Martin O'Neill

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Martin O'Neill

Postby costys99 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:23 am

I have woke up this morning to an email from my rag mate telling me that Martin O'Neill has been approached about city Job (I'm assuming manager not door man)

Has anybody else heard anything as nothing mentioned else where or on here.

or do i just go round n punch his lights out.
costys99
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Re: Martin O'Neill

Postby eastlandsblue » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:27 am

Just a rag being a c*nt. Im convinced and so are many that O'Neill will go to Celtic.
pain i can handle, but pride hurts
eastlandsblue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Spurge » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:32 am

The daily mail are suggesting that Mancini is ready to go to juve if he gets the call - and they appear to have quoted him?? Which adds fuel to the fire.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... entus.html
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby Goaters 103 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:37 am

Ha ha, good one.

If City appoint O'Neill as manager then my arse is a fire engine.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby btajim » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:39 am

*takes reports with a huge pinch of salt*

As much as I respect Martin O'Neill - I wouldn't back his appointment for the size of the job at City.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Chewbacca » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:44 am

Please god no !!! i hate the slimy little tit :(
GGGGGGRRRRRRRRRWWWWWWRRRRRRRAAAAAAARRRRHHHH
Chewbacca
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile

Postby mcfc1632 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:07 am

Weelll - I am less dismissive

1/ If you do think that there is a likelihood that Mancini will not be here next season (I expect he will personally)

2/ and JM is not tied into coming - as his recent prostituting himself in the media might suggest (why would he if we had a deal)

3/ And after JM there are no really 'stand out' candidates - then it is possible that the owners may look for some proven Premiership experience - if you then take it from the top: a) the manager of the scum - enough said, b) Wenger - too old and wedded to the Arse, c) Fat waiter - he has seen his reputation in tatters, d) well who is next???? probably O'Neill who would be seen as keeping a team right up there challenging - even before Randy's money - or Moyes - well you would prefer O'Neill wouldn't you? - Hodgeson is too old and there is nobody else

When you consider the major rumour going around the media last week that O'Neill was leaving Villa - well it makes you think (he has been up baconface's arse for years hoping for that job - so I would be less positive than I was with Hughes who at least was no sycophant of the devil)

It is not what my view is - but I can see it has more credibility than might be first thought about
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:12 am

Chewbacca wrote:Please god no !!! i hate the slimy little tit :(

It's not only me that thinks like that then ;-)

Reports regarding Mancio to Juve were just that. He was asked direct questions which he answered honestly, however at no time did he state that he was off only that maybe one day he may return to Italy. We all know Mancio is respectful, so no real story there.

It's just amazing how media and certain other types try to link 2+2 and end up with 5, just to sell a few columns.

No offense to the OP, but does your mate have inside knowledge of our or Villa's dealings. Personally, I'd just go round and snot him.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby bluej » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:34 am

MON is one of the biggest bottlers in the league - if he doesn't take Villa to the next level (which increasingly looks like the case) then I can't see him managing anyone bigger/ will just end up back at Celtic as others have said.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:37 am

costys99 wrote:I have woke up this morning to an email from my rag mate telling me that Martin O'Neill has been approached about city Job (I'm assuming manager not door man)

Has anybody else heard anything as nothing mentioned else where or on here.

or do i just go round n punch his lights out.

Just go & punch his lights out anyway.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby btajim » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:44 am

mcfc1632 wrote:3/ And after JM there are no really 'stand out' candidates - then it is possible that the owners may look for some proven Premiership experience - if you then take it from the top: a) the manager of the scum - enough said, b) Wenger - too old and wedded to the Arse, c) Fat waiter - he has seen his reputation in tatters, d) well who is next???? probably O'Neill who would be seen as keeping a team right up there challenging - even before Randy's money - or Moyes - well you would prefer O'Neill wouldn't you? - Hodgeson is too old and there is nobody else

I don't know enough about Football Managers around the world to strongly state that there are other candidates alongside Mourinho - but there inevitably will be. If Ancelotti was still at Milan then I'd look at him or Guardiola (sp) at Barca.

There's nothing to suggest that we'd go for an established Premiership Manager. None of Wenger, Benitez or Moyes are likely to want to come here. The latter being a laughable suggestion given his comments about us. I also can't agree with critique about O'Neill as a Manager. I just don't think he'd be the right man to come here. He'd be out of his depth.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Renato_CTID » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:48 am

A passionate Italian manager coming back to Italy after failing his job in Premier League? If you believe so, then you really don't know how Roberto Mancini is, definitively!
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby btajim » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:49 am

Renato_CTID wrote:A passionate Italian manager coming back to Italy after failing his job in Premier League? If you believe so, then you really don't know how Roberto Mancini is, definitively!

So how is he, then?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby mcfc1632 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:26 am

btajim wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:3/ And after JM there are no really 'stand out' candidates - then it is possible that the owners may look for some proven Premiership experience - if you then take it from the top: a) the manager of the scum - enough said, b) Wenger - too old and wedded to the Arse, c) Fat waiter - he has seen his reputation in tatters, d) well who is next???? probably O'Neill who would be seen as keeping a team right up there challenging - even before Randy's money - or Moyes - well you would prefer O'Neill wouldn't you? - Hodgeson is too old and there is nobody else

I don't know enough about Football Managers around the world to strongly state that there are other candidates alongside Mourinho - but there inevitably will be. If Ancelotti was still at Milan then I'd look at him or Guardiola (sp) at Barca.

There's nothing to suggest that we'd go for an established Premiership Manager. None of Wenger, Benitez or Moyes are likely to want to come here. The latter being a laughable suggestion given his comments about us. I also can't agree with critique about O'Neill as a Manager. I just don't think he'd be the right man to come here. He'd be out of his depth.

I certainly did not mean to suggest that we could / would go for O'Neill - or that there are no overseas candidates other JM - who I would not want - just in reply to the OP - it is not a scenario that is totally beyond the imagination in some circumstances
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:35 am

btajim wrote:*takes reports with a huge pinch of salt*

As much as I respect Martin O'Neill - I wouldn't back his appointment for the size of the job at City.

I agree with Jim. I rate O'Neill but honestly does he really sound like someone Sheik and Cook would appoint.

Besides, Mancini is showing signs of figuring Premier League out and I don't see any reason to change managers. Like I said on another topic, Mancini going to Juventus is nothing more tabloid bullshit. He showed such determination coming specifically to England that I don't think he'll be leaving no matter what.

My money's on Hughes going to Celtic anyway.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby btajim » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:39 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
btajim wrote:*takes reports with a huge pinch of salt*

I agree with Jim. I rate O'Neill but honestly does he really sound like someone Sheik and Cook would appoint.

Besides, Mancini is showing signs of figuring Premier League out and I don't see any reason to change managers. Like I said on another topic, Mancini going to Juventus is nothing more tabloid bullshit. He showed such determination coming specifically to England that I don't think he'll be leaving no matter what.

My money's on Hughes going to Celtic anyway.

If O'Neill is unsettled at Villa then I bet Hughes' name is thrown around as a potential replacement. I think a Premiership Newcastle or Leeds would suit him, though.

Hughes to Celtic? Big Club but the last Manager was Tony Mowbray! They obviously can't appoint someone more capable.
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:03 am

I want to like a manager as well as respect him (not many have made me do both since Joe Mercer's time) so my top three choices for City's manager next year are
1. Mourinho, truly the Special One
2. Mancini to stay
3. Roy Hodgson.
I don't like O'Neill and would be dismayed if Arsene Wenger came to City, as I've heard Marwood wants him to.
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

Postby Scorchio » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:50 am

He is not the stature of manager the owners are looking for. He would not be a big draw to top name players from the continent, who the owners want to bring in. Much more likely MONg is off to Liverpool. No way he is going from Villa to Celtic. Even since he was in Scotland the money and talent has drained away. From poor to piss poor. I doubt Celtic could afford him now.

Mancini to stay and bring in four or six of his own players. I feel sure we would be challenging for the title. We need stablity at the top. Prefer we didnt go down the Real Madrid route, having a couple of managers a season, every season.
Scorchio
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Citeh&Crew » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:57 am

In my opinion, we need stability more than anything else. I wasn't happy with MH as manager, but I hardly wanted or expected to see him fired, as he was after the Sunderland victory. And as for Mancini.. I like his personality, but not his lack of attack-minded football (Burnley result aside). Regardless, I want him to stay desperately, because I believe that in the long-run, he will make us a true contender for top 4 every year.

This switching of managers has become counter-productive. I don't care what the pedigree of an incoming manager; he cannot effectively put a "stamp" on the team, and thus be given a fair chance, without time, and money to bring in his players.

In the past, some have brought up that Chelsea switches managers quite often. I would argue that JM put the pieces in place for a certain style of football, and that subsequent managers have simply come in and tweaked while letting the players "do their thing". It's not as if Chelsea has changed significantly since 2006-2007. Their core players are still there, and they play the exact same way. City is simply not "there" yet. Besides, I am hoping that our owners aren't as insane as Roman Abramovich.. there was no good reason for him to fire JM, or even Avram Grant. For that matter, I'd say Grant was fired more for his appearance, than his "lack" (if you want to call it that) of results.
Citeh&Crew

Postby Citeh&Crew » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:01 pm

Scorchio wrote:He is not the stature of manager the owners are looking for. He would not be a big draw to top name players from the continent, who the owners want to bring in. Much more likely MONg is off to Liverpool. No way he is going from Villa to Celtic. Even since he was in Scotland the money and talent has drained away. From poor to piss poor. I doubt Celtic could afford him now.

Mancini to stay and bring in four or six of his own players. I feel sure we would be challenging for the title. We need stablity at the top. Prefer we didnt go down the Real Madrid route, having a couple of managers a season, every season.

And look at Real Madrid! Honestly, with all the galacticos they have, I can say they are less than the sum of their parts. To be blunt, without the individual efforts of Ronaldo, they, as an American should put, SUCK. And a large part of the reason for this is directly related to their managerial revolving door, and the fact that their managers have less than adequate say during the transfer windows.
Citeh&Crew

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum