Looks Like We've Already Qualified For Europe

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Looks Like We've Already Qualified For Europe

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:59 pm

Because United won the League Cup, and because Portsmouth won't have a UEFA licence, the top 6 will all have a European berth plus the 7th place team in lieu of the FA Cup winner. So even if Pool, Spurs, Villa all finish ahead of us surely Everton can't overtake us now, we're seven points in front with a game in hand.

Anybody disagree?
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Re: Looks Like We've Already Qualified For Europe

Postby Whassat » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:06 pm

Putting it that way we are sure to miss out on Europa alltogether - City and all that. :)
Whassat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City, AIK
My favourite player is: The magician

Postby s1ty m » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:04 pm

villa get a spot for ru in lc. if spurs lose to chelsea in fa cup, spurs get a spot. if spurs then finish 4th, 6th get it as 5th is already europa. so yeah, i think this breaks down into us in europe. er, i think.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:10 pm

s1ty m wrote:villa get a spot for ru in lc. if spurs lose to chelsea in fa cup, spurs get a spot. if spurs then finish 4th, 6th get it as 5th is already europa. so yeah, i think this breaks down into us in europe. er, i think.

No, runner up in league cup has never got a place. It always goes to the league, unless it has changed for this season?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby ronk » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:32 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
s1ty m wrote:villa get a spot for ru in lc. if spurs lose to chelsea in fa cup, spurs get a spot. if spurs then finish 4th, 6th get it as 5th is already europa. so yeah, i think this breaks down into us in europe. er, i think.

No, runner up in league cup has never got a place. It always goes to the league, unless it has changed for this season?

Europa places for winner LC and runner-up FA Cup, IIRC.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby walmai » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:01 pm

You were, as you say, assured of some kind of Euro football when Man U beat Villa in the League Cup.
What a warm feeling you must all have felt.
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Postby carolina-blue » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:13 pm

walmai wrote:You were, as you say, assured of some kind of Euro football when Man U beat Villa in the League Cup.

So are you unless Cardiff get promoted :)
carolina-blue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby shortagain » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:35 pm

We need to be in Champions League not the tin pot europa league which starts in August & needs about 20 games to win it. It would interfere with our title aspirations, plus top players are not interested in europa league, only the main comp.
shortagain
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Pablo Zabaleta

Postby ashton287 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:45 pm

I'd like to win the Europa once before we start winning the CL every year anyway
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: De jong

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:22 pm

walmai wrote:You were, as you say, assured of some kind of Euro football when Man U beat Villa in the League Cup.

Assured is a little strong, apart from the Everton threat there is also the possibility that Fulham might secure a place as winners of this season's Europa Cup. A maximum of 7 teams are allowed for any country so in those circumstances only 6th place would qualify.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby psut1 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:36 pm

shortagain wrote:We need to be in Champions League not the tin pot europa league which starts in August & needs about 20 games to win it. It would interfere with our title aspirations, plus top players are not interested in europa league, only the main comp.

If we get 4th our champs league will start in july in the 3rd qualifying round against some decent (ish) teams and will take 17 games to win it
"I scored after 19 minutes a "bluemoon" goal - David White picked it up, he saw me standing alone, he crossed and I hammered it home. The moon had turned gold"
(Niall Quinn the autobiography)
psut1
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:30 am

FA have confirmed
• If the winner of the the FA Cup qualifies for the Champions League, the domestic cup runner-up qualifies for the Europa League.
• Should both the winner and the runner-up of the domestic cup qualify for the Champions League, the domestic cup Europa League place would revert to the League
• If the FA Cup winners have already qualified for the Europa League via the league, the Europa League position reserved for the domestic cup winner would revert to the League.

But what happens if Fulham or Liverpool win the Europa Cup in terms of European qualification for next year- anyone know?
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Alex Sapphire » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:58 am

johnny crossan wrote:Because U***d won the League Cup, and because Portsmouth won't have a UEFA licence, the top 6 will all have a European berth plus the 7th place team in lieu of the FA Cup winner. So even if Pool, Spurs, Villa all finish ahead of us surely Everton can't overtake us now, we're seven points in front with a game in hand.

Anybody disagree?

not sure about that. Current licence regs just require them to post accounts, which they must have been doing.
and winning UEFA/Europa does not qualify for entry into next years comp
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:19 am

Alex Sapphire wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:Because U***d won the League Cup, and because Portsmouth won't have a UEFA licence, the top 6 will all have a European berth plus the 7th place team in lieu of the FA Cup winner. So even if Pool, Spurs, Villa all finish ahead of us surely Everton can't overtake us now, we're seven points in front with a game in hand.

Anybody disagree?

not sure about that. Current licence regs just require them to post accounts, which they must have been doing.

Neither West Ham nor Portsmouth have applied for a licence and it is too late now. The relevant section is 10.6 of the UEFA Licensing Regulations http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/409406.pdf
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john@staustell » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:02 am

Alex Sapphire wrote:

Anybody disagree?

Yes it does Alex, but not at the expense of another of that country´s places. Looked it up on UEFA rules about a month ago last time someone asked the question.

Also there´s something at the back of my mind about this UEFA licence business - someone else didn´t have one in time recently but it was all sorted in the end for them to enter whatever it was. Around last year.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Return to The Maine Football forum