ESPN

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

ESPN

Postby john@staustell » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:01 am

Lost a lot of my respect lately, and judging by another thread, that of others too.

Firstly how the fuck did Craig (Tevez should be off') Burley get hired by them? They used to have KK and people like that in the studio earlier in the season, now we have this twat and Clark Carlisle, who just repeated every word of bollox that Waddle had said in the commentary ('City just aren't closing down'). Still at least Burley isn't co-commentating.

Which brings me to that eternal City-hater Chris Waddle. Joe Royle used to do this bit for ESPN didn't he? Waddle annoyed the hell out of me on Radio 5 when we won 3-0 at Wolves. Then he turns up on ESPN. He just spends the whole match saying how poor City are, and when the goals start going in he just shuts up - says nothing at all. Miserable cunt.

He could've spent some time criticising Wigan's dire forwards, or maybe flagged up the fact that City didn't need to close tightly because Wigan just kept giving us the ball back in midfield.

No he's only got one agenda when doing City matches, and ESPN is a lot worse for taking on these 2 cunts.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Re: ESPN

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:42 am

john@staustell wrote:Lost a lot of my respect lately, and judging by another thread, that of others too.

Firstly how the fuck did Craig (Tevez should be off') Burley get hired by them? They used to have KK and people like that in the studio earlier in the season, now we have this twat and Clark Carlisle, who just repeated every word of bollox that Waddle had said in the commentary ('City just aren't closing down'). Still at least Burley isn't co-commentating.

Which brings me to that eternal City-hater Chris Waddle. Joe Royle used to do this bit for ESPN didn't he? Waddle annoyed the hell out of me on Radio 5 when we won 3-0 at Wolves. Then he turns up on ESPN. He just spends the whole match saying how poor City are, and when the goals start going in he just shuts up - says nothing at all. Miserable cunt.

He could've spent some time criticising Wigan's dire forwards, or maybe flagged up the fact that City didn't need to close tightly because Wigan just kept giving us the ball back in midfield.

No he's only got one agenda when doing City matches, and ESPN is a lot worse for taking on these 2 cunts.

I was at the game but a mate was texting me some of the ludicrous things that were being said on the commentary, and unfortunately in that first half, much of it appeared to be true. Obviously from what you say they didnt give any credit in the 2nd half when we scored, but how many times have United played dreadfully in the first half, only to have a mint 10 minutes and blow the opposition away - they do it ALL the time but then it is an "Awesome" display of strength.

Unfortunately, despite the bias sky have, nobody does it better, which is why after the Setanta fiasco I would never pay anyone else a subscription.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby john@staustell » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:48 am

johnpb78 wrote:
john@staustell wrote:Lost a lot of my respect lately, and judging by another thread, that of others too.

I was at the game but a mate was texting me some of the ludicrous things that were being said on the commentary, and unfortunately in that first half, much of it appeared to be true. Obviously from what you say they didnt give any credit in the 2nd half when we scored, but how many times have U***d played dreadfully in the first half, only to have a mint 10 minutes and blow the opposition away - they do it ALL the time but then it is an "Awesome" display of strength.

Unfortunately, despite the bias sky have, nobody does it better, which is why after the Setanta fiasco I would never pay anyone else a subscription.

So true mate. And ties in with my point in another thread about ridiculous expectations from the fans (us). First halves under Bobby are usually about not letting in a goal. Opening up a bit second half. Only exceptions were Fulham when we caught them cold and Stoke away in the cup where we played very well first half and didn't score.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:19 pm

The case of the mysterious disappearing post. Crossan?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Slim » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:28 pm

Last night when the filth subbed off Carrick and Park for Valencia and Berbatov the ESPN commentator(american, god knows who) said that the defensive substitutions were an obvious move as they tried to hold onto their lead.

Two central midfielders for a winger and a striker...not the most defensive move I have seen.(and you have to laugh that those subs probably cost them the game, think Bacon will get up in the post match and say "well, I fucked up there"?)
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:13 pm

Wouldn't surprise me if they were told to turn it down.

With Joe on this season, they've sucked our dick plenty.
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:34 pm

I love ESPN but the latin version and not the fucking cunts you lot get.
I also put on the lap top for online footy live just to hear what cunts like waddle come out with when we score...He,s such a cunt...said Tevez 3rd goal was a simple goal...what a turd of a man. I dont know why I do it though as it winds me up...but I still do.

Masochist.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Florida Blue » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:04 pm

Slim wrote:Last night when the filth subbed off Carrick and Park for Valencia and Berbatov the ESPN commentator(american, god knows who) said that the defensive substitutions were an obvious move as they tried to hold onto their lead.

Two central midfielders for a winger and a striker...not the most defensive move I have seen.(and you have to laugh that those subs probably cost them the game, think Bacon will get up in the post match and say "well, I fucked up there"?)

Slim, I gotta disagree with you. Have you seen Berbaflop finish? He clearly is not an offensive upgrade over any Scum central midfielder ;)
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Slim » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:06 pm

Florida Blue wrote:
Slim wrote:Last night when the filth subbed off Carrick and Park for Valencia and Berbatov the ESPN commentator(american, god knows who) said that the defensive substitutions were an obvious move as they tried to hold onto their lead.

Slim, I gotta disagree with you. Have you seen Berbaflop finish? He clearly is not an offensive upgrade over any Scum central midfielder ;)

A little OT but, fun game, add up Floppie and Hop-along's goal tally this season, compare it to the player they said wasn't good enough to sign.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:08 pm

I think that’s a really good series of points.
It might be argued that there is a genuine difference of opinion amongst posters on here about their attitude to the media coverage of City.
There are those who seem to think that our treatment is on a par with other Premier League clubs and those who think we are singled out for special bias.
I may be deluded but I am firmly with the latter camp, I think there is an agenda by TV and several newspapers. Trouble is I’m not sure what it is. There is an obvious link between Sky and the traditional top four in terms of joint worldwide marketing so it is perhaps to be expected that they should resist change.
But like the OP I wonder why should ESPN now start to employ anti City pundits like Craig Burley. The Sun is part of the Murdoch stable but why is the Mirror Group (including the MEN) kicking off against us and how do you explain BBC’s Alan Green’s absurd bias, Channel 5 using Dean Sturridge and Collymore plus the daily drivel churned out by Talksport? Do they consistently attack other clubs in the same way? Or is it just paranoia on my part?
Here’s my evidence for the prosecution, a short compilation of punditry in the ESPN coverage. As a self-fulfilling prophecy alone it is memorable but It is also a curious blend of genuine analysis, insight, drivel, bias and prejudice. It also verges on the slanderous and I sincerely hope that Clark Carlisle takes time off from Countdown and turns out for Burnley against us on Saturday. He talks a good game and is certainly doing his best for a retrospective FA ban for Tevez on Saturday!
[youtube]Og9Tcb5QG7U[/youtube]
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby dazby » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:52 pm

johnny crossan wrote:

I think that’s a really good series of points.
It might be argued that there is a genuine difference of opinion amongst posters on here about their attitude to the media coverage of City.
There are those who seem to think that our treatment is on a par with other Premier League clubs and those who think we are singled out for special bias.
I may be deluded but I am firmly with the latter camp, I think there is an agenda by TV and several newspapers. Trouble is I’m not sure what it is. There is an obvious link between Sky and the traditional top four in terms of joint worldwide marketing so it is perhaps to be expected that they should resist change.
But like the OP I wonder why should ESPN now start to employ anti City pundits like Craig Burley. The Sun is part of the Murdoch stable but why is the Mirror Group (including the MEN) kicking off against us and how do you explain BBC’s Alan Green’s absurd bias, Channel 5 using Dean Sturridge and Collymore plus the daily drivel churned out by Talksport? Do they consistently attack other clubs in the same way? Or is it just paranoia on my part?
Here’s my evidence for the prosecution, a short compilation of punditry in the ESPN coverage. As a self-fulfilling prophecy alone it is memorable but It is also a curious blend of genuine analysis, insight, drivel, bias and prejudice. It also verges on the slanderous and I sincerely hope that Clark Carlisle takes time off from Countdown and turns out for Burnley against us on Saturday. He talks a good game and is certainly doing his best for a retrospective FA ban for Tevez on Saturday!
[youtube]Og9Tcb5QG7U[/youtube]

The agenda is ratings. If they can concentrate the su##ort of teams to just a few, they can increase ratings. The big 4 have the biggest following. The more successful they are the more fans they have the more watch their games. City denying Scouse a Euro#ean s#ot means fewer viewers. Less money. It's that sim#le.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Return to The Maine Football forum