Champions League Tuesday

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Champions League Tuesday

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:54 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:Heard one of the most depressing things possible on 5 live before the game kicked off. They were mentioning that Guardiola is really into the English league and would like to manage here one day. Apparently he spent time with Jewell learning his trade! They then reminded me that he'd failed a trial at City under Pearce. If he'd passed that trial, he could have been hanging around as coach at the point that Pearce left...

I think he could be a choice that all City fans would agree with. Well obviously there would be someone on here who'd hate him before he'd managed one game, but he majority would like him

You learn something new everyday. I think most people like Guardiola as an individual so there would be no problems with him coming here, especially after what he is achieving now.

Personally though, I am happy with Mancio and see where he is taking us forward. I'll let him do his thing and then if he leaves, look toward the likes of Pep to take over.

Agree about Bobby Manc and I hope he gets a summer to mould the team how he wants, but if we had to make a change, I can think of worse managers

dont get carried away with Pep Guardiola.. he has Rijkaards team and Barca's system. There is no evidence that he could go anywhere else and form a winning team. im not disputing that he has done very well with what he was given as he is very well liked.. but he would be a huge gamble for anyone else to take on. Even Barca fans admit this to a man.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Blue in North London » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:03 pm

Sister of fu wrote:Best player in the world bar none!!

That cannot be right. The English media have said all season that it is Rooney :)

As brilliant as Messi is, it is Xavi who makes them tick. IMO he is the best central midfielder I have ever seen.
Blue in North London
Superman's Underpants

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:11 pm

Souness has just got it right, arguably Barca at the moment are the best team he's ever seen and I'd probably agree.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Citeh&Crew » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:20 pm

I haven't been watching football for as long as some of you, but can anyone here point to a any team in history. that dominates like the Barcelona of last and this year? They hold the ball for long stretches with such class.. and even when dispossessed, they swarm the opposition and win the ball as if they had 20 field players, instead of 10. Even without Messi, this team is heads-above every other team in class (although Lionel is certainly the heart of Barca).

Put it like this: they did to Arsenal, what we did to Burnley. It wasn't even a match.
Citeh&Crew

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:29 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Souness has just got it right, arguably Barca at the moment are the best team he's ever seen and I'd probably agree.

Although they didn't win the chump's league, I rate the Arsenal side with Vieira, Henry etc at their peaks as better. I think the whole competition was stronger then as was the PL here. If that Arsenal side had the same positions around the box as they got tonight, they may have scored more than Barca did.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:34 pm

I think I'd give that Messi fellow a run for his money.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:34 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Souness has just got it right, arguably Barca at the moment are the best team he's ever seen and I'd probably agree.

Although they didn't win the chump's league, I rate the Arsenal side with Vieira, Henry etc at their peaks as better. I think the whole competition was stronger then as was the PL here. If that Arsenal side had the same positions around the box as they got tonight, they may have scored more than Barca did.

I rate that team as well mate, but when you see a team play like they have over the last 12/24 months, you've got to say that they have everything. Arsenal were good, just not that good imo. It might be that they are here and now (Souness said that as well), but I think the difference was that Arsenal relied on the more physical players whereas Barca today are just pure football.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:35 pm

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:I think I'd give that Messi fellow a run for his money.

Over how many metres mate?

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Blue Since 76 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 pm

brite blu sky wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:Heard one of the most depressing things possible on 5 live before the game kicked off. They were mentioning that Guardiola is really into the English league and would like to manage here one day. Apparently he spent time with Jewell learning his trade! They then reminded me that he'd failed a trial at City under Pearce. If he'd passed that trial, he could have been hanging around as coach at the point that Pearce left...

I think he could be a choice that all City fans would agree with. Well obviously there would be someone on here who'd hate him before he'd managed one game, but he majority would like him

You learn something new everyday. I think most people like Guardiola as an individual so there would be no problems with him coming here, especially after what he is achieving now.

Personally though, I am happy with Mancio and see where he is taking us forward. I'll let him do his thing and then if he leaves, look toward the likes of Pep to take over.

Agree about Bobby Manc and I hope he gets a summer to mould the team how he wants, but if we had to make a change, I can think of worse managers

dont get carried away with Pep Guardiola.. he has Rijkaards team and Barca's system. There is no evidence that he could go anywhere else and form a winning team. im not disputing that he has done very well with what he was given as he is very well liked.. but he would be a huge gamble for anyone else to take on. Even Barca fans admit this to a man.

That won what under Rijkaard? They were falling out and falling apart.

You're right about him possibly not making it when he left Barca, but you could have said the same about Mourinho leaving Porto, Taggart leaving Aberdeen or Hughes leaving Blackburn. Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad, as the (bad) song says.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:01 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

I rate that team as well mate, but when you see a team play like they have over the last 12/24 months, you've got to say that they have everything. Arsenal were good, just not that good imo. It might be that they are here and now (Souness said that as well), but I think the difference was that Arsenal relied on the more physical players whereas Barca today are just pure football.

I thought that Arsenal side could play any kind of football they wanted tbh. The only faults I could see were a tendancy to get wound up & sometimes they thought they could win games too easily. Henry still gets a regular game with Barca even now he's not even half the player he was. I recon Bergkamp, Vieira & all the back 4 would also get in their 1st 11.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:43 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

I thought that Arsenal side could play any kind of football they wanted tbh. The only faults I could see were a tendancy to get wound up & sometimes they thought they could win games too easily. Henry still gets a regular game with Barca even now he's not even half the player he was. I recon Bergkamp, Vieira & all the back 4 would also get in their 1st 11.

I agree with you mate, but this thread is 17 minutes away from exstinction so we'll leave it there. Maybe another time.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:08 am

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... diola.html
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby Kyle » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:25 am

Citeh&Crew wrote:I haven't been watching football for as long as some of you, but can anyone here point to a any team in history. that dominates like the Barcelona of last and this year? They hold the ball for long stretches with such class.. and even when dispossessed, they swarm the opposition and win the ball as if they had 20 field players, instead of 10. Even without Messi, this team is heads-above every other team in class (although Lionel is certainly the heart of Barca).

Put it like this: they did to Arsenal, what we did to Burnley. It wasn't even a match.

We beat arsenal when they traveled to Manchester earlier this year 4-2. Pretty similar, not saying we are as good as Barcelona but in a results game they are the same.
Kyle
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID

Postby Blue in North London » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:38 am

Citeh&Crew wrote:I haven't been watching football for as long as some of you, but can anyone here point to a any team in history. that dominates like the Barcelona of last and this year? They hold the ball for long stretches with such class.. and even when dispossessed, they swarm the opposition and win the ball as if they had 20 field players, instead of 10. Even without Messi, this team is heads-above every other team in class (although Lionel is certainly the heart of Barca).

I'd say that the Milan team that contained Van Basten and Gullitt were as good as the current Barca team. Barca are the better attacking team of the two but Milan were brilliant defensively. I doubt Messi would get as much space against the likes of Baresi, Maldini, Costacurta and Tassotti.
Blue in North London
Superman's Underpants

Postby Vhero » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:54 am

Blue in North London wrote:

I'd say that the Milan team that contained Van Basten and Gullitt were as good as the current Barca team. Barca are the better attacking team of the two but Milan were brilliant defensively. I doubt Messi would get as much space against the likes of Baresi, Maldini, Costacurta and Tassotti.

Wow those are some fucking quality names..
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby guv111 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:05 am

I had the updates on Sky Sports News, and the best thing about it was constantly seeing the Premier League table with City placed fourth. Really brought home to me how much we have come on this season, for some reason, when other sightings of the table haven't had that effect on me. Strange, but it was beautiful to behold!
guv111
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby john@staustell » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:16 am

I think you´re right mate. There´ll never be a team like that.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Blue in North London » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:45 am

Vhero wrote:

Wow those are some fucking quality names..

Baresi - my favourite ever footballer. A footballer with Jedi-like powers :)
Blue in North London
Superman's Underpants

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum