will qualifying for the CL mean a longer wait for a trophy?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

will qualifying for the CL mean a longer wait for a trophy?

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:29 am

I cannot see Mancini and co putting the Carling Cup as a priority! We all know that the priorities will change:

1. Premeir League Position
2. Champs League
3. FA Cup
4. Carling Cup
5. Europa Cup (if we make a mess of the CL)

I think qualifying for the CL will keep that old trafford banner up there a little bit longer than if we were not in the CL. I hope Messi has a fall out with barca over the summer.... We will need a very talented squad to win a trophy next year IMO.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: will qualifying for the CL mean a longer wait for a trophy?

Postby CityGer » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:54 am

There's an argument that says qualifying for the champions league will help us attract some top players and improve our squad so the reverse could be true. However, I agree that we will have to prioritise and that the Carling Cup may fall down the pecking order.

I'd hope that we will retain a big enough squad with enough quality through it to compete on all fronts as lots of champs league teams have done in recent years.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby Fish111 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:02 am

Qualifying for the CL will inevitably mean a longer wait for a Carling Cup victory but i think the FA Cup and the league position will be of paramount importance. With the better players we will be able to attract by being in the CL then a trophy, whether that be the Premiership or FA Cup, will follow sooner rather than later. The scum & Arsenal have been strong throughout the years because they have given their kids a good go in the Carling Cup which gives them invaluable experience at the top level. We should do the same.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Swales4ever » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:10 am

Fish111 wrote:Qualifying for the CL will inevitably mean a longer wait for a Carling Cup victory but i think the FA Cup and the league position will be of paramount importance. With the better players we will be able to attract by being in the CL then a trophy, whether that be the Premiership or FA Cup, will follow sooner rather than later. The scum & Arsenal have been strong throughout the years because they have given their kids a good go in the Carling Cup which gives them invaluable experience at the top level. We should do the same.

Seconded. Specially because You probably have to go to Amsterdam to find a better Accademy than City's.
Btw, I fail to understand (be said with full respect!) why a progress may be intended for a weakness or a regress, outside Vatican City I mean... :-)

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:57 am

agree with Fish

i think it all depends on how much the squad is beefed up over the summer.. and also how well we do in this run-in.
The squad as it stands is good enough to win the domestic cups as long as we keep improving. It is also not too far off challenging for the title.. but to be really in with a shout of the title we need to sort the midfield out. If we did that and are in for a shout on the title, then really only the experience side would question our ability to do well in the CL (assuming we get there). With that kind of atmosphere and belief at the club then by using the squad to the full there is no reason we cant make a good stab at one of the trophies..
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Vhero » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:01 pm

Depends really on how big our squad will be at the start of the season and how bad injurys will be nobody knows these things and can predict. Its swinging the way of waiting longer yeah but bigger honours and more of em is more likely too :).
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby btajim » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:36 pm

If any of the bigger Clubs miss out on Champions League qualification within their own Country then the opportunity to play for City in the real European Competition must be something attractive. A selling point for us, definitely.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Return to The Maine Football forum