Birmingham wait on Hart deal

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Birmingham wait on Hart deal

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:04 pm

Birmingham manager Alex McLeish would like to extend goalkeeper Joe Hart's stay at the club, but will have to wait until the end of the season to tie up any deal.

Hart agreed a season-long switch to St Andrews from Manchester City during the summer and has largely been in outstanding form for McLeish's side.

The 22-year-old has formed the foundations of a solid Birmingham rearguard that enjoyed a 12-match unbeaten run, a sequence that propelled the newly-promoted team into the higher reaches of the Premier League.

The former Shrewsbury man was looking for first team football after former City boss Mark Hughes brought in Shay Given from Newcastle in January 2009.

That meant a move to the Midlands club would give Hart the chance for regular top flight football, and aside from deputy Maik Taylor's three appearances, Hart has been McLeish's first choice.

McLeish admitted he is keen to keep the youngster under his stewardship for next season, although he has been told he will have to wait before putting pen-to-paper once again.

The Scotsman said: "City are not going to make any decisions regarding Joe until the summer. They have confirmed that to us now.

"We would like to sign Joe for another season. The keeping role is massively important and that's why I'd like to get City's nod of approval.

"That would help us in terms of us knowing what we are doing but there will be no news until the summer."

Hart has kept 11 clean sheets throughout the campaign, with his performances expected to lead to a place in Fabio Capello's England squad for the World Cup finals in South Africa.

McLeish firmly believes his custodian is worthy of a place in the 23-man squad for the showpiece event in June, having helped his side gather a healthy points total that has guaranteed Premier League survival.

He added: "A top-class keeper can save you 10-12 points every season and Joe has certainly done that already.

"I believe he has done well enough to go to the World Cup but it is down to Fabio Capello. I am not picking his team."

skysports.com

I like that we have told them no deal will be done untill the summer. I wouldn't mind having Joe back with us next season i think the lad has played brilliantly for Brum this season, his game has really improved.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Birmingham wait on Hart deal

Postby Slim » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:07 pm

Every time Shay kicks the ball I want Joe back a little more.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dazzacity » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:15 pm

WE defo need to get Joe back,but only if he can really start pushin for a place in the startin eleven. It would be great to have Shay and Joe switchin for a startin place, keepin eachother on their toes. I wouldnt want to see Joey comin back and hardly getting a run out. It wont do him any good at all..But we wont sell him. no way.

I just hope Joe doesnt get too settled at Brum and wants to stay!! I cant see it.
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Crossie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:05 pm

Another season with them makes sense. Next season I reckon Hart will come on a par with Given, season after, let Hart have the number one spot, as long as he continues at this rate of improvement
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby dazby » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:18 pm

Joe Hart has ke#t 11 #remiershi# clean sheets. Shay has ke#t 10.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Alex Sapphire » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:22 pm

dazby wrote:Joe Hart has ke#t 11 #remiershi# clean sheets. Shay has ke#t 10.

looks like the bugger who stole your x has now got your p
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby ian494 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:25 pm

Alex Sapphire wrote:
dazby wrote:Joe Hart has ke#t 11 #remiershi# clean sheets. Shay has ke#t 10.

looks like the bugger who stole your x has now got your p

He must be using Windows 7 as he doesnt have xp anymore......

I'll get me coat.
ian494
Darius Vassell's Composure

Postby Blueboylewis » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:09 pm

Makes sense completely with Hart staying on loan for another season. Thats if he does though. Shay is a top quality keeper and Joe wont start many games with Shay here still. Joe will come back a much better keeper if he goes out on loan again next season. All this experience that he is gaining. It can only be good for him.
Blueboylewis
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby ross.mcfc » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:50 am

Win win for everyone involved. I'm sure we will see sense and send him back to Brum next year.

If he keeps developing at this rate and isnt exposed to a England World cup appearance we may have a brillant keeper on our hands for years to come.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Vhero » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:38 am

Slim wrote:Every time Shay kicks the ball I want Joe back a little more.

This.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Fish111 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:58 am

I'd have Hart back in our starting line up for next season. His form has been better than Shays. Shay has not been his exemplary self this season which indicates to me he is in a comfort zone. He needs his place taken away by a quality keeper which is not going to happen if we let Hart to Birmingham again. Plus if we let Hart go to Brum for another year then he might grow to love the place and ask for a move.
Fish111

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby john@staustell » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:09 am

Fish111 wrote:I'd have Hart back in our starting line up for next season. His form has been better than Shays. Shay has not been his exemplary self this season which indicates to me he is in a comfort zone. He needs his place taken away by a quality keeper which is not going to happen if we let Hart to Birmingham again. Plus if we let Hart go to Brum for another year then he might grow to love the place and ask for a move.

Hart is on good form but when it´s not your club, you tend to see the spectacular and not the whole performances. No way will he depose Shay yet and another season at Brum is the best bet (with a recall clause).

As far Dazby´s clean sheet statistic, surely Brum are the most defensively minded and solid team of all? Hardly a yardstick to compare keepers.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Fish111 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:13 am

We knew Hart was quality before we sent him on loan and his form has been outstanding this season, you don't need to see him week in week out to know that. Whereas Shays form has dipped, and that's after seeing him week in week out so i think i can see the whole picture. Shays position is not under threat by anyone so having Hart back will give Shay the kick up the backside he needs imo. If we were to send Hart back out on loan then i'd want him at another club, i don't want him getting too comfortable at one particular place.
Fish111

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby bluechester » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:23 pm

Crossie wrote:Another season with them makes sense. Next season I reckon Hart will come on a par with Given, season after, let Hart have the number one spot, as long as he continues at this rate of improvement

this for me, given is still a top keeper, one more year for hart at anouther club & he will be ready for us, giving him more experience.
bluechester
Superman's Underpants

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:29 am

Blueboylewis wrote:Makes sense completely with Hart staying on loan for another season. Thats if he does though. Shay is a top quality keeper and Joe wont start many games with Shay here still. Joe will come back a much better keeper if he goes out on loan again next season. All this experience that he is gaining. It can only be good for him.

Totally agree Lewis. There's no way he's going to get in ahead of Shay, so the best thing for him and in the long term us, is to send him out to Brum again for next season.
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Return to The Maine Football forum