Champions League 2010/2011

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Champions League 2010/2011

Postby the_georgian_genius » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:35 am

What are people's expectations for our first year in the Champions League if we do qualify for it this season.

For me just getting to the group stage would be an achievment on it's own, get used to it as a club and as fans and find our feet in it.

Obviously i want us to get as far as possible but realisticly because of our european co-officiency being so low we would be the 4th seeded team in the group and going off this years tournament would look something like this.

Real Madrid, AC Milan, Marseille, Manchester City
Barcelona, Internazionale, Dynamo Kyiv, Manchester City
Bayern Munich, Porto, Atlético Madrid, Manchester City (replaced Chelsea with Bayern)

Very, very tough and of course it all depends on the draw, we could get a favourable one like Arsenal this season.

but i would want a group like the three groups above, they'd be great nights and i'd expect us to finish 3rd and then go all the way to Dublin in the Europa League!

It's very exciting anyway, i just hope we do it!!
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Re: Champions League 2010/2011

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:49 am

Best case: last 16

Worst case: Get to groups, 4th place.

What I think: Either out in qualifying round, and straight to groups of Europa League, or 3rd place and into the last 32 of it. I reckon we'll make the semis of that competition eventually, possibly even win it.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby mcfc1632 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:51 am

Last 8 - no seriously - as we already have a very good squad and we will add 1 or 2 top players if we qualify
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby stinky pete » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:42 am

isn,t the final at wembeley next year?
stinky pete
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: mcfc
My favourite player is: v kompany

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:03 pm

I don't see us making 4th, but if we did I'd be happy with making the group stages. However, if we do make it there'll be plenty more players coming in so the expectation may be a lot higher than it is with our current squad.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Moonchesteri » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:45 pm

I miss european football. Honestly, a few weeks after the season ends I'll be happy even if we make it only to the Uefa Europa League.
And should we make it to UCL, we must make it to group stages and after that anything can happen really
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:49 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:I don't see us making 4th, but if we did I'd be happy with making the group stages. However, if we do make it there'll be plenty more players coming in so the expectation may be a lot higher than it is with our current squad.

Which must really be inspiring our current playing staff.

the_georgian_genius wrote:...

Good grief. Let's get there first before we start booking our hotels.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:54 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:I don't see us making 4th, but if we did I'd be happy with making the group stages. However, if we do make it there'll be plenty more players coming in so the expectation may be a lot higher than it is with our current squad.

Exactly mate. I've just posed a question in another thread asking why the players don't seem to be adhering to what Mancio wants, and for me, this is the answer. People like Micah who are continually in and out of the team (even being replaced by Vieira), are more probably looking at sitting out most of the games next season, if not sold. Are they really putting in maximum effort and playing to the plan because from where I'm sat, Mancio definately looks totally befuddled by what's going-on on the pitch.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby gillie » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:53 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:

Exactly mate. I've just posed a question in another thread asking why the players don't seem to be adhering to what Mancio wants, and for me, this is the answer. People like Micah who are continually in and out of the team (even being replaced by Vieira), are more probably looking at sitting out most of the games next season, if not sold. Are they really putting in maximum effort and playing to the plan because from where I'm sat, Mancio definately looks totally befuddled by what's going-on on the pitch.

I dont buy into this for one reason and that is all players these days have egos as big as a small country so why would they not want to try to reach the big time so to speak it just does not compute with me.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Biamp » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:16 am

Let us make at the first place, and then we will have plenty of time to talk about it.
Biamp
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Beeks » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:53 am

Not that i'm superstitious or anything...but WTF?
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby john@staustell » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:56 am

Biamp wrote:Let us make at the first place, and then we will have plenty of time to talk about it.

Absolutely.

Somebody posted a thread about the Carling Cup Final which was debated at great length before our semi 2nd leg. Ridiculous.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Vhero » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:23 am

Getting to groups would be good enough as we just need to get the champs league to build our squad then getting back there next season should be a touch easier on the squad. Plus we will come back a lot stronger next year and hopefully push through the group stages.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Return to The Maine Football forum