Players left on bench Sunday

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Players left on bench Sunday

Postby Florida Blue » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:04 am

Nielsen, Boyata, Ibrahim, Kay

And just add Cunningham to that group...

There are 5 players with less than 10 total games between them played on the first team. It says a lot about the academy, and the fact we are on the verge of the CL and all but RSC and SWP on our bench are fresh out of the academy (well except Nielsen technically, but how many teams can claim a player from the Faroe Islands). Great experience and honor given to them.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Re: Players left on bench Sunday

Postby King Kev » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:56 am

It's fantastic that our academy continues to churn out players who are deemed to be good enough to be included in the first team squad. Credit should be given to Mancini for giving so many of them their chance too.

However, looking at our bench yesterday underlines the need to reinforce our squad for next season. Whilst it is great to have 1 or 2 young inexperienced lads on the bench we will need more senior players when we are also competing in Europe.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby CityGer » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:07 am

It's good to see and Bobby doesn't seem to be scared to pitch them in, I think yesterday was more out of necessity though. Just as thought provoking is the number and quality of players that were unavailable yesterday :

Richards
Lescott
Bridge
Sylvinho
Zabba
Ireland
Vieira
Petrov
Johnson

Throw in a few of the lads that are out on loan, Hart, Weiss, Robbie, Boj... and that is a group of players who could easily compete in the top half of the premiership. We have got real strength in depth and just need need to up the quality in some key areas of the squad.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:08 am

Florida Blue wrote:Nielsen, Boyata, Ibrahim, Kay

There are 5 players with less than 10 total games between them played on the first team. It says a lot about the academy, and the fact we are on the verge of the CL and all but RSC and SWP on our bench are fresh out of the academy (well except Nielsen technically, but how many teams can claim a player from the Faroe Islands). Great experience and honor given to them.

Nielsen's from Academy as well.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby john@staustell » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:47 am

CityGer wrote:It's good to see and Bobby doesn't seem to be scared to pitch them in, I think yesterday was more out of necessity though. Just as thought provoking is the number and quality of players that were unavailable yesterday :

Richards
Lescott
Bridge
Sylvinho
Zabba
Ireland
Vieira
Petrov
Johnson

Throw in a few of the lads that are out on loan, Hart, Weiss, Robbie, Boj... and that is a group of players who could easily compete in the top half of the premiership. We have got real strength in depth and just need need to up the quality in some key areas of the squad.

Can´t help thinking if Scum or the Dippers had that number unavailable you´d never hear the end of it. Never any mention in City commentaries though.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Grob » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:33 am

I would much rather see a bench full of hungry, up and coming, talented players than a bench full of journeymen.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Mike J » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:44 am

ruining football!!
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:47 am

CityGer wrote:It's good to see and Bobby doesn't seem to be scared to pitch them in, I think yesterday was more out of necessity though. Just as thought provoking is the number and quality of players that were unavailable yesterday :

Richards
Lescott
Bridge
Sylvinho
Zabba
Ireland
Vieira
Petrov
Johnson

--------------------------HART-------------------------
--ZABBA---RICHARDS--------LESCOTT-----BRIDGE-
---------------VIERIA-----------SYLVINHO------------
-------JOHNSON-------IRELAND-------PETROV-----
---------------------ROBINHO-------------------------

I think our injuried and AWOL 11 could finish the league in about 10th place with this formation.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Florida Blue » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:42 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

Well yes, but he was bought from, was it Blackburn? So he was not truly born and raised at City, just raised, thus the "technically" reference.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Vhero » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:16 pm

Bench will look differn't this weekend though
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:43 pm

Florida Blue wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

Well yes, but he was bought from, was it Blackburn? So he was not truly born and raised at City, just raised, thus the "technically" reference.

I don't think any of them are born City! Boyata's from Belgium, Ibrahim from Norway, Cunningham's from Ireland!
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Original Dub » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:50 pm

MaineRoadMemories wrote:

Richards
Lescott
Bridge
Sylvinho
Zabba
Ireland
Vieira
Petrov
Johnson

--------------------------HART-------------------------
--ZABBA---RICHARDS--------LESCOTT-----BRIDGE-
---------------VIERIA-----------SYLVINHO------------
-------JOHNSON-------IRELAND-------PETROV-----
---------------------ROBINHO-------------------------

I think our injuried and AWOL 11 could finish the league in about 10th place with this formation.

That is not a bad side!
Original Dub

Return to The Maine Football forum