, but I cant see a change here myself. If he had the right players in front of him he would be a pretty safe bet. But then those big links just dont go away.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Re: Summer signings

Postby CityGer » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:55 am

I'm still not convinced that we have enough players in the squad who are good enough to compete at the top of the premiership consistenly and I think we need to bring a few players in and make some upgrades. Centre half, right back, midfield and a partner for Carlos who won't allow his own ego and petulance to get him suspended for nearly a quarter of the season.

I disagree about Bridge, I think he can more than hold his own.

Possible targets :

Maicon
Chielini / Cahill (struggling for centre halfs)
De Rossi
Sneijder / Hamsik / Gerrard
Torres

I've also been really impressed with Milner this season, he is developing in to a top player and at 24 would be a smart buy. Another player I'd love to see us buy is Danny Wilson from Rangers, he's a young centre half who is destied for the very top. I've not seen a better young defender in years.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby Vhero » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:19 am

Pointless in talking about signings as our final position is gonna have a MASSIVE impact on the calibre of player we can sign.. We could talk about positions thoguh and I think the position we need most is striker. We should ship out Jo and Boj straight away...
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby gilford » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:57 am

And what about the "Managers"? The Special One?
gilford
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Kun Aguero

Postby Mike J » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:18 am

CityGer wrote:I'm still not convinced that we have enough players in the squad who are good enough to compete at the top of the premiership consistenly and I think we need to bring a few players in and make some upgrades. Centre half, right back, midfield and a partner for Carlos who won't allow his own ego and petulance to get him suspended for nearly a quarter of the season.

Possible targets :

Maicon
De Rossi
Torres

I've also been really impressed with Milner this season, he is developing in to a top player and at 24 would be a smart buy. Another player I'd love to see us buy is Danny Wilson from Rangers, he's a young centre half who is destied for the very top. I've not seen a better young defender in years.

if we finish outside the top 4 we have zero chance of landing any of them.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Dubciteh » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:26 am

Mike J wrote:
CityGer wrote:I'm still not convinced that we have enough players in the squad who are good enough to compete at the top of the premiership consistenly and I think we need to bring a few players in and make some upgrades. Centre half, right back, midfield and a partner for Carlos who won't allow his own ego and petulance to get him suspended for nearly a quarter of the season.

Possible targets :

Maicon
De Rossi
Torres

not true, we might get danny wilson ;P
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby TheGOAT » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:27 am

Gourcoff
Benzema
De Rossi

and a couple defenders
"Watch a DVD, eat some pizza
**** each other!
I'm serious!!
**** a chicken if that's what it takes...
Watch a chicken ******* a horse...
What? You think the guys at google sat around watching Trumpton?"
TheGOAT
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Postby john@staustell » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:48 am

Mike J wrote:

Possible targets :

Maicon
De Rossi
Torres

Not really sure about that mate. I think this 'must have Champions League' business is a massive media myth. Players will do anything for money, especially if they can see a club going in the right direction with a 30,000 stadium extension planned or whatever. Torres wont leave the Dippers if they dont get CL. He may leave because they dont sign 5 good players and show ambition to get there. Most of them play too many games for their money they reckon!

The number of clubs paying top dollar is going down and down. Show me a player who'd take 30K a week less for Champions League footie and I'll show you 50 who'll take the money - like Tevez, Adebayor and Barry to name but 3!

Besides, with Spuds run-in we ARE still favourites for 4th.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby avoidconfusion » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:20 pm

Here is who I would try to get:

Defense:

Maicon / Boateng (from HSV) / Mertesacker / Lahm

Midfield:

Sneijder / Hamsik / Yaya Toure / De Rossi

Striker:

Torres / Villa / Higuain / Dzeko / Ibisevich

I don't mean buy all of them, but one or more of the ones listed above. At least one for each position I listed.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby Crossie » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:42 pm

If we finish 5th we are a far more attractive prospect than last summer, when we finished er 10th? or 9th? i dont remember. People will be taking us more seriously now.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby dazby » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:49 pm

gilford wrote:And what about the "Managers"? The Special One?

Don't go there girlfriend.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Grob » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:19 am

If you can shift Adebayor id replace him with another forward, dzeko, vila, someone better.

Midfield we need 2 in the middle and a world class one out wide.

Defence we need a better right back. Micah and Zabs not good enough right now. Young left back to challange bridge also.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby HeyMark » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:47 pm

Dubciteh wrote:
Mike J wrote:

Possible targets :

Maicon
De Rossi
Torres

not true, we might get danny wilson ;P

He's scored for rangers today, now we've no hope of getting him :(
HeyMark
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby BoltFromTheBlue » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:19 pm

Malouda, please City
Tick tock tick tock.
BoltFromTheBlue
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby simon12 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:23 pm

BoltFromTheBlue wrote:Malouda, please City

I`d rather nail my manhood to the floor.
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby Green & Blue » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:58 pm

We have a few obvious areas we need to address in the summer.Not all of them to come obviously but players i would like to see at city.

defenders

Maicon-fantastic player,i think he will be costly if we can get inter to sell.That is if we go for him.
Chiellini- quality centre back, very dependable
Santon-quality young wing back might be worth a look if Inter are not interested in selling Maicon

midfielders

Gourcuff-fantastic young player brilliant on the ball going forward.Exactly the kind of player we need to link midfield to attack.85 games for bordeux the past 2 seasons with 25 goals and 24 assists.
Ronaldinho-eyebrows will be raised at this im sure but i have been watching a lot of italian football and hes got his swagger back.On top of his game again and a joy to watch.Can play on the left or as an attacking midfielder.
Xabi Alonso-great passer of the ball and proven quality in the premier league
Sneijder-great player he would be another player i would love to have as an attacking midfielder.Lovely passer and very useful from deadball situations.
Van der Vaart- i think Madrid may be looking to offload a couple in the summer to balance the books.Ive always like Van der Vaart and think he would be a good signing.
Ashley Young-with Petrov looking happy to run down his contract he would be worth a look.Very fast and looks to be improving each season.
Joe Cole-if his contract negotiations break down with chelsea he would be one hell of a freebie.
Arjen Robben-terrific player

Strikers
Villa-great player,hopefully this summer he will finally move from Valencia
Torres-already showing signs that he may have to consider moving on.Yes please, best striker around.
Hiquain-really playing well this season,huge talent and great finisher
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby gillie » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:20 pm

Ronaldinho showed at the swamp that he is another lazy arsed Brazilian who wont work for the team only himself so its a no from me mate.
Gourcuff i would take in a heartbeat though as he is Zidane like in his play not as good but very much like in his game so thats a yes from me.
Higuian is another i would take in a heartbeat this guy can really finnish so thats another yes from me.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby john@staustell » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:36 am

Grob wrote:If you can shift Adebayor id replace him with another forward, dzeko, vila, someone better.

Defence we need a better right back. Micah and Zabs not good enough right now. Young left back to challange bridge also.

I agree with you on midfield and defence mate, but I think we've been pretty short of strikers, all things considered. So no need to replace Ade, just add another one or two. He IS pretty classy at times.
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby bluechester » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:47 pm

think we need some creativity in midfield, diego, gourcuff, snieder, anouther striker villa, higuan, benzema, i would also like a new right winger, dont think shaunys been upto scratch, maybe from benfica i think can remember is name angel something or anouther, hleb, joe cole for nothing,
bluechester
Superman's Underpants

Postby Vhero » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:30 pm

john@staustell wrote:
Grob wrote:If you can shift Adebayor id replace him with another forward, dzeko, vila, someone better.

I agree with you on midfield and defence mate, but I think we've been pretty short of strikers, all things considered. So no need to replace Ade, just add another one or two. He IS pretty classy at times.

I agree Ade shouldn't be replaced we should ship out the dead wood instead like Boj (who don't want to be here), Jo and Ceicedo and maybe RSC due to his fitness or lack of as its not only costing us money but performances too.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Return to The Maine Football forum