Monday's B*ll*x

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Monday's B*ll*x

Postby Chinners » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:18 am

Laws: I wouldn't have called for Man City abandonment
SHELL-SHOCKED Burnley manager Brian Laws urged match officials NOT to abandon Saturday’s game, even though a waterlogged pitch would have been their only way of avoiding a 6-1 thrashing by Manchester City.
The scoreline was 5-0 when Turf Moor was hit by a deluge and surface water covered most areas of the pitch when the teams emerged for the second half.
But Laws told fourth official Kevin Friend that the match must be completed, despite the conditions, because an abandonment at that stage would have “embarrassing”.
“I said to the fourth official that there was no way it could be called off. I wouldn’t accept that because the game was effectively over anyway,” he said.
“I couldn’t use the pitch as an excuse and lay blame on that.
“That would have been embarrasing for that to happen.”
The Clarets had been condemned to their third home defeat on the spin after shipping three goals in the opening six-and-a-half minutes, leaving their gameplan to take the game to Champions League-chasing City in tatters.
“We were being positive, that was the dumbfounding thing,” said Laws. “The fact that we were going out there with a positive team to go and attack Manchester City, at home with a fantastic crowd behind us, and at the end of it I’m having to apologise to the supporters for it. An awful display of defending in that first six minutes has effectively killed the game.
“The team we picked was an attack-minded team but you can’t neglect your defensive duties.”
And Laws has vowed to ring the changes for next week’s crunch game at third-bottom Hull.
“The one thing it has taught me is that we cannot play with two midfielders because we are not good enough,” he said.
“We tried to release the shackles because we have been defending in numbers for 10 games and effectively staying in games without conceding too many goals.
“Manchester City tore us apart in that first six minutes and that showed me we can’t play with two in there against any team in the Premier League because we are not good enough to do it.”
News of Hull’s defeat at Stoke, before Burnley’s late kick-off, had provided a pre-match boost. But Laws rued another opportunity missed to close the gap at the bottom.
“That performance didn’t embrace the results because it was another opportunity to get close to the teams around us,” said the former Sheffield Wednesday boss.
“We knew we were going to have a tough game against Manchester City because they’ve got an objective themselves to get fourth spot.
“You’ve seen them go away from home and beat Chelsea.
“They’ve got real quality through the side.
“The fact that a game was over, effectively, after six minutes is difficult to swallow and to accept. But we’ll be ready for the next game.”

WAG OF THE DAY
http://www.predictfootball.co.uk/predic ... curran.jpg

TRANSFER BOLLOX
Everton are weighing up a move for Ajax's highly rated Belgium international defender Jan Vertonghen. Daily Mail

Feyenoord winger Georginio Wijnaldum is being lined up by Liverpool with manager Rafael Benitez pondering a £8m bid. caughtoffside.com

Arsenal have been linked with a £12m move for Schalke goalkeeper Manuel Neuer. The 24-year-old has also been considered as a long-term replacement for Edwin Van der Sar at Manchester United. caughtoffside.com

Birmingham are weighing up a £2m move for Cardiff winger Chris Burke. Daily Mail

Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce wants to tie up a deal for Portsmouth striker Aruna Dindane this week and then follow it up with a move in the summer for Stuttgart forward Cacau. Daily Mail

Celtic boss Neil Lennon is chasing Liverpool striker Danny Pacheco as he lines up players for next season and hopes to persuade the young Spanish striker to join on loan. Daily Mirror

England Under-17 striker Connor Wickham has ignored the overtures of Premier League sides Arsenal, Tottenham and Fulham to sign his first professional contract with Championship side Ipswich. (Daily Mirror)

Former Liverpool, Leeds and Manchester City striker Robbie Fowler's stay at North Queensland Fury depends on the Football Federation of Australia finding the cash to recruit him for another year in the A-League.Herald Sun

OTHER BOLLOX
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson could spring the surprise of the season by including striker Wayne Rooney in his plans for the Champions League quarter-final against Bayern Munich. Daily Mail

Ferguson is likely to introduce Rafael da Silva, Michael Carrick and Nani for Wednesday's match at the expense of Gary Neville, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs, all of whom started Saturday's 2-1 defeat by Chelsea. Daily Mirror

Barcelona manager Josep Guardiola may be tempted to replace Arsene Wenger at Arsenal once he decides to move on from the Nou Camp. Daily Mirror

Arsenal's chances of advancing to the last four may have improved after Barcelona striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic was ruled out of their second-leg meeting with a calf injury. The Guardian

Wolves captain Karl Henry has launched a savage attack on Arsenal following his red card in Saturday's 1-0 defeat by the Gunners. Daily Mirror

West Ham manager Gianfranco Zola believes criticism from co-owner David Sullivan inspired his side to twice come back from a goal down and claim a 2-2 draw against Everton at Goodison Park. The Times

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson has attacked supporters in Craven Cottage's expensive seats for criticising his players after they fell behind to Wigan during Sunday's 2-1 win. The Sun

Liverpool owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett are likely to reject an offer of £110m in return for a 40% stake in the club from New York-based fund management firm Rhone Group. Daily Telegraph

Middlesbrough have promised to honour an agreement to pay an extra £1m to cash-strapped Portsmouth once Gary O'Neil plays his 100th game for the Teessiders. The midfielder, who moved between the two clubs in 2007, played his 99th game for Boro against Crystal Palace on Saturday. Daily Mail

Former Bristol City manager Gary Johnson has agreed a two-year-deal to take charge of Peterborough after meeting with Posh owner Darragh MacAnthony in Florida. The Sun

Ipswich chief executive Simon Clegg has rejected suggestions that manager Roy Keane could lose his job at Portman Road. The Guardian

Former Celtic full-back Willie McStay could return to the club to assist caretaker boss Neil Lennon after quitting as boss of Hungarian side Ujpest Dozsa. Daily Record

Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard is to make his film debut in a two-minute short written by Blues fan David Baddiel and his brother Ivor. The Y Word will attempt to raise awareness of anti-semitic chanting at football grounds. (The Independent)

England and Tottenham striker Peter Crouch's had to rummage through a hotel's lost property in search of a size-12 replacement before England's friendly against Egypt on 3 March after fiancee Abbey Clancy packed two left shoes for him. The Sun
Last edited by Chinners on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Re: Monday's B*ll*x

Postby john@staustell » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:07 am

I may have been mistaken, but I thought I saw Laws and his boys pressing for an abandonment second half!?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby 9secondlegend » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:10 am

john@staustell wrote:I may have been mistaken, but I thought I saw Laws and his boys pressing for an abandonment second half!?

yeah...and then they went and scored!!!!
9secondlegend
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby craigmcfc » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:22 am

john@staustell wrote:I may have been mistaken, but I thought I saw Laws and his boys pressing for an abandonment second half!?

It certainly looked like his backroom staff were saying exactly that to the 4th official but fair play to him if that wasn't his intention
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Return to The Maine Football forum