Vierra is the key

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Vierra is the key

Postby the_georgian_genius » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:38 am

Not as bad as people are making out. Legs have gone but still has the intelligence that De Jong will never have.
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:52 am

bluebananamilksheikh wrote:If Vierra is the key the door well stay well & truly locked !!!!!

that is pretty bad form considering it was HIS pass that opened their defence FINALLY last night for what turned out to be a winner.

Some people seem to underestimate Vieira's calming influence. In games against Sunderland, Fulham and last night for example I thought he was one of the keys to win. Sure he isn't the best in the world in his position like he used to be and he has lost most of his pace, this we all knew when we signed him, but I think and thought when we signed him that he'd be great in games like these and I think that's true. I agree that against villa or Arsenal who play super fast football he will be less useful but truth is we haven't really struggled against good teams this season anyway. It's the average and shit teams we have been struggling against and to be fair Paddy has helped us in this games.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:28 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
bluebananamilksheikh wrote:If Vierra is the key the door well stay well & truly locked !!!!!

that is pretty bad form considering it was HIS pass that opened their defence FINALLY last night for what turned out to be a winner.

Some people seem to underestimate Vieira's calming influence. In games against Sunderland, Fulham and last night for example I thought he was one of the keys to win. Sure he isn't the best in the world in his position like he used to be and he has lost most of his pace, this we all knew when we signed him, but I think and thought when we signed him that he'd be great in games like these and I think that's true. I agree that against villa or Arsenal who play super fast football he will be less useful but truth is we haven't really struggled against good teams this season anyway. It's the average and shit teams we have been struggling against and to be fair Paddy has helped us in this games.

Fucking tosh - his ball over the defense bounced in front of the defender who should have dealt with it and the goalie did a swan dance and missed it as well...fluke of a goal.....sure he gets a lucky assist of sorts but the guy was fucking wank for 90 mins and if you cant see that then your mad mate !!!

Vieira will cost us games if we continue playing him against any decent team..he,s the worst fucking midfielder we have...slow as fuck and passed to so many wigan players tonight that I lost count.....also I think he,s fucking blind as well.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby mcfc1632 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:55 am

Having read your posts criticising people for pointing out SWP's poor play and this one - I think that I have made the link and better understand what makes you tick - you must just think every day what are the opinions that I can disagree with and go against the flow just so that I can be controversial - I can then generate a debate to wallow in

Vierra was crap last night and his role in the 1st goal was a fluke pass - SWP was poor (again) - he has been ever since his dad put pressure on him - it is all about opinions but sometimes yours just seem to be to trigger a response - just like those dicks on talkshite
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john@staustell » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:04 am

I was willing to give Vieira time to get fit and sharp, but he's now had that time and he's just not at it I'm afraid. However I'm sure Bobby knew that Wigan would just keep giving us the ball in this one, and Paddy will be back on the bench at Burnley.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:05 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Fucking tosh - his ball over the defense bounced in front of the defender who should have dealt with it and the goalie did a swan dance and missed it as well...fluke of a goal.....sure he gets a lucky assist of sorts but the guy was fucking wank for 90 mins and if you cant see that then your mad mate !!!

Vieira will cost us games if we continue playing him against any decent team..he,s the worst fucking midfielder we have...slow as fuck and passed to so many wigan players tonight that I lost count.....also I think he,s fucking blind as well.

Like I said, he wouldn't be my option against better teams but against likes of Wigan he is perfect fit for us right now. It's not like we are putting our faith on him to carry us over the next ten years. Temporary solution that is working relatively well in my opinion.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby john@staustell » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:08 am

Maybe folks are expecting a bit too much? Imagine if we hadn't signed him and Barry and/or DeJong got injured or suspended playing every single game. What happens then? No 4th place that's what. In this case Bobby reckoned he could rest Barry for this one, looking at a bigger picture.

And he was right, we scored 3 and conceded nil by my reckoning.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:11 am

john@staustell wrote:Maybe folks are expecting a bit too much? Imagine if we hadn't signed him and Barry and/or DeJong got injured or suspended playing every single game. What happens then? No 4th place that's what. In this case Bobby reckoned he could rest Barry for this one, looking at a bigger picture.

And he was right, we scored 3 and conceded nil by my reckoning.

That's pretty much what I was trying to say as well.

I'm 100% certain midfield will be looked at in summer but I don't think there was anyone decent available in january so Vieira was the one we went for. Barry, De Jong and out of form Ireland didn't offer enough options imo.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mike J » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:22 am

he is terrible now, not even a quarter of the player he used to be. shame because he was fucking awesome.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:34 am

I was interested to read this thread, just to know if I'd just had a downer on him last night. I thought he was woeful and we were carrying a passenger. Didi was as slow, but adapted his game to make himself more than useful in a way that Vieira hasn't. I suspect Bobby has a bit of a fixation with playing him, and I think it may cost us.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby razor400 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:58 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I was interested to read this thread, just to know if I'd just had a downer on him last night. I thought he was woeful and we were carrying a passenger. Didi was as slow, but adapted his game to make himself more than useful in a way that Vieira hasn't. I suspect Bobby has a bit of a fixation with playing him, and I think it may cost us.

The problem is now mate is that unlike Didi who had an attack minded mid alongside him, Vierra has a similar although fitter version of himself, which leads to a lot of back/sideways passing and gives him little options to get rid of the ball into an attacking motion of play. (piss poor english I know but I'm hungover). Hopefully Mancini feels that barry has had enough rest and Vierra will be returned to the bench.
[/border][/b]
[/color]
razor400

Supporter of: Champions
My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby Original Dub » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:09 am

I thought he was a poor buy at the time and I've waited until now to give my opinion on him...

He is even more passed it than I thought he'd be. He is soooooo slow its unbelievable and 9 times out of 10 forward passing is immediately picked up by the opposition , who glide past him with ease.

Someone said he has a calming influence on the team? No fucking way, if anything he makes them more nervous especially last night when he misplaced pass after pass.

A poor poor signing and I hope he is there to come on for the last 15 when we're a couple of goals to the good from now on.

I'm not gonna slag him off, but I don't see what he brings to the side, considering we have other superior midfield options.
Original Dub

Postby Vhero » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:22 am

Original Dub wrote:I thought he was a poor buy at the time and I've waited until now to give my opinion on him...

He is even more passed it than I thought he'd be. He is soooooo slow its unbelievable and 9 times out of 10 forward passing is immediately picked up by the opposition , who glide past him with ease.

Someone said he has a calming influence on the team? No fucking way, if anything he makes them more nervous especially last night when he misplaced pass after pass.

A poor poor signing and I hope he is there to come on for the last 15 when we're a couple of goals to the good from now on.

I'm not gonna slag him off, but I don't see what he brings to the side, considering we have other superior midfield options.

I agree with everything said mate well put. I also don't see the point of playing him with De Jong who is a very similar player playing them together does nothing but slows down our game anyway.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Slim » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:24 am

He gave away the ball 9 times last night and that stat doesn't include the amount of times he undercooked a pass to put his teammate in an impossible position, yes he made the pass for the opening goal and a clever move it was as well but one pass that relied on a keeping howler in an otherwise dismal performance still makes it a pretty dire performance.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby btajim » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:34 pm

You have to wonder how many times our Manager will insist on starting with him like he did last night. As previously mentioned, he'd not be able to keep up with Arsenal's play and other sides will begin to pick up on him and exploit his weaknesses.

We should never have to start with both De Jong and Vieira. Especially against a Team like Wigan.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby colonel_muck » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:45 pm

he had a shocker last night no doubt but i think he's been alright for us. do agree with the sideways passing element though. and definitely disagree with anyone who think barry is a better replacement. we need to put stevie in the middle with either NDJ or Paddy to eradicate that sideways passing.
colonel_muck
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man city
My favourite player is: David Silva

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum