Burnley will be a tough test

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Burnley will be a tough test

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:34 pm

Roberto Mancini believes Burnley will be fired up for this weekend's crucial Lancashire derby against City.

He also admires the way Brian Laws' team try to play good football, despite their perilous position, but hopes the Blues can continue where they left off against Wigan on Monday night where a late Carlos Tevez hat-trick saw off a stubborn Latics side.

"Wigan played very well in the first half and we didn’t perform anywhere near the levels we can, but that can happen from time to time,” he said.

“The most important thing was we were much better after the break, played some very good attacking football and won the match.

“I think Saturday will be a similar game because Burnley are fighting for survival. I watched their last home game and thought they fought hard against Blackburn and played some good stuff. “

The Clarets' early season form at home seems to have deserted them of late, but despite just one win in their last 10 at Turf Moor, Mancini says his team cannot afford to underestimate their Lancastrian opponents.

“They have proved over the course of the season they are not easy to beat on their own ground and I think if we don’t play aggressive, focused football, we could have a problem,” he said.

"They have a number of good players
and I think we have to respect their
team and manager and they will be
desperate to win this match because of
their situation"

One player who won’t be making the trip to Turf Moor is Stephen Ireland, who is still sidelined with injury at present.

“Stephen is still out unfortunately and I think we’ll probably start with the same players we used against Wigan as we don’t have any other injury concerns at this stage.

"We need to start confidently, defend well and take our chances when they come. It will be a full-house and the Burnley fans make a lot of noise and get behind their team, but we are looking forward to it and it should be a good game of football.”

mcfc.co.uk
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Burnley will be a tough test

Postby Moonchesteri » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:49 pm

Mark ( Blue Army ) wrote:I think we’ll probably start with the same players we used against Wigan as we don’t have any other injury concerns at this stage.

So Bellers again on the bench? Well it will be nice to see him running at tired defenders for the last half an hour.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby CityFanFromRome » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:55 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:
Mark ( Blue Army ) wrote:I think we’ll probably start with the same players we used against Wigan as we don’t have any other injury concerns at this stage.

So Bellers again on the bench? Well it will be nice to see him running at tired defenders for the last half an hour.

That also means Vieira starting again, which I guess not many will agree with.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby brite blu sky » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:56 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:

More than likely Barry to start instead of DeJong
and Zabba is banned
so there will be some changes
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:03 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:

So Bellers again on the bench?

I kind of like the idea of bellers coming on at about the 60min mark and running at a tired Burnley defence.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby brite blu sky » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:21 pm

Mark ( Blue Army ) wrote:
Moonchesteri wrote:

So Bellers again on the bench?

I kind of like the idea of bellers coming on at about the 60min mark and running at a tired Burnley defence.

Bellers is a great asset to have for that kind of game plan, also helps him by not having to recover from a full 90 mins
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:35 pm

Mancini continues to be good at saying very little. There has to be at least one change and maybe there will be more.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby brite blu sky » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:39 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Mancini continues to be good at saying very little. There has to be at least one change and maybe there will be more.

MEN was quoting Bobby as saying he was looking to rest DeJong for the next two to prevent suspension.. and that was the reason he rested Barry when he did.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:46 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Mancini continues to be good at saying very little. There has to be at least one change and maybe there will be more.

Would you prefer him to say more?
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Goaters 103 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:15 pm

Another team we should be beating if we are serious about finishing in the top 4.

if we apply ourselves, play properly and keep the ball on the grass we will win; knowing City we will make it difficult for ourselves though.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:53 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:

No I am happy he says very little just like the last 2 managers however hard the reporters try to get them to say things.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:24 pm

Has anyone mentioned the V word?
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby brite blu sky » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:22 pm

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:Has anyone mentioned the V word?

it got mentioned in another thread.. if my memory serves me well it didn't really go down to well ;)

mr Higginbotham says he was nothing special in training.. but it seems he is almost nailed to start as we dont seem to have anyone else. We seem to be really scrapping the barrel these days.. we will likely have to have Ibrahim on the bench anyways just in case.
Last edited by brite blu sky on Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby glossopblue » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:44 pm

the first 20 minutes will be vital, get that out of the way and i can see an easy victory!!
glossopblue
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby john@staustell » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:19 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

No I am happy he says very little just like the last 2 managers however hard the reporters try to get them to say things.

He actually just doesn´t tell the truth to the press, which is fine by me, but they haven´t realised it yet.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Return to The Maine Football forum