Pompey plan Europe appeal

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Pompey plan Europe appeal

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:04 am

Portsmouth are planning to appeal to the Football Assocation in a bid to secure a Uefa club licence to play in Europe next season.

In booking their place in the FA Cup final against Chelsea, the relegated outfit qualified for European competition next term.

However, due to their dire financial plight it is unsure if Pompey will be allowed to take their place in the Europa League.

With Chelsea certain to qualify for next season's UEFA Champions League, it means Portsmouth are entitled to claim the Europa League place usually awarded to the FA Cup winners.

But with the club in administration they are not allowed to apply for a required Uefa licence.

However, Portsmouth administrator Andrew Andronikou has indicated they will appeal to the FA in a bid to be awarded the authorisation to allow them to play in Europe next term.

"I think it is vitally important we explore all possibilities of getting the club into Europe," Andronikou told Sky Sports News.

"It speaks for itself, it will be a fantastic achievement for the club to play in Europe next year and obviously make it a more attractive proposition for any interested party."

Andronikou confirmed Portsmouth did not apply for the Uefa licence before 1st March deadline due to the club's financial problems.

"I think the fundamental reason [for not applying for the licence] was that it had not had its accounts filed by then.

"It is the year ending May 2009 accounts and although they had been audited they had not been filed."

Asked if he was confident of winning the appeal, Andronikou said: "No I am not confident. Obviously we are looking at the situation, I think we certainly have an uphill struggle in terms of making the appeal but nonetheless we will try."

Andronikou also revealed incoming David Lampitt will have no input on the appeal as he is on Uefa's club licence committee and the issue would be a clash of interests for all parties.

"I think in this situation he will have a conflict of interests," noted Andronikou

"We will follow the proper channels and I don't think David will have an input into our application."

Andronikou also claimed in the wake of their win over Tottenham a number of other groups have expressed an interest in taking over the club.

"We are in discussions with one party as you know, but we have had a number of other calls obviously as a result of the club's success yesterday. We are exploring all possibilities," concluded Andronikou.

skysports.com
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Pompey plan Europe appeal

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:46 am

I was fully expecting that and I think they will be granted the permission in the end.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Moonchesteri » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:04 am

Will be funny to see a Championship side in the Europa League!
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Scatman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:13 am

Moonchesteri wrote:Will be funny to see a Championship side in the Europa League!

Didn't Millwall do it the other year?
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Vhero » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:27 am

Not gonna happen too many benefactors not going there way they were in administration and they will be relegated. I don't think the FA will want them there plus it means taking it off a team like Everton who earned it also which isn't fair. I can't see them getting it.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby ross.mcfc » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:35 am

UEFA have been quite tight on clubs and there finances so it would go against everything they preach by letting Pompy in.

Im not sure if I was a Pompy fan I would want to be there either. You play 50+ games in that league. Plus domestic club tournaments. If Pompy dont get a new owner it it vital they get promoted next year it it maybe curtains for them. They should concentrate on the league.

Mind you there fixture list might be quite funny next year

Home to Swindon - Sat
Away to Athletico Madrid - Thurs
Home to Doncaster - Sunday.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:15 am

Saw this story on SSN yesterday and wouldn't be surprised if they got no change out of Uefa. Do they want a cash strapped outfit like Pompey, who flirted with going bump, in their competition? I doubt it. Not enough to bypass the rules for them anyway.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Moonchesteri » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:16 am

Vhero wrote:Not gonna happen too many benefactors not going there way they were in administration and they will be relegated. I don't think the FA will want them there plus it means taking it off a team like Everton who earned it also which isn't fair. I can't see them getting it.

I'd like to think Pompey have earned it too. They have afterall made it to the FA Cup Final. And I like the fact you actually get something for succeeding in domestic cups.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby Slim » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:47 pm

Surely UEFA can't allow a club in administration a European license, there were some 15 clubs who qualified last season through their own domestic leagues who were declined admission due to financial situations and ground standards, that shithole they play in must mean they fail on two fronts.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:51 pm

Slim wrote:Surely UEFA can't allow a club in administration a European license, there were some 15 clubs who qualified last season through their own domestic leagues who were declined admission due to financial situations and ground standards, that shithole they play in must mean they fail on two fronts.

Don't see how Platini & co can spout all the bullshit about financial constraints & then allow Portsmouth in. Re the ground though; they played in Europe there a couple of seasons ago.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Return to The Maine Football forum