City V Wigan Player Ratings

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

City V Wigan Player Ratings

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:20 pm

GIVEN 7 - A couple of cracking saves which you always expect Shay to save and he duly did. Was good to see his energy, desperate to get the ball back from the crowd and ballboys as quickly as possible. Kicking was same as normal. Needs to improve this.

ZABALETA 6 - Offers more to the right back role than Richards does as he can pass and cross. Yet again sold himself short on more than one occassion which would have been punished by a goal from a superior team. I've come to the conclusion that Zabba will never become a decent full back and is heading towards being our rich man's Sun Jihai.

GARRIDO 6 - Not too bad a game for Garrido. Can't remember him being under any pressure or getting outrun down the wing. Didn't contribute much down the left wing though and crossing was overhit pretty much every time. Unlucky with the freekick with wicked dip

KOMPANY 6 - Nothing too bad from Vincent and one outstanding run with the ball. Got caught out of position a couple of times when the ball was kicked over the top though.

TOURE 6 - For most parts not trouble but he cannot deal with long balls at all and this could of cost us twice if the Wigan striker could shoot straight. He just makes me nervous every time he plays. Weak and poor in the air are not good attributes for a centre back.

SWP 5 - Got a lot of the ball early on but wasted it everytime by losing it or running straight into the full back. It's all going wrong for shaunny and was hauled off at half time too.

De JONG 5 - Yet another nothing performance from Nigel in a game when he needs to take more control and carry the ball forward. Its like playing with 10 men sometimes with De Jong. Passing wasn't good in the first half but improved in the second. Wonder when he'll learn to move with the ball and pass forward?

VIEIRA 4 - 90 minutes of watching through my fingers at a premiership legend who is starting to take the shine off his reputation. Woeful passing of Joey Barton proportions (maybe something in that No. 24 shirt?) No pace and he was embarassing falling over and asking for a freekick on more than 3 ocassions. Against a better midfield he would have directly contributed to them scoring two goals. Good job it was Wigan though. Please retire Patrick for the sake of your legend status.

JOHNSON 7 - Looked good for most of the game and a wonderful run which took him past 4 players with close control was a joy to watch. Adam is blowing a bit hot and cold but from next season onwards I think we will see a great player develop. Crossing was poor tonight but link up play with Tevez was excellent.

ADEBAYOR 4 - Wow, rusty doesn't cover it tonight! Lazy, offside more than Benjani, a first touch which resulted in the ball going 20 foot away from him every time. His second touch was always a tackle and often a foul. Useless performance. Only hope it got him match fit for Burnley.

TEVEZ 9 - Wow for all the opposite reasons to the Ade wow. Without Carlos we'd be buggered. He ran the game for us and was the only threat we had. City are turning into a one man team unfortunately but when Tevez is on fire he wins games single handedly. Great finishing tonight, needs to work on his passing and throughballs though.

BELLAMY 6 - Came on at half time and added some much needed bite chasing down balls and getting tackles in. Faded a bit out of the game and should of made move of an overall impact. He isn't looking like scoring at the moment but his team play makes up for it.

MATCH RATING 6 - One of the worst 45 minutes you'll see at Eastlands this season. Game changed on the sending off and Tevez's world class quality showed as he ran the show from 70 mins onwards. Wigan had far too many good chances on goal for my liking and we need to close down more effectively higher up the pitch.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Re: City V Wigan Player Ratings

Postby edgeley blue » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:00 am

Given 6 A couple of decent saves but ones any goalie should save. For me, needs to practice kicking the ball to city shirts, should stay behind in training to learn this.

Zabba 6 As usual a slow start to the game, grows in confidence as the match goes on. No different tonight

Garrido 6 Is he the slowest fullback in the prem or are all right wingers just quicker? Tonight same as Zabba, seemed to grow in confidence

Toure 6 Solid enough

Kompany 7 Thought he put in his usual manful performance and a great touch for Tevez to score

SWP 6 Actually thought he played alright tonight, surprised he was taken off at half time

Johnson 6 Good second half but seems in awe of his team-mates too often

De Jong 5 Was he playing?

Vieira 7 thought he was very clever this evening, a couple of mis placed passes but also two assists. IMO still class

Ade 7 Ran at everything in the first half and contributed to our dominance in the second

Carlos 9 Never gave in, got kicked to crap and scores a hat-trick. Would have been a 10 but for missing a sitter in the first half after great work by SWP

Bellers 7 Put a bit of fire into us when he came on

Overall I think we did ok tonight, Wigan tried to do an Everton on us and this time we were upto the job. Great result and three very important points. From now on in I dont care how we get them, but fourth is in our grasp and tonight the effort was definitely there; so well done City
edgeley blue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Doyle

Postby the_georgian_genius » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:35 am

With 6 being average

Given - 6
Zabaleta - 6
Toure - 6
Kompany - 7
Garrido - 6
Johnson - 7
Vieria - 7
De Jong - 5
SWP - 3
Tevez - 10
Adebayor - 7
Bellamy - 6
Onouha and Sylvinho - 11
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby peg-6 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:10 am

Given - 6
Zabaleta - 5
Toure - 6
Kompany - 7
Garrido - 5
Johnson - 7
Vieria - 5
De Jong - 5
SWP - 5
Tevez - 9
Adebayor - 6
Bellamy - 6
peg-6
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:19 am

Boy does Vierra polarise or what?

For my money he was a 6, some great passes and still has the vision and barin, unfortunately for us the body cannot always do what the brain wants these days. Quite often he fell over to make up for being too slow to react and win the ball.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:26 am

edgeley blue wrote:
Overall I think we did ok tonight, Wigan tried to do an Everton on us and this time we were upto the job. Great result and three very important points. From now on in I dont care how we get them, but fourth is in our grasp and tonight the effort was definitely there; so well done City

You have got to be takin the piss there.. i am not sure i can spell it properly but we were absolutely

atrocious
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:09 am

brite blu sky wrote:
edgeley blue wrote:

You have got to be takin the piss there.. i am not sure i can spell it properly but we were absolutely

atrocious

To say I've become disillusioned with reactions on this site after games won in recent times would be understatement of the century. I can understand people moaning and complaining when we drop points. Sometimes I agree with them and sometimes I don't but dropping points is always gutting.

However, we've just beaten Wigan second time in five fookin years. A proper bogey team for us. And people say we were atrocious. I just can't get my head around that. I really can't.

For what it's worth, I throughly enjoyed the game last night. Sure we made some mistakes and there were few less than impressive personal performances (Toure, what's going on with this guy???) but there were also bubbling performances from likes of Jinky and of course Tevez. And we came through as comfortable winners with three points in the bag.

No offence (I really mean it mate) but once you stop enjoying seeing City win, I don't understand why bother anymore.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Dronny » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:09 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:
edgeley blue wrote:

atrocious

To say I've become disillusioned with reactions on this site after games won in recent times would be understatement of the century. I can understand people moaning and complaining when we drop points. Sometimes I agree with them and sometimes I don't but dropping points is always gutting.

However, we've just beaten Wigan second time in five fookin years. A proper bogey team for us. And people say we were atrocious. I just can't get my head around that. I really can't.

For what it's worth, I throughly enjoyed the game last night. Sure we made some mistakes and there were few less than impressive personal performances (Toure, what's going on with this guy???) but there were also bubbling performances from likes of Jinky and of course Tevez. And we came through as comfortable winners with three points in the bag.

No offence (I really mean it mate) but once you stop enjoying seeing City win, I don't understand why bother anymore.

I've always said that good teams win when playing badly, having said that for 65 mins last night I watched the game through my finger's, we were second to the ball, slow off the mark, lacked any creativity, couldn't find our own players and didn't (apart from once) look like scoring. Do you really enjoy us being a "jeckyl and hyde" team whereby we can look shit for two thirds of a game?

I know we won, thank fucl we did, we got away with it because its a results business but as a spectacle it won't have worried the giants of Europe.
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby mcfc1632 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:44 am

If we play like that against a number of teams in our remaining games - our MF will be ripped apart and we will be a poor 2nd - I watched the recording this morning and Tevez often had a disbelieving look on his face - thank fuck his character is one where he just tries harder rather than get fucked off like some do.

He would have loved the space that the Wigan players got in the middle to just run onto the ball and be allowed to shoot - playing Vierra and de jong together at home seems overly cautious - against Wigan when we really need to win seems downright silly - but to see them play and then see the Wigan MF have so much time on the ball was terrible - meant that we were not able to link MF to the strikers - thank fuck for Tevez - and it is getting that way for Johnson - and it was not coincidence that we improved after Bellers came on and he put some effort into closing players down - something that we did nothing of in the 1st half

On a different day - without the sending off we could be on this forum having just dropped 2 or 3 points and reflecting on how that has destroyed our chances - we should enjoy having won and got away with it - but Mancini needs to do something urgently to get us some more effort into the team and this summer we need MFs that link the play
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby btajim » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:49 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:To say I've become disillusioned with reactions on this site after games won in recent times would be understatement of the century. I can understand people moaning and complaining when we drop points. Sometimes I agree with them and sometimes I don't but dropping points is always gutting.

Only after Matches won? The opposite never happened for Draws and Defeats, did it?!

I think the sending off helped change the course of the Match. The first half was poor and Wigan looked set to frustrate us throughout. I did worry that they'd grab something against the run of play and then shut up shop - but Tevez, one of the only Players to really put a succesful shift in, finished them.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:52 am

btajim wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:To say I've become disillusioned with reactions on this site after games won in recent times would be understatement of the century. I can understand people moaning and complaining when we drop points. Sometimes I agree with them and sometimes I don't but dropping points is always gutting.

Only after Matches won? The opposite never happened for Draws and Defeats, did it?!
I think the sending off helped change the course of the Match. The first half was poor and Wigan looked set to frustrate us throughout. I did worry that they'd grab something against the run of play and then shut up shop - but Tevez, one of the only Players to really put a succesful shift in, finished them.

What opposite? Sometimes people celebrate draws, yeah. I've rarely seen people celebrate losses, apart from rags away this season and Hamburg home last season.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby john@staustell » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:55 am

NQDP is right. We've just won 3-0 at home FFS.

I know it wasn't pretty but it's all about 90 minutes, not 65. When teams play a 'top 4 side' they get more and more stretched through the match, leading to sendings-off and to late goals.

How many times have Scum won against nobodies in the last few minutes? Too many to count.

But some people just want us to go out and score a goal every 5 minutes from the off and that's it.

Unrealistic, but maybe understandable seeing it was 1978 when we last got this good (we dont know how to deal with it). And people moaned at Tueart and co then!!!!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Mike J » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:26 am

btajim wrote:

What opposite? Sometimes people celebrate draws, yeah. I've rarely seen people celebrate losses, apart from rags away this season and Hamburg home last season.

dont be daft mate, you are clearly trying to get a reaction out of people there. i dont think anyone was 'celebrating' either of those losses whatsoever.
Mike J

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Mike J » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:27 am

MaineRoadMemories wrote:GIVEN 7 - A couple of cracking saves which you always expect Shay to save and he duly did. Was good to see his energy, desperate to get the ball back from the crowd and ballboys as quickly as possible. Kicking was same as normal. Needs to improve this.

ZABALETA 6 - Offers more to the right back role than Richards does as he can pass and cross. Yet again sold himself short on more than one occassion which would have been punished by a goal from a superior team. I've come to the conclusion that Zabba will never become a decent full back and is heading towards being our rich man's Sun Jihai.

GARRIDO 6 - Not too bad a game for Garrido. Can't remember him being under any pressure or getting outrun down the wing. Didn't contribute much down the left wing though and crossing was overhit pretty much every time. Unlucky with the freekick with wicked dip

KOMPANY 6 - Nothing too bad from Vincent and one outstanding run with the ball. Got caught out of position a couple of times when the ball was kicked over the top though.

TOURE 6 - For most parts not trouble but he cannot deal with long balls at all and this could of cost us twice if the Wigan striker could shoot straight. He just makes me nervous every time he plays. Weak and poor in the air are not good attributes for a centre back.

SWP 5 - Got a lot of the ball early on but wasted it everytime by losing it or running straight into the full back. It's all going wrong for shaunny and was hauled off at half time too.

De JONG 5 - Yet another nothing performance from Nigel in a game when he needs to take more control and carry the ball forward. Its like playing with 10 men sometimes with De Jong. Passing wasn't good in the first half but improved in the second. Wonder when he'll learn to move with the ball and pass forward?

VIEIRA 4 - 90 minutes of watching through my fingers at a premiership legend who is starting to take the shine off his reputation. Woeful passing of Joey Barton proportions (maybe something in that No. 24 shirt?) No pace and he was embarassing falling over and asking for a freekick on more than 3 ocassions. Against a better midfield he would have directly contributed to them scoring two goals. Good job it was Wigan though. Please retire Patrick for the sake of your legend status.

JOHNSON 7 - Looked good for most of the game and a wonderful run which took him past 4 players with close control was a joy to watch. Adam is blowing a bit hot and cold but from next season onwards I think we will see a great player develop. Crossing was poor tonight but link up play with Tevez was excellent.

ADEBAYOR 4 - Wow, rusty doesn't cover it tonight! Lazy, offside more than Benjani, a first touch which resulted in the ball going 20 foot away from him every time. His second touch was always a tackle and often a foul. Useless performance. Only hope it got him match fit for Burnley.

TEVEZ 9 - Wow for all the opposite reasons to the Ade wow. Without Carlos we'd be buggered. He ran the game for us and was the only threat we had. City are turning into a one man team unfortunately but when Tevez is on fire he wins games single handedly. Great finishing tonight, needs to work on his passing and throughballs though.

BELLAMY 6 - Came on at half time and added some much needed bite chasing down balls and getting tackles in. Faded a bit out of the game and should of made move of an overall impact. He isn't looking like scoring at the moment but his team play makes up for it.

MATCH RATING 6 - One of the worst 45 minutes you'll see at Eastlands this season. Game changed on the sending off and Tevez's world class quality showed as he ran the show from 70 mins onwards. Wigan had far too many good chances on goal for my liking and we need to close down more effectively higher up the pitch.

agree with your zabba comments. he just isnt a good player imo. would much prefer micah there. we should definately be on the hunt for a new full back in the summer.
Mike J

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:34 am

Mike J wrote:
btajim wrote:

dont be daft mate, you are clearly trying to get a reaction out of people there. i dont think anyone was 'celebrating' either of those losses whatsoever.

Ok. celebrating might have been tad ott expression but many people felt we had played well and were fairly delighted (considering circumstances) about the game. Point to Jim stands though, people rarely if ever celebrate losses so I didn't get his point at all.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Bingo Lewis » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:42 am

I'm happy we won. Tevez needs a nosh. I'll offer him my bird. I suggest you all do the same.

Vieira and De Jong was a bad choice though. We need the two CM's who weren't on the pitch playing in every home game.

In a 442 with Ireland and Barry in the middle.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Rag_hater » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:17 am

MaineRoadMemories wrote:GIVEN 7 - A couple of cracking saves which you always expect Shay to save and he duly did. Was good to see his energy, desperate to get the ball back from the crowd and ballboys as quickly as possible. Kicking was same as normal. Needs to improve this.

Most of that was not how it seemed to me.
I think Ade had a good game and this lazy tag I think is somewhat of an exageration.For me out of the back four only Kolo had a bad game.Pablo.Javi and Vincent all played well and were a 7 at least .
Rag_hater
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Moonchesteri » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:44 am

Bingo Lewis wrote:I'm happy we won. [highlight]Tevez needs a nosh. I'll offer him my bird. I suggest you all do the same.[/highlight]

Vieira and De Jong was a bad choice though. We need the two CM's who weren't on the pitch playing in every home game.

Ha ha ha. I'd do that but I'd surely get a slap from my missus if I did suggest such a thing!
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:51 am

Moonchesteri wrote:
Bingo Lewis wrote:I'm happy we won. [highlight]Tevez needs a nosh. I'll offer him my bird. I suggest you all do the same.[/highlight]

Ha ha ha. I'd do that but I'd surely get a slap from my missus if I did suggest such a thing!

Oi player! Get your woman under control.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby mr_nool » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:55 am

Moonchesteri wrote:

Oi player! Get your woman under control.

Don't go there Moonchesteri. She would run straight into his arms as soon as he showed her his check book, bought her a nifty little car and gave her a visa card for unlimited shopping in Arndale Centre.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum