Johnson for England squad

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Johnson for England squad

Postby Blue2 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:51 am

England coach Fabio Capello has hinted he may call up Manchester City winger Adam Johnson ahead of the World Cup.

The 22-year-old, who is yet to feature in an England squad, has impressed on City's right flank since making a £7m move from Middlesbrough in January.

With David Beckham and Aaron Lennon injured, Capello may hand Johnson his debut in May's friendly against Mexico.

"Johnson has caught my eye," said the Italian. "Now it's important he gets some international experience."

City have operated left-footed Johnson on the right of midfield and he has looked assured in his 11 appearances for the Eastlands club.

606: DEBATE
Should Capello hand Johnson a call-up ahead of the World Cup?
"He has come up from the Championship at Middlesbrough, where he played in a different position, and he has done well with Manchester City," Capello added.

Sunderland-born Johnson, who came through Middlesbrough's academy, scored his first goal for City in March, a stunning last-minute equaliser against Sunderland at the Stadium of Light.

"I was playing in the Championship in January and now people are talking about me playing for England, just over a short period of time," Johnson told the BBC's Football Focus programme.

"But you've got to keep your feet on the ground and not get too carried with stuff like that.

"It's obviously nice hearing it, everyone praising you and stuff like that, but I know I'm still young and I haven't really proved anything yet - I just want to push on and try and be the best player I can be."

Capello names his 30-man provisional squad for the World Cup on 16 May ahead of the friendlies against Mexico on 24 May and Japan six days later.
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Hanging
My favourite player is: Aguerooooooooooooooo

Re: Johnson for England squad

Postby Manx Blue » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:25 am

Get him in as far as I'm concerned. Two footed and comfortable of either wing, he could be a valuable addition
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Curlie » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:35 am

SWP could be the one to make room
City are coming to get you!
Curlie
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Nige

Postby Dubciteh » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:59 am

Hope not, build him up so you can knock him down!! Rather he just concentrated on city....
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Return to The Maine Football forum