We're peaking at the right time, says Gareth

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

We're peaking at the right time, says Gareth

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:26 pm

Gareth Barry reckons that City have hit peak form at just the perfect time in the season.

The Blues are approaching Saturday's sell-out home derby having knocked in 14 goals in the course of three straight wins that have lifted them into fourth place in the table.

Last June's signing of the England international was the first of a host of big-name buys, and the former Villa man thinks that the benefits of a revamped and experienced squad are showing themselves at just the right time.

"It was always going to be tough at the start," says Gareth, "it was never going to happen overnight no matter who we signed. We have top class players in the dressing room, and I think it's showing now that we are playing so well together.

"We've gelled as a squad at the right
time and we're hitting the right notes
just when we need to. We're finishing
the season strongly, and we'll want to
carry on at the start of next season in
the same sort of form."

Roberto Mancini has a few options to consider for the weekend, with Pablo Zabaleta back from suspension and no new injuries to contend with from the win over Birmingham. For Gareth, the squad's form and availability are just what's needed with five games of the campaign to go.

"At the end of the season you do need as many people fit as you can because it's such a long season," he adds. "You need guys to be at the top of their games and the Manager needs a full squad to choose from. We've got a few players coming back and the Manager has a bit of a headache when it comes to selection, which is perfect for this stage of the season.

"Having the one game a week is ideal for the Manager. We're putting it in during training, we're getting the rewards during the games, and we're getting the rest between games as well as the Manager having the time to prepare. We'd have loved to have been in cup competitions, playing two games a week, but because we're not it's really benefitting us at the moment."

Gareth was rested for the first of City's current three-game winning streak, but he says that he and the whole squad appreciate careful handling with such a crucial phase of the season about to start.

"No-one wants to be out of the side, and I'm always disappointed if I'm not picked," he admits, "but after the two games where I've been rested my form has really picked up. You have to be experienced and realise that every now and again you have to take a back seat.

"It benefits you and the team, which is the most important thing. It's a squad thing nowadays, especially in the Premier League because of the pace of the game."

mcfc.co.uk
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: We're peaking at the right time, says Gareth

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:27 pm

Good to know.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby s1ty m » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:07 pm

Well, he has a stormer v brum, by far and away his best performace for us. All power to you Gazza Bazza.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby brite blu sky » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:29 am

i agree with Barry. i think it is a difficult time for City fans both old and younger.. we so desperately want to know that we have shaken the typical tag.. we have had a kind of stuttering season with just glimpses and the odd 20mins of great football from the lads. Recent struggles against the likes of Stoke and the Toffees left a lot of people wondering if we are just not going to get it together. But in truth we have seen a defensive solidity develop very slowly and recently we have seen the team click in a way it hasn't yet done. Imo that is progress and at a time when it is the most important we appear to be gelling into a team. Just look at the top 6 sides.

Chelsea - definately the most solid out of the bunch, had a blip after we took the piss. Not amazing but still solid.
Arsenal - were ok when everyone was fit, but only ok. now they are going backwards if anything
Rags - proven 1 player team, dont look very good, short on ideas and skill and have struggled all season, now going backwards
City - mixed season lacking any coherence but very slowly improving, now coming into form and getting better and confidence.
Spurs - had an early form period and since have been more ticking over than anything, now looking weaker
Pool - dont really need to say anything here, they are not very good and havent improved at all.

Out of that lot there is only City that has got the traditional coming good at the business end of the season, Chelsea are secure enough but not improving or showing anything outstanding.

I would point out as well that for City it is not a matter of coming in and out of form, we havent had any form, we havent really had a team all season.. so for us this is the first time we have got to be a team. imo there is a big difference between that and say Chelsea struggling to recapture their form, having lost it. We never had it to lose, we have only just arrived there, so we wont just let it go.

Barry recognises this when he states that it is not only about this season.. and that city want to carry on and start next season in the same mood. City are not just looking at getting the coveted CL spot, they are looking to make sure that the other top teams know full well that City are here and they are as good as if not considerably better than them.

We will want to try and achieve a home record equivalent to the team that takes the title.. ie not losing whole seasons at a time. Our players know that we are capable of doing that and it has only been the gelling thing that has undermined their confidence so far. they know that if they start a season as a proper team and to some extent on form then there will be no stopping them and they will be challenging for top spot.
Someone started a thread a while back saying we may yet thank Everton.. and i think that is spot on, we got a footballing lesson from the Toffees and one we will not have forgotten even next season, that in my view is a good thing.

As for this Sat, the rags are bricking whole blocks of flats, already wondering about how they can offload Berbatov and scratching their heads about what they are going to do about a distinctly average midfield and being a one player team.

I know a lot of fans are worried about false dawns etc, or getting ahead of ourselves, i am thinking that this team knows this and that they have to perform as a team. Things have changed and although every game will be as tough as boots, we are up to the job.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Vhero » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:52 am

I agree we are gelling the only problem I see is if we hit fourth the team will have a minor shake up as no doubt a few players will be brought in to help our European/title hopes. Nothing like at the beginning of this season of course but I reckon we can still get through it easily enough if we get some easy enough games to start with.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby brite blu sky » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:16 pm

true about new players coming in.. we're not really expecting that many though, so if the team as is is functioning well, then the newbies can be introduced as they settle in. We would be building from something solid not trying to scrabble around quickly to get a team playing together, big dif imo.

If you also consider that teams like Chelsea are going to be wondering what they have to do also.. we trashed them twice and may yet be better when we meet next season.. i can imagine there are a number of people in the Chelsea hierarchy who are already fretting about that. Same goes for the rags and Arsenal. They all know they are going to have to improve fast or we will beat them.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Return to The Maine Football forum