The Kippax

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The Kippax

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:43 pm

crossan wrote:Just standing on the terracing ,half way up just on the half way line................memories,great memories.

Is that it?
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby glossopblue » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:53 pm

getting in at ten past kick off and missing a goal!!! standing near the top of the kippax with loads of glossop blue passing the spliffs around!!!! sitting down when we wanted swales out!! happy days!!!!
glossopblue
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Feed The Goat » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:09 am

Getting pins and needles from sitting on the barriers cos i was to little to see otherwise. Standing next to curly watts every week.

Bein a kid safe in the knowledge that we would one day be good. Oh well
Mcf.net best app in the land and all the world
Feed The Goat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby shawzy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:01 am

One of my 1st Derby games.Loved the Kippax,Unbeatable atmosphere.

shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Postby walmai » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:17 am

Always a treat to get onto that stand, even if I was only a neutral.

The noise as the teams came out for that quarterfinal against Liverpool was a thing to behold.

Only went there once when at the height of the bananas craze. Mental times. I know it wasn't just confined to City, but the coming together of the wit, the fashions and a few other things in mid/late 80's was what set English football apart from the rest of the world.

I only still go now in memory of those days. And the grounds are nothing like what they were 25 years ago.
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Postby john@staustell » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:21 am

Feed The Goat wrote:Getting pins and needles from sitting on the barriers cos i was to little to see otherwise. Standing next to curly watts every week.

Bein a kid safe in the knowledge that we would one day be good. Oh well

When the new Kippax opened he was sat just in front of us, upper tier, dead centre about 6 rows from the back.

Well, for the first season, then he pissed off into an exec box.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby stinky pete » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:52 am

16year old with 1st weeks wages gettin season ticket book for£45? guessin what number above turnstyle?
stinky pete
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: mcfc
My favourite player is: v kompany

Postby King Kev » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:22 pm

Just noticed this pic on the OS.

How's this for nostalgia!

King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Nick » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:34 pm

Bastards! I have no memories of the ''real'' kippax.

Its mad how footballs evolved; and i think that football is similar to what it used to be here in some countries, like Eastern Europe.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby blootoof » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:02 pm

Top pic. I wonder if the old bill plucked straws to see who had to police the segregation on matchday. I've seen all sorts of stuff chucked across there.
blootoof
De Jong's Tackle

Postby john68 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:09 pm

1965...the 1st time we grouped at the bottom, near the halfway line and chanted CITY. versus Crystal Palace on Oct 16th.

Those pitched battles with the rags fans on derby day during the 60s. With no segregation, it was a bloody war zone.

Running round the back of the Kippax to find the last hut just closing and buying the last 2 Kippax pies ever sold on the very last day of the old Kippax...My claim to City fame...I ATE THE LAST KIPPAX PIE!!!!!...Feel very proud of that.

Walking out of the old Kippax with my youngest daughter for the very last time knowing that I would never be able to stand there again. Something died that day....and yes I still miss it.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:44 pm

Great pic that KK, you just don't get that anymore do you. That wasn't actually the Kippax though, or even Maine Road. I'm pretty sure that's a pic from the FA Cup semi against Ipswich played at Villa's ground.

On that note, Ipswich used to be a top side in those days and I remember going down there and seeing the biggest chicken fence in the world, just to stop people throwing things at each other. Ohhhhh, those were the days my friend......
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby King Kev » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:06 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Great pic that KK, you just don't get that anymore do you. That wasn't actually the Kippax though, or even Maine Road. I'm pretty sure that's a pic from the FA Cup semi against Ipswich played at Villa's ground.
You know what mate, I think you are right! When I saw the picture I just immediately assumed it was the to corner of the Kippax where all the nutters used to stand.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:09 pm

King Kev wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Great pic that KK, you just don't get that anymore do you. That wasn't actually the Kippax though, or even Maine Road. I'm pretty sure that's a pic from the FA Cup semi against Ipswich played at Villa's ground.
You know what mate, I think you are right! When I saw the picture I just immediately assumed it was the to corner of the Kippax where all the nutters used to stand.

I can smell them Brum cops from a mile off ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby 9secondlegend » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:48 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
King Kev wrote:

think your right beefy because the fence was blue wasnt it?
9secondlegend
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:15 pm

9secondlegend wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
King Kev wrote:

think your right beefy because the fence was blue wasnt it?

Not sure mate, I wasn't there, only 9 at the time. My old man's one of those crowd and he took great enjoyment when telling me all about it. Went into extra-time and one of my true football heroes Paul Power scored the winner. I remember it as if I was there, but alas, I was too young.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:25 pm

Just had a look for highlights and this is the last time we won a semi-final; it's all relevant.

[youtube]zv5uufdRJJo[/youtube]

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby dazlebluefrog » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:34 pm

On that note, Ipswich used to be a top side in those days and I remember going down there and seeing the biggest chicken fence in the world, just to stop people throwing things at each other. Ohhhhh, those were the days my friend......

your right mate the holt end what a match ,paul's free-kick sending us to heaven

as for the old kippax ,i remember getting there about 1.30pm so we could get to the top right corner just above the tunnel next to the away fans ,we used to sign to other blues till the away crowd got in
getting a hot dog or hamburger before the match
blokes shouting "programe 30p get your programe 30p"(or what ever the price was )
all the back alley's danger zone for any away fans that didn't know the way
dazlebluefrog
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Grenoble fc38

Postby gillie » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:20 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Just had a look for highlights and this is the last time we won a semi-final; it's all relevant.

[youtube]zv5uufdRJJo[/youtube]

I was in the Holte end that day i will never forget it.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:50 pm

Going in the pub in Rusholme before a match.
Getting steak pudding & chips from the chippy half way down Claremont Road (seem to remember they had a petition about something - to save their lease? - when it was announced City were leaving Maine Road.)
The little souvenir shop on the corner with the upstairs part that had stuff on sale.
Helen's bell from the other side of the pitch.
Tokens in the programmes.
And in the really old days, the half-time scores going up on the scoreboard, and the van outside the ground selling evening papers as you came out.
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum