Martin O'Neill

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Martin O'Neill

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:48 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Martin O'Neill is a quality Manager...Martin O'Neill with decent backing would be a phenomenal Manager

How much do you reckon he's been backed with already?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:23 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Builds basically the same team wherever he goes; hard working, unspectacular, often long ball football, relying heavily on big men, & set pieces. Won't succeed at the highest level until he starts building a better one, which may well be beyond him.

Is immune to the same criticism City's managers get & no matter how much he fucks up, it gets papered over & somehow he gets credit for it from the same kind of people who slaughter our managers for a fraction of the same faults & style of football.

Villa since start of 2010 - W4, D6, L1 = Pts 18
City since start of 2010 - W5, D3, L3 = Pts 18

O'neil is under a lot of pressure from Villa fans, you only have to listen to some of the phone ins. The difference is that the pundits usually automatically dismiss the callers as loonies as O'neil does seem beyond criticism in the establishment. The reality is, Villa have had some poor results just the same as we have, however during their 6 draws since the turn of the year, they have played U***d, Arsenal, Spuds and Chelsea and only lost 1, whilst getting to the Carling Cup final.
Their failure to beat the smaller teams, particularly at home is similar to our run of draws under Hughes, but the key difference will be whether we can beat the bigger sides which they have failed to do. I think Villa fans are concerned that like us, they had the opportunities to put some good points on the board in recent months against pretty poor opposition and failed to do so, which was compounded by not sneaking a win against any of the bigger clubs when they also had the opportunity.

Give him a good centre forward who can score regularly in the summer and Villa will be fighting it out at the top IMO.

And they are on FA Cup Semis. So they have done well on league AND in BOTH Cups. He is not immune for critism but he does less mistakes (with a team that has been built with considerably less money than ours) than our managers have done.

Yeah forgot that. Maybe it was the distraction that has caused the league form to be a bit shaky. I think you can write the chelsea game off to a freak result, it happens to every team at some point, jees who'd have thought we would have scored 4 there, that is an equally big shock result.

Yes the home draws with Wolves and Sunderland werent great, but by the same token it was their first defeat in 3 months aside from the Carling cup final, if you add in their cup games, they have lost 2 in 19, to United and Chelsea - W9, D8, L2 hardly a shabby record, and I think if you had offered them potentially 2 cup finals and 6th at the start of the year, they would have been delirious with that, as would we.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Beeks » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:24 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Martin O'Neill is a quality Manager...Martin O'Neill with decent backing would be a phenomenal Manager

How much do you reckon he's been backed with already?

Nothing like what we've been backed with...suppose what i'm saying is I wouldn't be disappointed should he land on our doorstep in the future...he probably won't...but I rate him
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Wooders » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Wooders wrote:I did and still do rate Hughes over him as a Prem manager

That's a bold statement considering Hughes has won nothing on his management career.

I really rate O'Neill. Yes, his sides play relatively booring football but he gets results and always the best out of players he has got.

I *knew* you were gonna say that, not saying you're predictable or anything

Nor has O'Neill in terms of the prem FYI
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby btajim » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:55 pm

Hughes has got an excellent eye in the transfer market - but O'Neill is a better Man Manager. The Guy patiently worked his way up the ladder in Football, too. i.e. Wycombe, Leicester.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Big Buddha Cheese » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:03 pm

O'Neill has a history of success. I tend to rate managers who can boast that.
Big Buddha Cheese
Joey Barton's Twitter Account

Supporter of: city

Postby Wooders » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:04 pm

btajim wrote:

Hughes has got an excellent eye in the transfer market - but O'Neill is a better Man Manager. The Guy patiently worked his way up the ladder in Football, too. i.e. Wycombe, Leicester.

Reo Coker
Carew
Guzan
L.Young
Delph
Downing

Have all had public spats with O'Neill, and thats just at Villa, personally I don't go for this wonderful man manager legend that surrounds him
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby HeyMark » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:06 pm

I like Martin O'Neill but his only success of any real note is getting Celtic to the Uefa Cup final, Gordon Strachan won the scottish league 3 times in a row and got them to the last 16 of the champions league, something O'Neill couldnt manage yet to their fans strachan is the anti-christ while O'Neill is a god!

It would be interesting to see how he'd cope in a top 4 job
HeyMark
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Dameerto » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:07 pm

Bluez wrote:Just out of interest, how do people rate him? He is often considered one of teh most promising British managers yet if you look just a little deeper he becomes a bit more of a nearly man. He has been a Villa a while now, they have been comfortable top 6 for a while and yet even after being one of the highest spending managers in the league over the last couple of years he cannot take them further. The year we were taken over he was the third highest spending manager in Europe but we did him a favour by overshadowing him.

Part of the reason he is high spending is because he tries to buy English where possible. I see him as someone who commands respect from his players and I usually found myself agreeing with him while he was a TV pundit.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby btajim » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:07 pm

Wooders wrote:Reo Coker
Carew
Guzan
L.Young
Delph
Downing

Have all had public spats with O'Neill, and thats just at Villa, personally I don't go for this wonderful man manager legend that surrounds him

More like Nobhead Footballers who've tried to cross him. Reo-Coker is a Melon by all accounts (i.e. all the West Ham I know) and the likes of Carew are in the Team and scoring.

I finished Stan Collymore's Autobiography recently and he rates O'Neill above everyone he's played for.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Wooders » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:09 pm

I think most footballers who fall out with their managers are pretty much nob-heads of the highest order
but guzan etc were dropped without explanation (in the carling cup final in guzans case) by o'neill hence the fallout, as I say, I think this man o' the people style manager legend is all smoke and mirrors
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby eastlands-lostboy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:55 pm

Certainly a capable manager, who has bags of ability. He could be classed as a nearly man however he is a fantastic motivator of players. He would IMO become a great manager with the resource we have at his disposal. All speculative and we do not need more change......so fuck him Hughes is/was as good
My wife says " You only support City because they keep going down on you"
eastlands-lostboy
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum