Kolo Toure

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Kolo Toure

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:18 am

I hate to do this as I hate having a boo boy, BUT has anyone else noticed his tendency to completly mistime simple clearances lately? I'm having serious worries that this guy is going to cost us a few vital points if we stick with him. Agaisnt Wigan he made a meal of several seemingly simple clearances and it seems to be happening a lot recently.

The sad part is, outside of Ade and Carlos he was the signing I expected the most from. As much as I loved Dunnie I've craved a real ball playing CB for years, I got it in the end, but it turned out to be Kompany.

I hope I'm wrong and he turns it round, but is everyone else thinking this or am I on my own?
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Re: Kolo Toure

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:25 am

I think it's quite clear now to everyone that he is a liability. The way he singlehandedly tried to gift a relatively easy game where we were in driving seat against Wigan, was the final straw.

Anyway, I believe Lescott and Vincenzo K have it in them to be our first choice pairing in the future and Toure will probably move on. It's quite possible that Mancini will look to bring top centerback in the summer and he has already shown in my opinion that as squad players he prefers talented youngsters over seasoned pros with flaws in their game.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Kyle » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:36 am

Onouha is a great ball playing center back... If he got a run of games and felt comfortable next to Vk or Lescott he could be a great 3rd choice center back. I thought he was rather impressive against Burnley, not that he had too much to do.
Kyle
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID

Postby Vhero » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:46 am

I think he was partly brought in as we needed a CB desperately at the time and that Hughes was coveting his brother aswell and thought with him in our team it would increase our chances. Obviously with Hughes gone our plans have changed but I don't think he is too bad and we seen worse. Not a top 4 defender though. I still can't get over how well Kompany has performed in CB since being put there..
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby john@staustell » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:10 am

Kyle wrote:Onouha is a great ball playing center back... If he got a run of games and felt comfortable next to Vk or Lescott he could be a great 3rd choice center back. I thought he was rather impressive against Burnley, not that he had too much to do.

Sorry mate, he´s proved many times that he aint (check out the Anfield match, their equaliser). And anytime he starts looking good, he gets injured for another 6 months.

And Boyata is a good prospect etc blah blah.

But unfortunately Kolo is our better option at present with others injured. Not saying he`s great, but there´s a tendency to big up academy players, and denigrate half-decent senior players because they´re not quite as ´invincible´ as they once were.

He´s been there, seen it, done it. But Lescott must be due back soon eh?

And i reckon most of us on here could´ve done an RB job against Burnley, including John68.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Mike J » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:26 am

Vhero wrote:I think he was partly brought in as we needed a CB desperately at the time and that Hughes was coveting his brother aswell and thought with him in our team it would increase our chances. Obviously with Hughes gone our plans have changed but I don't think he is too bad and we seen worse. Not a top 4 defender though. I still can't get over how well Kompany has performed in CB since being put there..

why? he has played there loads of times for previous club and for belgium. its always been his strongest position.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby dazby » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:51 am

Vhero wrote:I think he was partly brought in as we needed a CB desperately at the time and that Hughes was coveting his brother aswell and thought with him in our team it would increase our chances. Obviously with Hughes gone our plans have changed but I don't think he is too bad and we seen worse. Not a top 4 defender though. I still can't get over how well Kompany has performed in CB since being put there..

Top bombing there Vhero. I agree 100%. I also thought centre mid was Vinnies best position.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Vhero » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:03 am

Mike J wrote:

why? he has played there loads of times for previous club and for belgium. its always been his strongest position.

I don't mean I'm surprised he's performing well at CB just he's performing way above my expectations and considering CB is his second position he's actually playing better there than any of our other CBs. If that makes sense?
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby gaudy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:10 am

Toure was past it when we bought him,wenger knew it, arse fans knew it,everyone knew it except the people who are paid thousands a week to spot and bring in players to the club didnt feckin see it.
granted taking a player from another country and takin a chance on him can backfire but this was common knowledge as he was in our own league,watchin him closely week in ,week out.....
and giving him the captains armbard is beyond a joke.

ok think ye get it............i dont like or rate him!!!
gaudy
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:34 am

the only thing i would say is that if we are competing seriously for all honours next season then 2 CB and academy back up is not enough.
But as i set out in a thread a while ago, there are certain players who have to show that they have got it before the end of this season, because we will need a more comprehensive squad next season especially if we are competing in the CL.

If anything the rise of City is making the PL even tougher than it was ( the points spread suggests this ) look at the current top 3.. they are all having BIG problems with not enough fit players to fill key positions. Chelsea now have a second string defence, Arsenal also.

In the end this problem costs titles and trophies.

we may well keep Toure even if we do sign a top notch CB in the summer. just so we have enough cover.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Return to The Maine Football forum