After match thoughts

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: After match thoughts

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:58 pm

There were signs today that Ade was actually developing an understanding with Tevez although both were guilty of occasional greediness. The workrate of the front 4 was superb & although we've struggled against packed defences, I thought we always looked like scoring today even at 0-0. I felt confident we'd get one. Mancini got the balance just right.

It's good that we've kicked all the tactical bollocks into touch & gone back to our original formation against these lesser teams but it shouldn't paper over the fact that we're still giving teams a chance at the back. For that reason, I don't mind if Mancini adopts a more cautious approach v rags & Arsenal. They both desperately need to beat us, so if we draw them onto us, gaps will appear for us to hit them on the break. If we play with caution but all the time actively looking looking to get men forward on the break whenever possible, I think we have a chance of beating the pair of them.

We were too negative in the league cup game & fucked it up badly imo but a similar approach, (getting men behind the ball) but with more emphasis on getting forward at pace when we win it, could be just the job. Like the 2nd half v Chelsea rather than the 1st.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Dameerto » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:15 am

Fantastic play by our attack (as well as the team as a whole) - just about the only area that still needs work is the play between AJ and Ade particularly when AJ is on the right, we can get sooo much more from it when they get ont he same wavelength, right now it reminds me of preseason where the passes/thinking were a yard or two off.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby mcfc1632 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:52 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
bluej wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Mark ( Blue Army ) wrote:No he's on 4 still that's the stats after todays game.

Well you are wrong.

Who put that pass for Ade's last goal by the way?

BBC said it was Given, and thinking back to the goal I can't remember who it was!

AJ.

....pretty sure it was Barry
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Colin the King » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:09 am

Really enjoyed our performance today. In the last two games it's been a strange feeling- being well in front at half time and being able to just soak in and enjoy the football on offer in the second. Obviously scoring 14 in our last 3 is fantastic, but if we were winning 2-1 and passing, moving and creating chances in the manner we've been doing recently I wouldn't mind. The 90 minutes just seemed to fly past. Mancini's first few games were effective, but not very entertaining and I don't think I was alone in being concerned that would be our style of play permanently- but the performances against Chelsea, Fulham, Burnley and Birmingham today prove exactly what we're capable of.

Early on, we looked a bit shaky defensively and Touré had a few dodgy moments but mostly we were fine. Garrido's positioning for their goal was...well, Sunday league really but thankfully we took control of the game straight away and it was insignificant. Kompany was classy again and Ned's performance speaks for itself...the goal(s) get the headlines but some of his interceptions and tackles were first class. From a defensive point of view, he was the best of the lot today.

Vieira's injury might have been serendipity because we looked really dominant in the middle of the park for most of the game. de Jong was sensible enough not to overreact or commit to anything and just mopped up quietly, and Barry was outstanding. He just oozed class and confidence today. He made it look like he had all the time in the world and his control was perfect even in tight spaces. Short and long distance passing, inch perfect, defensive duties carried out well. More of that please. Johnson was excellent again, started off quietly but grew in confidence as the game went on and some of his skills were audacious. His ability to get in and out of crowded areas and into the box are a joy to behold- getting shot of Robinho to bring this kid in was a brilliant move.

Not much needs to be said about up top...Ade was the pick of the bunch for me but Bellamy ran himself into the ground again and got out his box of tricks which is a side you don't often see...lot of backheels and stepovers. Entertaining stuff, and his run for the third goal was brilliant. Tevez was outstanding off the ball, pressing and winning the ball back in dangerous areas and basically making it easier for the other 10 payers. Selfless as always.

We couldn't have asked for a better time for this run of goals and top form to arrive. Spurs are so inconsistent, Liverpool seem to have lost the plot and Villa are going through their annual March-May slump. The games we have left are tough, sure, but as long as we do no worse than the others, Champions League football is coming to Eastlands. It's ours to throw away.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby john68 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:24 am

As always Young Eoin, an excellent resume and well worth the read. BTW where were you...you were missed and I worry about my errant children...:-) Hope all is well mate.

Amidst all the very positive stuff and there was plenty of that to celebrate, I did note that on a couple of phases of the game. we allowed ourselves to be pressed back with the old problem returning of our midfield sitting far too deep in defence. This stretched the gap between midfield and forwards, causing us to revert to lumping the ball upfield, losing possession and allowing Brum to come at us again immediately.

We did rectify this quite quickly, got the ball back on the floor and gained control again, but it did cause us a few problems we needn't have had.

All in all though, a very satisfactory performance against a very well organised and well drilled side, who made us work hard for what we got for long periods. In the end, our class paid off.

BRING ON THE RAGS...WHO ARE THE UNDERDOGS?
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Grob » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:19 am

Socrates wrote:
Grob wrote:Lots of players had good individual games and the players nitted well as a team. The front 4 are comfotable now playing together and getting better. The formation is no longer being mindlessly changed from minute to minute,game to game and the play now looks consistant.

The team is settled and the results are coming. You would have expected this kind of thing to happen eventually with the squad of players we have. The manager was bound to get it right eventually.

it wasn't mindless, he was working it out. At better than 2 points a game that isn't bad for a transitional period while working it out don't you think?

I felt he overdid it. He got with the program eventually (dropped the fanies, started to show consistancy in team selection), he just needed to stop being cautious. Now I like him.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:31 am

Colin the King wrote:Vieira's injury might have been serendipity because we looked really dominant in the middle of the park for most of the game.

Was thinking exactly the same myself but never thought to use 'serendipity'. Nice work!

If he plays Vieira v rags it should be in addition to DeJong & Barry rather than as a replacement for one of them imo.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum