3-0 yes but we were crap.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: 3-0 yes but we were crap.

Postby Beeks » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:11 pm

Original Dub wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
colonel_muck wrote:there are a lot of fans who are 'results' people. we got the win, job done.

THAT'S THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF THE GAME!?!?!?!

It sure as shit is NOT.

That is NOT why I follow football.

If that's all it is to you, text MCFC to 51034 and you'll get text updates, along with a final score. Job done.

The reason football generates so much income is because it is a fantastic source of entertainment.

And the teams and players that people drool over are the freeflowing, skillfull ones.

It is called the beautiful game, not the beautiful result.

Absolute total bollocks

Football as in any other competitive sport is about winning...when you have that firmly in place it is about accumulating silverware

I don't know about you but when City chose me 30 odd years ago I wasn't thinking we were not going to win shit in that entire time

If I would have known that when I was sticking my transfers into my panini album perhaps I wouldn't have bothered
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Burt » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:46 pm

btajim wrote:
Burt wrote:
mr_nool wrote:I think it's a fair assumption that someone other than Mancini was the one pulling the string in the Johnson deal. Mancini was new in the country and I don't think he had scouted the English second division very thoroughly before moving here. Thus, a good word/a strong recommendation from someone like Marwood, paired with what Mancini himself saw in the cup game was probably all it took to convince him to nod his head. That doesn't make him a nodding dog, though.

Edit: Late ...

I'm not quite with your reasoning on this mate. Bobby would ave been privvy to loadsa potential players to sign and he duly gave his approval to signing Jinky cos he saw a decent player. Are you implying that if Bobby didn't want to sign him then we would ave anyway? If so IMO you underestimate his authority and integrity. I think that he would just walk if someone like Marwood was given authority to sign players over his head and without his say so.

Not so. A Technical Director is a very established system in Italy and Mancini won't even think about having shared responsbility for signings. Hughes rightly didn't want Marwood coming in above him - so he and his Nike Pal Cook got together and forced him out before replacing him with someone who does what he's told.

I just want a Manager who is in control of what he does and answers to nobody. Perhaps take a look at the examples in this Country where is has worked...

OK Jim, then let's break down what you say:-

Marwood is City's Technical Director is he? What is his "Official" title at the club?

This is England NOT Italy.

Please give evidence of Bobby not even thinking about having shared responsibility for signings.

Your final sentance is pure conjecture with no factual substance whatsoever and indicates that Bobby is a puppet for Marwood and Cook, therefore not giving any credit or authority to our Chairman who is the main man running the show for the Sheiky fella.

All of the above does not stand up at all and it surprises me that you (a man that has worked in the cut & thrust world down in the smoke) could possibly say what you have said.

Now, where's that goddam ceeeeegar to accompany the last glass o this nice white wine...............mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:59 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
walmai wrote:3-0 and you're having a pop.

Crap? I shit it.

I know this makes us look like spoiled kids in front of supporters of most other clubs.

Not really mate, it shows that there is still a Hughes rift going on. That much resentment cannot be ironed out overnight.

sorry but I don't really understand. What has reacting negatively to a win has got to do with Hughes? Or am I missing something?

Sorry Antti, don't you read board members comments? That wasn't a statement with regard to this thread, but the board in general. If you've missed that, then why do you feel the need to defend Mancio against Leslie?

I'll leave you to deliberate mate ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Original Dub » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:26 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
colonel_muck wrote:there are a lot of fans who are 'results' people. we got the win, job done.

THAT'S THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF THE GAME!?!?!?!

It sure as shit is NOT.

That is NOT why I follow football.

If that's all it is to you, text MCFC to 51034 and you'll get text updates, along with a final score. Job done.

The reason football generates so much income is because it is a fantastic source of entertainment.

And the teams and players that people drool over are the freeflowing, skillfull ones.

Absolute total bollocks

Football as in any other competitive sport is about winning...when you have that firmly in place it is about accumulating silverware

I don't know about you but when City chose me 30 odd years ago I wasn't thinking we were not going to win shit in that entire time

If I would have known that when I was sticking my transfers into my panini album perhaps I wouldn't have bothered

Maybe like art - you want the one that is worth the most and I want the one Ijust love to watch for hours.

I'll do the decent thing and not tell your interpretation of the beautiful game is "total bollocks"

But you are a cunt :)
Original Dub

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:26 am

Patrick wrote:I have to agree that crossan is a cunt but that is my view of his " Christian" hypocrasy more than anything else

unfortunately I have to agree with the cunt that actually we don't play football as well as scum arse or Chelsea and don't really look like a top 4 side

truth is I wish we were doing what the spuds are doing - tevez aside we are mid table at best

OUCH!

at least you sound honest Patrick, rather than disingenious, like a lot of other posters in this thread.

i am going to have a piece of toast with butter on it.. and have a think..

but reading this tripe im left with a sense that most of you are complete and utter sad dickheads.

sorry if that offends.. but you know who you are...
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby crossan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:11 am

Bollocks another negative post of mine that everyone ignored with hardly any reaction............I really must try harder....;-)
I am City til I die,
I am City til I die,
I know I am,I'm sure I am,
I am City til I die.
crossan

Supporter of: Manchester City.
My favourite player is: Johnny Crossan.

Postby CityFanFromRome » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:57 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Heres a quote from Pep Guardiola..and he is bang on the money as its what fans want more than anything.

"We live in a world where everything is spiralling in cost and many people need to make a big sacrifice in order to go and watch a game of football.
"So for me it all makes sense, the effort, the work, the planning, the concentration and the discipline, if you do it for the people.
"The manner in which we play is a demonstration of the respect we have for the people who pay for a ticket or pay money to watch matches on television."

"The driving force behind Guardiola's style of play is the desire to entertain the fans.

We do this then maybe we wont see the fans fucking off with 15 minites to play.

They are Barcelona, Carl. They have a sense of pleasing the eye ingrained into them since they step the first time into the academy, and it has worked like that for generations now, they even play the exact same formation of the senior squad in the youth teams so that the players learn what they have to do and when they make the grade to the senior team they will already know what their duty is on the pitch, you can't seriously expect us to do the same when we are still a work in progress. When we will be established as a top team, then it will be time to search for pleasing football.

Original Dub wrote:The reason football generates so much income is because it is a fantastic source of entertainment.

While this is true, I'm sure Arsenal fans are getting tired of playing the beautiful game and winning fuck all. I would love to see us play like they do, or like Barca does, and win, but the reality is that we probably wouldn't be able to do that just yet. The only team in the world which always (or almost always) plays great football and manages to couple it with results and winning trophies is Barcelona, Mourinho's Inter doesn't play spectacular football, nor do the rags or Chelsea, Real Madrid does at times but doesn't win trophies regularly these days, and I could keep going.

The best football I've seen, apart for Barcelona, in the recent seasons has been played by Arsenal and Spalletti's Roma, but both weren't more than runner ups (apart for a couple Italian cups for Roma, but they count very little here in Italy, not like the FA Cup in England), because they lacked the personnel to always sustain that kind of football, so they ended losing key points against shit teams, or crucial fixtures in the cups.
CityFanFromRome

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby branny » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:30 am

Surely at this stage of the season and with what's at stake it is about results. I'd rather play crap and get 3 points than be outstanding and get nowt. We struggled because they played 5 across the middle and in NDJ and Vieira we are lacking in pace and creativity. SWP was off form again, Ade was coming back after a month off which left it down to AJ and Tevez. Bellers did his usual shift but in the end job done thanks to a great hat trick from our star man. Knowing about him is one thing. Stopping him is something else. With him in the team we've got a chance against anybody.......except Everton.
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby Original Dub » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:02 am

CityFanFromRome wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Heres a quote from Pep Guardiola..and he is bang on the money as its what fans want more than anything.

"We live in a world where everything is spiralling in cost and many people need to make a big sacrifice in order to go and watch a game of football.
"So for me it all makes sense, the effort, the work, the planning, the concentration and the discipline, if you do it for the people.
"The manner in which we play is a demonstration of the respect we have for the people who pay for a ticket or pay money to watch matches on television."

"The driving force behind Guardiola's style of play is the desire to entertain the fans.

We do this then maybe we wont see the fans fucking off with 15 minites to play.

They are Barcelona, Carl. They have a sense of pleasing the eye ingrained into them since they step the first time into the academy, and it has worked like that for generations now, they even play the exact same formation of the senior squad in the youth teams so that the players learn what they have to do and when they make the grade to the senior team they will already know what their duty is on the pitch, you can't seriously expect us to do the same when we are still a work in progress. When we will be established as a top team, then it will be time to search for pleasing football.

Original Dub wrote:The reason football generates so much income is because it is a fantastic source of entertainment.

While this is true, I'm sure Arsenal fans are getting tired of playing the beautiful game and winning fuck all. I would love to see us play like they do, or like Barca does, and win, but the reality is that we probably wouldn't be able to do that just yet. The only team in the world which always (or almost always) plays great football and manages to couple it with results and winning trophies is Barcelona, Mourinho's Inter doesn't play spectacular football, nor do the rags or Chelsea, Real Madrid does at times but doesn't win trophies regularly these days, and I could keep going.

The best football I've seen, apart for Barcelona, in the recent seasons has been played by Arsenal and Spalletti's Roma, but both weren't more than runner ups (apart for a couple Italian cups for Roma, but they count very little here in Italy, not like the FA Cup in England), because they lacked the personnel to always sustain that kind of football, so they ended losing key points against shit teams, or crucial fixtures in the cups.

Actually, domestically, in the last ten years Barca have won the league 3 times and the Spanish cup once.

Arsenal have won the league twice and the FA cup 3 times.

Sure, in recent times Barca have managed to play the beautiful game successfully in Europe by winning the Champions League twice and that is also a credit to the calibur of player they signed/produced. Don't forget that one of those finals was against Arsenal so it has to be said that they too have learned how to play the beautiful game successfully in Europe to a certain degree of late.

Your point that more "efficient" teams like Chelsea, Inter, United (kind of) etc. seem to have more success is certainly valid, but I believe that the beautiful game will prevail in the end if you've the philosophy and money to back that philosophy. Arsenal could win the league and the champions league this year. Its easier to say they won't of course, but they could well do - there is 7 or 8 games left and they are still in the running for both - as are Barca.

All that said, you brought the debate into a different area because where it was about "style versus results", you're saying you're more likely to get success with less style and more efficiency...

We have a unique opportunity to build a Barca/Arsenal very quickly and generate success from such a team. However I realise that this can't be done without being able to draw the very best players and that will only happen with Champs League qualification.

So to summarise, I'll take the way we're playing now, be it luck, efficiency, negative, counter attacking.... whatever, once it gets us into that 4th spot. But should we get that fourth spot, I would love nothing more than to try to emulate Barca/Arsenal for style.

I was told I was talking bollox earlier because I said football generates money and fans because it is a fantastic source of entertainment. It doesn't mean I'm right, but IMO it is the beautiful game and should be played that way where at all possible... maybe for City, that's not right now, but I sure as shit hope it will be as soon as possible.
Original Dub

Postby CityFanFromRome » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:03 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Actually, domestically, in the last ten years Barca have won the league 3 times and the Spanish cup once.

Arsenal have won the league twice and the FA cup 3 times.

Sure, in recent times Barca have managed to play the beautiful game successfully in Europe by winning the Champions League twice and that is also a credit to the calibur of player they signed/produced. Don't forget that one of those finals was against Arsenal so it has to be said that they too have learned how to play the beautiful game successfully in Europe to a certain degree of late.

Your point that more "efficient" teams like Chelsea, Inter, U***d (kind of) etc. seem to have more success is certainly valid, but I believe that the beautiful game will prevail in the end if you've the philosophy and money to back that philosophy. Arsenal could win the league and the champions league this year. Its easier to say they won't of course, but they could well do - there is 7 or 8 games left and they are still in the running for both - as are Barca.

All that said, you brought the debate into a different area because where it was about "style versus results", you're saying you're more likely to get success with less style and more efficiency...

We have a unique opportunity to build a Barca/Arsenal very quickly and generate success from such a team. However I realise that this can't be done without being able to draw the very best players and that will only happen with Champs League qualification.

So to summarise, I'll take the way we're playing now, be it luck, efficiency, negative, counter attacking.... whatever, once it gets us into that 4th spot. But should we get that fourth spot, I would love nothing more than to try to emulate Barca/Arsenal for style.

I was told I was talking bollox earlier because I said football generates money and fans because it is a fantastic source of entertainment. It doesn't mean I'm right, but IMO it is the beautiful game and should be played that way where at all possible... maybe for City, that's not right now, but I sure as shit hope it will be as soon as possible.

Yeah I should have been more clear and specified I meant in the last few seasons Arsenal has won very little while Barca has won much more. And yes, one of the CL Barca won was against Arsenal, just like the Gunners are still in the mix for both CL and league title but this ties in with my point that unless you have a whole bunch of superstars, style can only bring you so far, as I don't think they will win either. Of course, if they win one of those then they contradict my point :D

I agree that in the end the beautiful game should prevail, in our case at least as we have the means to build a squad which will be able to sustain it with results. BUT, we don't have such a squad right now, which is why I think for the time being we should aim for the more efficient kind of football.

Also, I don't think you can have a real "style vs. results" debate because it will never be only one of them which prevails. I mean, take you for example, you want us to play with style, but would you still want it if we started playing that way and lost every game? Because if you try playing with style, it can bring great results but, especially at first, it can also go very wrong. On the other side, would I be happy if we were to play "1-0 wins" football for more than half a season, or one at the most? No, because eventually it will get boring. But at this moment, since we are still a work in progress and CL qualification is vital for our progress, we need to play that kind of football and try to get as much points as we can, no matter how.

In the end, I feel like we are saying the same thing. Both of us don't want to see this kind of football for a long time, but it is probably necessary for the time being.

Just another comment. I don't know how well we will be able to "emulate" Arsenal/Barcelona. Not many managers have that view of football, because for them it's a job, and so for them results are the main thing to look for. Some, like Wenger, Guardiola, Leonardo at Milan, Spalletti when he was at Roma, think that the best way to win is to attack and use the quality players they have to implement a pleasing style of quick passes on the deck, but not many will do that, take Mourinho, Ancelotti, Benitez for example. They all won titles but neither of them did it with the style we are talking about. Mancini, I think, falls into a middle between these extremes.
CityFanFromRome

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby walmai » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:09 pm

walmai wrote:3-0 and you're having a pop.

Crap? I shit it.

I know this makes us look like spoiled kids in front of supporters of most other clubs.

Well, i wouldn't quite say that, because there are different types of 3-0 win, of course.

And, given that I support a team once boo-ed (by part of the crowd) off the pitch after a victory, I'm not digging you all out for it.

I would probably burst into tears of relief simply if we won our next game. If we win again and do it 3-0 this season, I may do something I regret.
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:23 pm

6 pages is too much for me to read to catch up but I though I would add a comment or two after I watched the Wigan game down south with 1 or 2 Spurs/United and Arsenal fans.
The 3 things they focussed on were:
1) We are not a team.
2) There is no energy apart from one or two players
3) There is very limited attacking threat the way we set up to play

One described us as predictable and boring with the exception of Tevez. In the Wigan match in particular the concensus was that we wouldn't have scored without the guy getting sent off or at best it would have been a late winner but that could just as easily have been for Wigan if we had panicked trying to score.Yes we have good players but just not working together as a team and of course Toure got some slagging from the Arse fan.
The energy bit was really evident. The surprise to them seemed to be how poor we were at closing the opposition down and bearing in mind we weren't attacking with many players it's surprising that also dont seem to stop the oppos playing.
It's also surprising that not only are our midfield not really an attacking threat but neither are our full backs.

All quite valid comments I thought. I though against Wigan we were average and bit lucky but I couldnt give a toss. I said I would take a scrappy 1 nil win as only the 3 points matters but I am not blind.We will not get 4th playing like that.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:28 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:6 pages is too much for me to read to catch up but I though I would add a comment or two after I watched the Wigan game down south with 1 or 2 Spurs/U***d and Arsenal fans.
1) We are not a team.

One described us as predictable and boring with the exception of Tevez. In the Wigan match in particular the concensus was that we wouldn't have scored without the guy getting sent off or at best it would have been a late winner but that could just as easily have been for Wigan if we had panicked trying to score.Yes we have good players but just not working together as a team and of course Toure got some slagging from the Arse fan.
The energy bit was really evident. The surprise to them seemed to be how poor we were at closing the opposition down and bearing in mind we weren't attacking with many players it's surprising that also dont seem to stop the oppos playing.
It's also surprising that not only are our midfield not really an attacking threat but neither are our full backs.

All quite valid comments I thought. I though against Wigan we were average and bit lucky but I couldnt give a toss. I said I would take a scrappy 1 nil win as only the 3 points matters but I am not blind.We will not get 4th playing like that.

It,s all down to the non creative midfield.......once the ball goes there it,s all slow fucking motion..thats the way Mancini has got us paying right now.
Prior to his appointment we were more creative than not in Midfield and we had our moments of electric fast flowing attacking football. Now we just rely on the wings.

Not good enough imo.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:41 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:6 pages is too much for me to read to catch up but I though I would add a comment or two after I watched the Wigan game down south with 1 or 2 Spurs/U***d and Arsenal fans.
1) We are not a team.

It,s all down to the non creative midfield.......once the ball goes there it,s all slow fucking motion..thats the way Mancini has got us paying right now.
Prior to his appointment we were more creative than not in Midfield and we had our moments of electric fast flowing attacking football. Now we just rely on the wings.

Not good enough imo.

im taking the lethargy as monday night syndrome and simply a one off. i hope i am right.

But the real issue is as Carl has it here and as a lot of us on here have been saying for a while since we have got the hang of what Bobby is doing. The set up especially for home games is way too negative with Nige sat there going nowhere. Add to that the loss of any creative midfield, which as we probably all know is down to the loss of Stevie.
I think that there might be an argument to say that Barry is better without DeJong getting in his way. But iether way there is a big hole between the mids and the attackers.. and the scary bit is that we dont seem to have anyone who is capable of filling it.
Personally i would just insist on Ireland playing, whatever his form is, and sit him bang slap in the middle and leave him on the pitch to work out of his system whatever it is that is not working. If it needed someone else to nurse him a bit so be it, but anything is better than leaving it as it is now.

Doug, you have mentioned a few times that Ireland has been playing well enough in training.. have you got any ideas why this is not tranferring to actual games?
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum