How long til we are guaranteed Europe?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

How long til we are guaranteed Europe?

Postby Patrick » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:41 am

With all the focus on the Champs League spot I had forgotton about the europa league

The bookies have us at about a 55-60% chance of taking 4th - but Im not sure we have actually shown the consistency/quality to warrant such confidence

Now im no stato - but am I right in thinking that if we get another 6 points we are guaranteed Europe next season?

I know its not the leap forward that we dream but it would be a good step forward to qualify for Europe without the help of the fairplay league!

Thats put me in a great mood today
Standing in the Naughty Corner since 1961
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Re: How long til we are guaranteed Europe?

Postby Wooders » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:59 am

Patrick wrote:With all the focus on the Champs League spot I had forgotton about the europa league

The bookies have us at about a 55-60% chance of taking 4th - but Im not sure we have actually shown the consistency/quality to warrant such confidence
Now im no stato - but am I right in thinking that if we get another 6 points we are guaranteed Europe next season?

I know its not the leap forward that we dream but it would be a good step forward to qualify for Europe without the help of the fairplay league!

Thats put me in a great mood today

The point is, nor has anyone else imo

To be honest I think we are the most "deserving" of a champs league in terms of quality of squad and overall seasonal performance
We also have a much easier run in than spurs and Rafa seems to be focussing on winning the europa league, and Aston Villa seem to be imploding just when they could so easily be making a late bid for 4th place
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby avoidconfusion » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:52 am

I reckon if we win against Birmingham we can beat United in the next game as well, confidence will be sky high, plus it's the derby and you can bet your ass that Tevez and Bellamy will be fired up.

And this time we will also have Adebayor upfront as well.

And to be honest I am not afraid of us going to the Emirates either. Arsenal are cracking up at the moment, yes they are boosted by van Persie returning but I still think we can go there and get something.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby Vhero » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:56 am

I think if we win our next 3 games its pretty much nailed on but it would be tough as they are against the rags and gooners. However with spurs having 2 london derbys and the rags at the swamp its not looking pretty and with bin dippers a few points and a game behind those 9 points could net us a win the next match and 4th is definitely ours status. In other words the earliest we could win 4th for certain is the Villa game I think.. In fact if Villa/Liverpool/spurs (liverpool 2) dont win there next 3 games which is HIGHLY unlikely and we win all 3 we would net it before the villa game.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Slim » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:03 am

Well we already know that 6th will be a Europa place and 7th looks nailed on, someone said Portsmouth hadn't put forward registration for Europe next season and I think the rest of the teams in the comp will finish in the top 7 anyway. So in terms of pure math, we are 7 points from an absolute guarantee.

I think City have to be considered favourites for Champions League right now, all our competition for 4th is still in a cup competition so their focus won't entirely be on the league. Spurs have a god awful run and both they and Villa have to face City at Eastlands and could well be that "six pointer" the commentators love. Liverpool have a considerable easier run, but still in Europa and have played one more game than City, potentially 7 points behind with only 5 to play. I think if they slip up once they will be fucked and one of their games could possibly be the game Chelsea win the league.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Vhero » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:07 am

Slim wrote:Well we already know that 6th will be a Europa place and 7th looks nailed on, someone said Portsmouth hadn't put forward registration for Europe next season and I think the rest of the teams in the comp will finish in the top 7 anyway. So in terms of pure math, we are 7 points from an absolute guarantee.

I think City have to be considered favourites for Champions League right now, all our competition for 4th is still in a cup competition so their focus won't entirely be on the league. Spurs have a god awful run and both they and Villa have to face City at Eastlands and could well be that "six pointer" the commentators love. Liverpool have a considerable easier run, but still in Europa and have played one more game than City, potentially 7 points behind with only 5 to play. I think if they slip up once they will be fucked and one of their games could possibly be the game Chelsea win the league.

As long as we win 4 of our 6 remaining matches the scouse wont get a sniff as that nets us 71 points if the scouse win remainder of there matches thats 70 points. So we are allowed 2 slip ups in the run to 4th.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Moonchesteri » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:09 am

Slim wrote:Well we already know that 6th will be a Europa place and 7th looks nailed on, someone said Portsmouth hadn't put forward registration for Europe next season and I think the rest of the teams in the comp will finish in the top 7 anyway. So in terms of pure math, we are 7 points from an absolute guarantee.

What if Fulham win the Europa LEague? Surely they will get an automatic place in next year's competition as well?
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby Slim » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:11 am

Vhero wrote:

As long as we win 4 of our 6 remaining matches the scouse wont get a sniff as that nets us 71 points if the scouse win remainder of there matches thats 70 points. So we are allowed 2 slip ups in the run to 4th.

Hmmm, I said if THEY, meaning LIVERPOOL slip up once....not us, learn to fucking read. Weren't you leaving the board? I seem to remember we all agreed you would.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Vhero » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:13 am

Slim wrote:
Vhero wrote:

Hmmm, I said if THEY, meaning LIVERPOOL slip up once....not us, learn to fucking read. Weren't you leaving the board? I seem to remember we all agreed you would.

I did read I was just adding on mate I wasn't arguing jesus christ calm down! I did read it FFS... You wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?? I was also pointing out a fact that not many people may have realised so just calm down man I got no beef with you..
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Slim » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:17 am

Vhero wrote:
Slim wrote:
Vhero wrote:

I did read I was just adding on mate I wasn't arguing jesus christ calm down! I did read it FFS... You wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?? I was also pointing out a fact that not many people may have realised so just calm down man I got no beef with you..

So add to the fucking thread without quoting me then fuckwit, you quote and it's an implication that you are responding to the post rather than adding to the thread.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:19 am

Slim wrote:
Vhero wrote:
Slim wrote:
Vhero wrote:

So add to the fucking thread without quoting me then fuckwit, you quote and it's an implication that you are responding to the post rather than adding to the thread.

Ahhhh the cunt returns.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:01 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Ahhhh the cunt returns.

Beautiful. Now all we need is you stop using recreational drugs, get a haircut and get back posting with CAPS LOCK ON.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby john@staustell » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:02 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:

What if Fulham win the Europa LEague? Surely they will get an automatic place in next year's competition as well?

The winner gets an automatic place but it doesn´t affect that country´s other places - it´s in addition.

I like the idea that if we win 4 we´ve got it. Dippers are our only rivals as they are hitting form with Torres back. Aston Villa are doing the usual, predicted implosion, amid strong manager discontent rumours, and Spuds will lose 4 in Arse, Scum, Chelski and us.

As Liverpool are now focussed on the Waffa, leading to insane decisions like removing Torres at Brum, clearly costing them 2 points with N´Gog´s uselessness, it may just be less of a target than we thought points-wise.

Talking about a guaranteed WAFFA spot shows little faith or imagination IMHO!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Bingo Lewis » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:16 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Slim wrote:

Ahhhh the cunt returns.

Its fantastic. He just doesn't hold back at all.
I'd love to see if he's really like that face to face though. I'd be thoroughly disappointed if not.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:22 pm

john@staustell wrote:
Moonchesteri wrote:

The winner gets an automatic place but it doesn´t affect that country´s other places - it´s in addition.

I like the idea that if we win 4 we´ve got it. Dippers are our only rivals as they are hitting form with Torres back. Aston Villa are doing the usual, predicted implosion, amid strong manager discontent rumours, and Spuds will lose 4 in Arse, Scum, Chelski and us.

As Liverpool are now focussed on the Waffa, leading to insane decisions like removing Torres at Brum, clearly costing them 2 points with N´Gog´s uselessness, it may just be less of a target than we thought points-wise.

Do you really think they have thrown their lot in for the Europa League. If so they are bloody insane, their financial lives depend on CL qualification and I cannot believe they have given up already. They are capable of winning all their remaining games including Chelsea, and should be going full tilt at it. I think they are rank outsiders given their form this year, but to say they have given up I just dont believe
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby john@staustell » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:38 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
john@staustell wrote:
Moonchesteri wrote:

Do you really think they have thrown their lot in for the Europa League. If so they are bloody insane, their financial lives depend on CL qualification and I cannot believe they have given up already. They are capable of winning all their remaining games including Chelsea, and should be going full tilt at it. I think they are rank outsiders given their form this year, but to say they have given up I just dont believe

I wouldn´t have until last Sunday mate. You only had to see Gerard´s face when Torres was hooked. N´Gog missed three sitters (for Torres) and I fear they would´ve won that match quite comfortably.

Then again it could just be that Rafa is delusional and completely detached from reality - psychotic in fact!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Slim » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:28 pm

They aren't committing to it anymore than they would if they were in the FA Cup on Champions League, top sides like Liverpool(and they are still pretending to be) are geared towards a heavy end of season schedule and the Europa League shouldn't slow them down that much. Villa were a perfect example of a team not ready for the late season last year where they even collapsed out of the Europa and still couldn't find the reserves needed to push themselves over the line into the Champions League.

I think this played a part in our exit from the domestic cups this season and why Mancini didn't seem too bothered we were knocked out. And now I hope(and pray) that he proves to be the master strategist and has saved our boys legs to make the late season push.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:52 pm

Slim wrote:They aren't committing to it anymore than they would if they were in the FA Cup on Champions League, top sides like Liverpool(and they are still pretending to be) are geared towards a heavy end of season schedule and the Europa League shouldn't slow them down that much. Villa were a perfect example of a team not ready for the late season last year where they even collapsed out of the Europa and still couldn't find the reserves needed to push themselves over the line into the Champions League.

I think this played a part in our exit from the domestic cups this season and why Mancini didn't seem too bothered we were knocked out. And now I hope(and pray) that he proves to be the master strategist and has saved our boys legs to make the late season push.

Our squad should be just about the strongest in the country for a clear, cup free, end of season run, especially with Ade/RSC having played so little during the season. Now is a good time for both to earn their money as well as Ireland if we need him when he comes back.

One worry I've got though is the rags & Arsenal possibly not doing the business v Spurs. Barca's spectacular football masked how utterly shite Arsenal were imo & they'll have to play a lot better away at the lane. Also, the rags will raise their game v us but are themselves hanging on by the skin of their teeth & totally dependant on Shreck, who'll probably play v us even if it finishes him. Last few games have made me wonder about both v a motivated Spurs team.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby dazlebluefrog » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:06 pm

i'm with johnpb78 on this, thoses scouse scum can win all there games left ,only Burnley and Hull away ,fulham,West ham ,Chelski at home the only slip is maybe Chelski maybe a draw so that will give them 68 or 70 pts total
dazlebluefrog
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Grenoble fc38

Return to The Maine Football forum