9 Points away from our ascent(imo).

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

9 Points away from our ascent(imo).

Postby gillie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:08 pm

To world football domination for years to come.71pts gets us CL imo and all the superstar players we craved when the Shiekh first took over our great club.We will achieve it and they will come.Thoughts.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Re: 9 Points away from our ascent(imo).

Postby SORTED » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:14 pm

gillie wrote:To world football domination for years to come.71pts gets us CL imo and all the superstar players we craved when the Shiekh first took over our great club.We will achieve it and they will come.Thoughts.

All the time mate...and those that don't involve sex certainly include dreaming about the day when we seal that fourth spot!

The blue revolution is primed to begin it's ascent.
SORTED
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:40 pm

i'm not convinced that we need that many new superstar players. we need to continue to improve and get slightly more quality in depth. But we have ( and i firmly believe they will come good ) Vlad Wiess, Joe Hart, Boyata, Magic Johnson, Stevie Ireland.

I would think 2 or 3 buys would be enough but not necessarily superstars already.. they can become that at City
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby TonyM » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:10 am

I agree. I think the media assume that we'll go spending like mad once we get 4th but I would have thought that the more sensible thing to do would be to just get a couple of "proven" players and a couple of "promising" players in, develope our young players and get our squad used to playing in a distinctively City style (every top team needs one IMO).

If we don't get 4th then it'd make sense to me to spend big to ensure we do next time.

Yaya Toure and McCarthy (from Wigan) would be amongst the few brought in if it twas me.
TonyM
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:26 am

I don't think people quite understand how far away we are materialwise from best teams in the world. I repeat what I said on another thread. It will take another 200m easy to get us to top of the world.

Regarding first post, i agree that nine points will do it but will demand sweat and tears looking at our fixture list.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Tokyo Blue » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:27 am

brite blu sky wrote:i'm not convinced that we need that many new superstar players. we need to continue to improve and get slightly more quality in depth. But we have ( and i firmly believe they will come good ) Vlad Wiess, Joe Hart, Boyata, Magic Johnson, Stevie Ireland.

I would think 2 or 3 buys would be enough but not necessarily superstars already.. they can become that at City

Yes. For so many reasons, up-and-coming players to be made into megastars are the way forward. We do not need to bring rafts of players in and upset the balance of the team.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Patrick » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:31 am

We are on a great run at the moment but the last nine points were a lot easier than the next nine considering the opposition. It would be the greatest thing that has happened to city in 30 years if we finish 4th. I can't remember feeling this excited since dickov slid about north London on his knees
Standing in the Naughty Corner since 1961
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby Curlie » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:17 pm

3 more wins will def secure it.
We might even get away with 2 wins and a draw, the way the run its are set up.
City are coming to get you!
Curlie
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Nige

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:40 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:I don't think people quite understand how far away we are materialwise from best teams in the world. I repeat what I said on another thread. It will take another 200m easy to get us to top of the world.

Regarding first post, i agree that nine points will do it but will demand sweat and tears looking at our fixture list.

i would question that anyone really knows how good this current squad is, that isn't to say we dont have weak areas or lack of world class cover. The fact that it is a newish squad and having two managers in one season is more of a brake on progress than a lot of people seem to be prepared to acknowledge.

Lets see if we continue to improve over the next 5 and see where we are. It may well turn out that the performances since playing better as a team, if they had been projected back over the season would have us right in the title mix.

If you understand what i am trying to say, that if we had been an established coherent team since day 1, we would probably be looking at us scrapping for the Prem title right now. That my opinion anyway
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Vhero » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:13 pm

Patrick wrote:We are on a great run at the moment but the last nine points were a lot easier than the next nine considering the opposition. It would be the greatest thing that has happened to city in 30 years if we finish 4th. I can't remember feeling this excited since dickov slid about north London on his knees

Saying that though we had a lot better luck this season against the tougher teams than the lower teams. It's been the lower teams that's troubled us most. We beat arsenal a good few times already this season and the rags at home already. I think we have the best record against the top 4 this season so far don't we? Outside the top 4 teams of course...
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby patrickblue » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:25 pm

Vhero wrote:
Patrick wrote:We are on a great run at the moment but the last nine points were a lot easier than the next nine considering the opposition. It would be the greatest thing that has happened to city in 30 years if we finish 4th. I can't remember feeling this excited since dickov slid about north London on his knees

Saying that though we had a lot better luck this season against the tougher teams than the lower teams. It's been the lower teams that's troubled us most. We beat arsenal a good few times already this season and the rags at home already. I think we have the best record against the top 4 this season so far don't we? Outside the top 4 teams of course...

By a mile. In fact I think we probably have the best record including the top 4. Spuds have one of the worst.

Edit; Thought I'd check. We're second to Chelsea who have played 5 and won them all. (but then we've had 6 points off them)

City played 6 - 11 points
Arse played 6 - 6 points
scum played 6 - 9 points
liverpool played 5 -3 points
Chelsea played 5 -15 points

http://www.statbunker.com/football/btb/ ... atType=AG4
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby giokingkladze » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:35 pm

patrickblue wrote:
Vhero wrote:

By a mile. In fact I think we probably have the best record including the top 4. Spuds have one of the worst.

Edit; Thought I'd check. We're second to Chelsea who have played 5 and won them all. (but then we've had 6 points off them)

Arse played 6 - 6 points
scum played 6 - 9 points

If you add us to those four however, and our double over Chelsea, it puts us on 17 points and them still 15... a telling stat.

I think if we get fourth, we'll spend roughly £100m in the summer on just 3 or 4 players. Same again next summer and we'll be a match for anyone
giokingkladze
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Gio

Postby patrickblue » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:49 pm

giokingkladze wrote:
patrickblue wrote:
Vhero wrote:

Arse played 6 - 6 points
scum played 6 - 9 points

If you add us to those four however, and our double over Chelsea, it puts us on 17 points and them still 15... a telling stat.

I think if we get fourth, we'll spend roughly £100m in the summer on just 3 or 4 players. Same again next summer and we'll be a match for anyone

only if we beat scum and arse would we be on 17, but still a telling stat

Yes, if you imagine us as part of a big 5 it would look like this.

Arse played 7 - 6 points
scum played 7 - 12 points
liverpool played 7 - 5 points
Chelsea played 7 -15 points
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby giokingkladze » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:53 pm

patrickblue wrote:
giokingkladze wrote:

Arse played 7 - 6 points

Ah right, my mistake, I thought you'd not included each of the 'big 4's' results against us
giokingkladze
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Gio

Postby patrickblue » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:03 pm

giokingkladze wrote:
patrickblue wrote:
giokingkladze wrote:

Arse played 7 - 6 points

Ah right, my mistake, I thought you'd not included each of the 'big 4's' results against us

Which lead me to the fact that if we had beaten Red Scouse when we should have in those two draws we'd have 15 too.
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Return to The Maine Football forum