Vierra is the key

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Vierra is the key

Postby gillie » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:28 pm

To unlocking the big four gate imo and i dont mean by playing.I mean by the very fact that he has been there and done it all and his experiance is going to be vital over the run in.He will need to guide the players through all the hype and bullshit that surrounds a title run in and lets be honest that is what we are in really its us against the Spuds in reality.Thoughts?.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Re: Vierra is the key

Postby bluebananamilksheikh » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:42 pm

I thought when we bought him he would be the key but to be honest he does not have the legs to match his speed of thought
bluebananamilksheikh
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Champ1-6ns 12
My favourite player is: Richard Wright

Postby Chinners » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:57 pm

He'll be useful for advice and thats about it on his football showing for us so far imo
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Blue Toy » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:59 pm

A new face giving advice is probably not what we need. Put yourself where the other players are, in walks Vieira saying "been there done that" I don't think it's a good thing. On the pitch for guidance maybe, but not off it.
[center]Image[/center]
Blue Toy
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:11 pm

Is this a new guy we've signed? For a very brief moment I considered that you might mean Vieira but then scoffed at the thought that he could be key to anything!
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby colonel_muck » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:33 pm

i think he's been good for us would rather see him play for the first hour of every game than gareth barry
colonel_muck
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man city
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:17 am

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:Is this a new guy we've signed? For a very brief moment I considered that you might mean Vieira but then scoffed at the thought that he could be key to anything!

Apparently this Vierra fella we've "bought" as well so it can't be the slow-footed, trophied up Frenchy yr thinking of whom we grabbed on loan from Inter.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby john@staustell » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:38 am

colonel_muck wrote:i think he's been good for us would rather see him play for the first hour of every game than gareth barry

Or the first half against Everton instead of Nigel.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Fish111 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:43 am

I don't think Vieira holds the key to anything personally. He isn't the answer to our midfield woes. He does free up Barry to get forward a little more rather than NDJ but he hasn't the legs anymore to last the pace unfortunately.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:23 am

Fish111 wrote:I don't think Vieira holds the key to anything personally. He isn't the answer to our midfield woes. He does free up Barry to get forward a little more rather than NDJ but he hasn't the legs anymore to last the pace unfortunately.

I don't think he is older or slower than Did Hamann was and he did a very decent job for us in his last 2 seasons.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby dikdik » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:01 am

For what it's worth I agree with this thought. I think Vieireiieaaia would ideal in the centre of the park with a lot of young legs around him (not in a gay way!)
dikdik
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby btajim » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:05 am

He had a reasonable Match against Fulham. I don't agree with his arrival on anything more than a 6 month loan deal as a Player there to come in whenever he's needed. Invaluable experience, though.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Bluez » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:28 am

Mancini will be the key, when he has chosen to go for an attacking line up we have been really good. When he comes out too defensive we are dire. A number of our players are used to the pressure already (Toure, Ade, Tevez, Silyvinho) and some like Bellamy don't strike me as the nerous type so we should have enough calming players.

In teh last few games it will all come down to what formation they are sent out in.
Light travels faster than sound.
Thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

DISCLAIMER- My views are mine alone, and probably rubbish anyway.
Bluez
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:43 am

Not really into that scene! Personally I'd say Mancini, Tevez or even Shay were the key, but definately not 'Vieira'!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Citeh&Crew » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:25 pm

I think too many here are caught up with Vieira's pace, although there is validity to this point from one aspect.

Pace.. pace pace pace pace. Please, go sign Usain Bolt.

PV is a class footballer who can still move fast enough to play in the Prem. His vision from midfield has no equal on our team. Case-in-point, in the Sunderland game, he made a few defense splitting passes that were simply brilliant. He adds "Barcelona-esque" component to our game. In fact, I'd love for our team to play like that all the time, but for some damn reason, Mancini and his predecessor seem to like playing defensive boot-ball as a significant part of the gameplan. It just galls me that we have the personnel to field a "passing" team, but don't do it. Not to say I want a managerial change, because I don't.. but back on topic...

Vieira needs consistent playing time to be effective. Not saying that he should play a full 90, and play every game. (To the contrary, that would be bad for him and the team). However, I strongly believe he should be playing 60 minutes per game, so as to get warmed up and into a rhythm with the team. Vieira cannot do much for the team as a sub-in every few games.. that's a wasteful use of his abilities.
Citeh&Crew

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:57 pm

Citeh&Crew wrote:I think too many here are caught up with Vieira's pace, although there is validity to this point from one aspect.

Pace.. pace pace pace pace. Please, go sign Usain Bolt.

PV is a class footballer who can still move fast enough to play in the Prem. His vision from midfield has no equal on our team. Case-in-point, in the Sunderland game, he made a few defense splitting passes that were simply brilliant. He adds "Barcelona-esque" component to our game. In fact, I'd love for our team to play like that all the time, but for some damn reason, Mancini and his predecessor seem to like playing defensive boot-ball as a significant part of the gameplan. It just galls me that we have the personnel to field a "passing" team, but don't do it. Not to say I want a managerial change, because I don't.. but back on topic...

Vieira needs consistent playing time to be effective. Not saying that he should play a full 90, and play every game. (To the contrary, that would be bad for him and the team). However, I strongly believe he should be playing 60 minutes per game, so as to get warmed up and into a rhythm with the team. Vieira cannot do much for the team as a sub-in every few games.. that's a wasteful use of his abilities.

I think Vieira has done ok & would have done a much more effective job than Ireland v Everton but the idea that his lack of mobility isn't a factor is wrong imo. If Vieira plays we either take the calculated risk of being exposed when he's caught out, play an extra midfielder or designate someone a job of watching for holes & covering for him but make no mistake about it, he will get caught out.

I recon I could play a few decent defence splitting passes but I wouldn't fancy chasing Everton's midfield, or Fabregas, or Modric down the pitch & neither would Vieira.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:07 pm

Vieira would be useful against the lesser teams where we wouldn't have to play what would be in effect 3 defensive midfielders. We need to be on the front foot and mainly in their half for him to be effective.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Bingo Lewis » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:24 am

I don't know about Paddy. He's shown a few glimpses of why we signed him. I rated him as MOM against Fulham, but he would be absolutely useless against a pacey team. He's got the noggin for it though, and I certainly don't have any problems with him being in our squad.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby bluebananamilksheikh » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:39 pm

If Vierra is the key the door well stay well & truly locked !!!!!
bluebananamilksheikh
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Champ1-6ns 12
My favourite player is: Richard Wright

Postby bluechester » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:42 pm

if vierra is the key, then we play in one very shit league, worst player on the pitch tonight, game just passed him by, way too slow, not upto the tempo, WAS a great player not anymore
bluechester
Superman's Underpants

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum