Training Thursday 8/4

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Training Thursday 8/4

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:31 pm

Third day in a row at Carrington and with a couple of special guests today. Sven walked out at the start chatting with Mancini and stayed out for the whole session. Special greetings from the players who were here with him and many of the backroom staff. And half way though today's training a buggy rolled past carrying Bert Trautman across to join the keepers. I don't know how old Bert is but he looked very well to me. He was being videod with the keepers so I expect something on the City site soon.

Today's session was probably as long as any I can recall with Mancini. Planty of the usual warm up and stretching work done.The first part being keep ball circles which happened very close to the watching fans which was really good for all to see the great team spirit. Missing again were Richards/Taylor/Lescott/Petrov/Ireland the latter inside again after his injury setback.Only minor I was told.

A very competitive keep ball exercise was then followed by them splitting into 2 groups again. Mancini taking a team away behind the fence and the only surprise was it included Garrido rather than Bridge just to keep me guessing.They worked on the general team formation followed by plenty of attacking manoevres whilst all the other players practiced their finishing. Arguably the best was Bridge but there was plenty to keep the fans happy as loads of balls were flying over the fence for them to get back. When Ade missed one chance by miles he was greeted by you should have done better than that Ade! His response was something about saving it for Sunday. Our young German keeper Karius again showed up quite well under the barrage he received.

During this part Michael Johnson came out for the first time and after a greeting with Sven and others did a little work out with a physio.He is definitely looking trimmer than after his previous long lay off.I though they might finish after this part of the training but they moved onto another pitch for a 10 a side game. Fast and furious it was too with not many goals or even chances.The only 2 I recall were a Barry tap in after an RSC shot was saved and then right at the end when RSC fed Bellers to smash a great right footer from the edge of the D.

Two players who caught my eye were Vieira who was heavily involved in everything and Zaba who had to mark Bellers and did a pretty good job.Aoments from AJ but his final ball wasn't quite right today.About an hour and 45 minutes today so I am thinking it might be day off tomorrow.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Thursday 8/4

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:46 pm

I always think to myself at the end of the reports.

Awwww how did they cope training for 1 hour 45 minute plus a day off tomorrow.

poor lambs.
Last edited by lets all have a disco on Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Renato_CTID » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:48 pm

Glad to know Svennie comes back again to Carrington! He was the first master of Mancio at Lazio's times when they both deserve to win a Serie A title just ten years ago!
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby london blue 2 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:49 pm

Quality as usualy pal. Appreciated.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Blue Blood » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:14 pm

Ah Sven what a guy, good to hear he's come back to carrington even if its just for a day.

Cheers yet again for the quality report doug :D
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby brite blu sky » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:15 pm

excellent and interesting report again Doug..

seems a shift to training for attack is well and truly in place nowadays.

Would be great to read your thoughts on the evolution of the training sessions under Mancini.. towards or at the end of the season.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:25 pm

brite blu sky wrote:excellent and interesting report again Doug..

Would be great to read your thoughts on the evolution of the training sessions under Mancini.. towards or at the end of the season.

There is definitely more emphasis on attacking play now in the sessions they have which, as you suggest and many have said, sounds about right after the initial focus on the defence which was clearly the priority.It isn't all attacking play though as virtually every day they still spend a little time on the formation/shape aspects of the play which is really about about when we haven't got the ball.But less and less on pure defensive issues like the zonal defensive positions from corners.Today in fact they spent a little time specifically on positions for our corners which they havent done much on before.

Two other things which have evolved a bit are the timing of the sessions and the preparation/organisation for them. The sessions are not always at the same time but it seems to be they are a little more settled and the timings not left until the last minute as on occasion I think they had been. The preparation also seems better,more organised with more attention to detail. Maybe only little things but often those little details matter.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:33 pm

Eh Doug, do you know if the lads still get together the night before the game like they did when Mancio came in?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby brite blu sky » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:41 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:

There is definitely more emphasis on attacking play now in the sessions they have which, as you suggest and many have said, sounds about right after the initial focus on the defence which was clearly the priority.It isn't all attacking play though as virtually every day they still spend a little time on the formation/shape aspects of the play which is really about about when we haven't got the ball.But less and less on pure defensive issues like the zonal defensive positions from corners.Today in fact they spent a little time specifically on positions for our corners which they havent done much on before.

Two other things which have evolved a bit are the timing of the sessions and the preparation/organisation for them. The sessions are not always at the same time but it seems to be they are a little more settled and the timings not left until the last minute as on occasion I think they had been. The preparation also seems better,more organised with more attention to detail. Maybe only little things but often those little details matter.

i suppose that figures too, more attention to detail.. something that is difficult when it is more about 'crisis management'
It is great to know that things are settling as that shows in itself that there is progress there.
Must be great for you Doug to have seen so much of this behind the scenes stuff in what is shaping up to be a momentus season for City.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:03 pm

brite blu sky wrote:

i suppose that figures too, more attention to detail.. something that is difficult when it is more about 'crisis management'
It is great to know that things are settling as that shows in itself that there is progress there.
Must be great for you Doug to have seen so much of this behind the scenes stuff in what is shaping up to be a momentus season for City.

Tis good,enjoyable and interesting.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:04 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Eh Doug, do you know if the lads still get together the night before the game like they did when Mancio came in?

I think they do but I am not 100% sure
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:09 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Eh Doug, do you know if the lads still get together the night before the game like they did when Mancio came in?

I think they do but I am not 100% sure

Cheers Doug and as always it's good to see the reports. Wonder if Sven got a few inside tips on the clubs plans for the future and if Mancio got a few tips on players; Sven's got fingers in many pies!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:21 pm

Maybe we were all to quick to judge Mancini with his defensive set ups for the last few months..me included.

It seems he has sorted out the defense and has now let them off the leash to attack..just as long as when it comes to defending every player plays his part??? Its either that or he has realized that we were getting nowhere with the defensive line ups he kept on putting out?

Who knows......good to hear that we are now concentrating on our main strengh now..which is attack from the off.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby guv111 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:23 pm

Thanks for these, they're very informative and interesting, Douglas.
guv111
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby brite blu sky » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:35 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Maybe we were all to quick to judge Mancini with his defensive set ups for the last few months..me included.

It seems he has sorted out the defense and has now let them off the leash to attack..just as long as when it comes to defending every player plays his part??? Its either that or he has realized that we were getting nowhere with the defensive line ups he kept on putting out?

Who knows......good to hear that we are now concentrating on our main strengh now..which is attack from the off.

well it makes a lot of sense that he had to shore things up first.. and i doubt any of us think he is stupid so it is probably safe to say he had a plan of what needed to happen. It is interesting though because IF it is as it seems and he feels we have got the defensive capacity lets say 'good enough' then we may well be in for a treat or two in the next 6 games..
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:23 pm

brite blu sky wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

well it makes a lot of sense that he had to shore things up first.. and i doubt any of us think he is stupid so it is probably safe to say he had a plan of what needed to happen. It is interesting though because IF it is as it seems and he feels we have got the defensive capacity lets say 'good enough' then we may well be in for a treat or two in the next 6 games..

I think that's the best bet; to concentrate on attack for most of the games we have left. We still have a lot of defensive weaknesses but it takes time to solve stuff like that unless you just stick everyone behind the ball, like we did when he 1st came. We may as well go for it now & he can do some more intense work on the defence in pre-season. We can be a bit more cautious v rags & Arsenal but we should still be looking to get 4-5 players forward on the break.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Cheers Doug, top report as always.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:25 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

I think that's the best bet; to concentrate on attack for most of the games we have left. We still have a lot of defensive weaknesses but it takes time to solve stuff like that unless you just stick everyone behind the ball, like we did when he 1st came. We may as well go for it now & he can do some more intense work on the defence in pre-season. We can be a bit more cautious v rags & Arsenal but we should still be looking to get 4-5 players forward on the break.

Best way to beat united is get right at them. They seem to buckle quite easily under sustained pressure, and their midfield is frankly embarrassing in situations like that, as we have seen in recent weeks - they have no answer to a good attacking side - and particularly without tranny, Rooney has nobody to play 1-2s with on the counter as they did so often last year. Had we thrown the kitchen sink at them in the first leg of the LC, I honestly feel the second leg would have been academic.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby brite blu sky » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:59 pm

Lets see what we can do against Birmingham before we carried away.

But basically i would agree that attacking the rags will pay off. In fact i have noticed that they really panic when someone runs straight at the heart of the defence, as opposed to going wide for a ball into the box, which they seem much more comfortable dealing with. Perhaps unfortunately i have suffered watching more of their games than i usually would, but im serious they have a big weakness and it is players running straight out of midfield straight at them.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:02 pm

brite blu sky wrote:Lets see what we can do against Birmingham before we carried away.

But basically i would agree that attacking the rags will pay off. In fact i have noticed that they really panic when someone runs straight at the heart of the defence, as opposed to going wide for a ball into the box, which they seem much more comfortable dealing with. Perhaps unfortunately i have suffered watching more of their games than i usually would, but im serious they have a big weakness and it is players running straight out of midfield straight at them.

We don't exactly have midfield players who can run at anybody ( except Ireland who just hasnt got it right this season ) but with Tevez dropping off and both Bellers and AJ making runs inside at times I am sure we can give them plenty to think about
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum