The numbers game

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The numbers game

Postby patrickblue » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:02 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
patrickblue wrote:It's been in our own hands for a long time now, [highlight]all the pundits going on about spuds was rubbish, they're pretty at home, but no defence when the going gets tough.[/highlight] Scouse have the best chance, [highlight]but I believe they will bottle it starting this afternoon.[/highlight] If it was everton we were chasing 4th with I would be worried

How can you provoke fate like this? How long have you been supporting City??

Since when Johnny Crossan himself was playing, about 45 years. I accept full responsibility if it all goes tits up, but out of spuds, red scouse, villa and ourselves I think we have the best team, plus it's in our hands to win. Typical City is dying by degrees.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby s1ty m » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:02 pm

Right, Liverpool drop 2 points at Brum, they can now get a maximum of 15. They are 4 points adrift of us and we have better GD and 1 more game to play than them, 4/6 at home. We now need 11 points from our 18 to get 4th if Liverpool win all 5 and assuming Spurs do not do something amazing and win 2 of the 3 murder games coming up for them.

What looked good when I started this thread now looks even better.
Last edited by s1ty m on Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:02 pm

I like our chances of getting 4th after this weekends results
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby dikdik » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:06 pm

If anyone wakes me up from this beautiful dream I shall be very annoyed...
dikdik
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby john68 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:09 pm

With regard to this season's final position, I don't see us failing to make 4th. It is in our own hands and unlike our nearest rivals, we have no other distractions or pressures. We have a good squad with strength in depth. This will be the best chance we have ever had to make the step into the CL for many years.
I am under no illususion of the importance of finishing 4th this year. It will open the gate to City being a more attractive proposition to the more elite player. Not the Vieiras who are past their prime but players who are in the prime, have a future and want |CL competition.
During the summer, we could see many changes to our rivals. I see Everton being a bigger threat, with Villa and Spurs another year stronger. Liverpool won't tolerate being so poor and there may be major changes at Anfield too.

Whether we play the nimbers game or whatever those numbers become, we have to finish 4th this season. We can do it.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby s1ty m » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:17 pm

john68 wrote:With regard to this season's final position, I don't see us failing to make 4th. It is in our own hands and unlike our nearest rivals, we have no other distractions or pressures. We have a good squad with strength in depth. This will be the best chance we have ever had to make the step into the CL for many years.
I am under no illususion of the importance of finishing 4th this year. It will open the gate to City being a more attractive proposition to the more elite player. Not the Vieiras who are past their prime but players who are in the prime, have a future and want |CL competition.
During the summer, we could see many changes to our rivals. I see Everton being a bigger threat, with Villa and Spurs another year stronger. Liverpool won't tolerate being so poor and there may be major changes at Anfield too.

Whether we play the nimbers game or whatever those numbers become, we have to finish 4th this season. We can do it.

Spot on. If we get 4th, the floodgates will open. It is the key to getting 3 world class players in. Do that and we could push for the league next season. Seriously.
s1ty m

Postby btajim » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:38 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:Fifth won't be an incredible achievement from where we are now. We have wanted this chance all season and here it is. We must take it now.

Yes it will be. We've not been in 4th for a significant part of the season. Manchester City haven't finished 5th in the top flight since I've been a Fan. To me, it's an incredible achievement and something to work on.

Rome wasn't built in a day.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby john68 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:32 pm

I think we should not go too overboard on our achievement this season.
There is still a large gap between the top 3 and the chasing group which shows that we might be pushing for a CL qualifying place but that is more to do with Liverpool's failure to compete at the very top. We have not replaced them yet and we still have some way to go.

Before we can truly celebrate, we have to be in the mix at the top with the rags, Chelsea and Arsenal, with the chasing pack around 10 points behind us.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby patrickblue » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:03 pm

King Kev wrote:
Can't believe the bookies fancy Liverpool more than Spurs though!

They don't any more mate, not after they bottled it today
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby patrickblue » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:17 pm

john68 wrote:I think we should not go too overboard on our achievement this season.
There is still a large gap between the top 3 and the chasing group which shows that we might be pushing for a CL qualifying place but that is more to do with Liverpool's failure to compete at the very top. We have not replaced them yet and we still have some way to go.

Before we can truly celebrate, we have to be in the mix at the top with the rags, Chelsea and Arsenal, with the chasing pack around 10 points behind us.

Not going overboard, but I think the reason we are only scrapping for 4th is inexperience. Hull, Burnley and Fulham at home plus red scouse home and away are ten points I believe the top 3 would not have thrown away. Ten points would have us on 69 points, 5 behind Chelsea, 3 behind the scum and 2 behind Arse with a game in hand on all of them. We've shown we can compete with the best, 6 points off Chelsea, stuffed Arse and robbed at the swamp.We just need the belief which will come with experience.
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby gillie » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:40 pm

patrickblue wrote:
john68 wrote:I think we should not go too overboard on our achievement this season.

Not going overboard, but I think the reason we are only scrapping for 4th is inexperience. Hull, Burnley and Fulham at home plus red scouse home and away are ten points I believe the top 3 would not have thrown away. Ten points would have us on 69 points, 5 behind Chelsea, 3 behind the scum and 2 behind Arse with a game in hand on all of them. We've shown we can compete with the best, 6 points off Chelsea, stuffed Arse and robbed at the swamp.We just need the belief which will come with experience.

Absolutely agree with you Patrick mate also the fact that this team has been assembled in less than 2 seasons also adds credence to your argument imo.I was stunned to realise yesterday whilst watching the mauling of Burnley and on seeing Sven at the game that Ned was the only player in the starting 11 that was on Sven's team/squad thats a complete team put together in less than 2 seasons.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:21 pm

To help with the desperation and as a bit of random hope, I've put the points for 4th and 5th place over the last 10 seasons (thanks Wikipedia)

1999-00 - 67, 65
2000-01 - 68, 66
2001-02 - 71, 66
2002-03 - 67, 64
2003-04 - 60, 56
2004-05 - 61, 58
2005-06 - 67, 65
2006-07 - 68, 68
2007-08 - 76, 65
2008-09 - 72, 63

An average of 68 points for 4th. Perhaps more importantly, the 5th placed side has averaged 64 points and, in 2004 and 2005, 59 points would have already been enough for 4th.

History is bunk, but perhaps it shows that our concerns that Liverpool will win the next 5 are unlikely. If we didn't get 4th with 70 points, we'd be very unlucky, in fact, it would be the first time in the last 10 years and probably longer.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby gillie » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:31 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:To help with the desperation and as a bit of random hope, I've put the points for 4th and 5th place over the last 10 seasons (thanks Wikipedia)

1999-00 - 67, 65
2000-01 - 68, 66
2001-02 - 71, 66
2002-03 - 67, 64
2003-04 - 60, 56
2004-05 - 61, 58
2005-06 - 67, 65
2006-07 - 68, 68
2007-08 - 76, 65
2008-09 - 72, 63

An average of 68 points for 4th. Perhaps more importantly, the 5th placed side has averaged 64 points and, in 2004 and 2005, 59 points would have already been enough for 4th.

History is bunk, but perhaps it shows that our concerns that Liverpool will win the next 5 are unlikely. If we didn't get 4th with 70 points, we'd be very unlucky, in fact, it would be the first time in the last 10 years and probably longer.

BS76 I have said all along we will get71/72 pts so by your reasoning and the stats we will be 4th because after all what cant speak cant lie.Its ours and its time to believe guys.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:17 am

Blue Since 76 wrote:To help with the desperation and as a bit of random hope, I've put the points for 4th and 5th place over the last 10 seasons (thanks Wikipedia)

1999-00 - 67, 65
2000-01 - 68, 66
2001-02 - 71, 66
2002-03 - 67, 64
2003-04 - 60, 56
2004-05 - 61, 58
2005-06 - 67, 65
2006-07 - 68, 68
2007-08 - 76, 65
2008-09 - 72, 63

I think this helps dispel the mytyh that it's all down to Liverpool's failure. We are well on track for the points total that historically would secure fourth. Come to think of it, Liverpool are quite possibly going to amass a total that would normally be enough, and still miss out. Hurrah!
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Us

Postby bluechester » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:25 am

think birmingham game this weekend will be massive for us, especially that spurs have got ars, we could build a little gap between us & them after this weekend, if results go our way, so HUGE weekend comming up,
bluechester
Superman's Underpants

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:33 am

bluechester wrote:think birmingham game this weekend will be massive for us, especially that spurs have got ars, we could build a little gap between us & them after this weekend, if results go our way, so HUGE weekend comming up,

If we beat Brum, a four point gap (albeit with a game in hand) might prove too much for Spuds. Would you fancy making up four points when your next three fixtures are Arse, Filth and Chelsea?
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Us

Postby bluechester » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:37 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:
bluechester wrote:think birmingham game this weekend will be massive for us, especially that spurs have got ars, we could build a little gap between us & them after this weekend, if results go our way, so HUGE weekend comming up,

If we beat Brum, a four point gap (albeit with a game in hand) might prove too much for Spuds. Would you fancy making up four points when your next three fixtures are Arse, Filth and Chelsea?

exactly that will leave just us & liverpool for a fight for forth, this game against birmingahm is massive,
bluechester
Superman's Underpants

Postby Crossie » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:42 am

It could easily be sown up before we play Spuds, which would be ideal, because id fucking hate it if they beat us at home. They always feel like our bogey team since that FA cup 5-2 piss take back in the 90's The Terry Phelan game
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:13 pm

Crossie wrote:It could easily be sown up before we play Spuds, which would be ideal, because id fucking hate it if they beat us at home. They always feel like our bogey team since that FA cup 5-2 piss take back in the 90's The Terry Phelan game

Spuds are a serious bogey team for us, but this time round i am much less worried.. already this season we have put to bed a few bogey teams or grounds, most notably Craven Cottage and Chelsea. I have a sense that Mancini can deal with a team like Spurs and get the set up right.. it is the Everton types he clearly hasn't sussed out.

In general i have been trying to read the tea leaves this season and im confident that we can do Spurs this time and also do Arsenal at the Emirates.

Anyways can anyone seriously believe that Spurs are going to come out of their next 3 in any shape whatsoever to still be sniffing around 4th ?
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby s1ty m » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:58 pm

Crossie wrote:It could easily be sown up before we play Spuds, which would be ideal, because id fucking hate it if they beat us at home. They always feel like our bogey team since that FA cup 5-2 piss take back in the 90's The Terry Phelan game

it was 4-2 crossie, sorry to sound picky. just saying...

but, have they really been a bogey side? since that dreadful afternoon you mention, i recall a few good wins v spuds:@

the 4-3 and 5-2 games, both outstanding in one way or another. the 2-0 at their place one bank holiday (sommeil and barton, thanks joey) and a couple of basic league wins at home. plus we didn't play them 5 years at all.

not the record we used to have against the, but not quite bogeyish.
s1ty m

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum