Points thrown away

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Points thrown away

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:10 pm

Just thought back to all the drawn matches this season and the points we threw away at home matches againts relagtion teams which we could have and should have won and this is how it looks:

City- Burnely 2 points
City-Hull 2
City- Fulham 2
Add to that the 2 matches against the Rags where we should have had at least 2 points for draws had we not lost both in the last minute of injury time.
That's 8 points that could have been easily ours and we would now be sitting pretty at 71 points and not having to worry about our last 3 matches. If only !!
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Re: Points thrown away

Postby spiv » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:15 pm

The Burnley and Hull draws were definately the killers, like you say 2 relegated teams took points off us but apart from the rags we have done well against top 4 teams.
spiv
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: .

Postby Diggerman » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:24 pm

Those games happen to every club every season, Spuds will be looking at home and away defeats to Wolves and sayin the same thing. We wouldn't necessarily have expected 6 points from Chelsea at this stage in our development so its all if's and but's.
Diggerman
Darius Vassell's Composure

Postby shawzy » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:28 pm

I was also thinking about the same thing last night..I know theres no point moaning about it now, but it does wind me up abit.
Heres a few more to reflect on lol.
Wigan away 1-1
Brum away 0-0
Bolton away 3-3
Stoke away 1-1

I know we cant win every friggin game but only 4 points from the games above is pretty dire imo.
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:34 pm

Spurs, Villa, Liverpool could all point to similar results of games when they didn't play well or suffered an unlucky bounce or a bad decision. Then there's U****d at Burnley back in August. Look at Chelsea, even: they had a game when they were 1-0 up at home coming up to half time, cruising against a side that had shown almost nothing, they should have made it 2-0 and end of story, but instead the ball got hoofed upfield and a careless slip put the away team's striker through on goal to tie it up. Who'd have thought those lucky visitors would go on to win that game 4-1?
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

Postby Diggerman » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:36 pm

BobbyJ1956 wrote:Spurs, Villa, Liverpool could all point to similar results of games when they didn't play well or suffered an unlucky bounce or a bad decision. Then there's U****d at Burnley back in August. Look at Chelsea, even: they had a game when they were 1-0 up at home coming up to half time, cruising against a side that had shown almost nothing, they should have made it 2-0 and end of story, but instead the ball got hoofed upfield and a careless slip put the away team's striker through on goal to tie it up. Who'd have thought those lucky visitors would go on to win that game 4-1?

Or even 4-2!!
Diggerman
Darius Vassell's Composure

Postby Blue Since 76 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:47 pm

you could also look to games at the start of the season where we cruised to a 1-0 lead against Wolves and ended up hanging on. Or Arsenal, where we got battered and won with a flurry of goals.

If we weren't inconsistent, we'd be challenging for the title, rather than 4th. Same every season
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby gillie » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:51 pm

The bottom line though is if we win our last3 games the draws wont even matter and that is a stone cold fact.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Original Dub » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:58 pm

gillie wrote:The bottom line though is if we win our last3 games the draws wont even matter and that is a stone cold fact.

That's it. Folk keep pointing out when we lost fourth spot when the fact is we have two home games and a relatively handly away game.

If we lose it, it will be in the next week and a half and that's it.
Original Dub

Postby ross.mcfc » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:15 pm

Pointless looking back at these results. I am sure Spurs fans are looking back at defeats at home to Wolves and Stoke. Hull fans looking at home results to Burnley and Portsmouth. Arsenal fans wondering about what might have been if they could keep their best players fit.

Win the next 3 games and non of the above matters.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Nick » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:32 pm

I do this every year and it frustrates the fuck out me. Ive not done it this year/ its not bothered me as much YET. Probably because its in our own hands and weve not lost many games.

Although people mention hughes' draws. An AWAY LOSS TO RELAGATED HULL is the worst imo.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Lev Bronstein » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:43 pm

You could look at it a few ways. 2 points in total from Everton, Stoke and Hull, drawing at home from winning positions, last minute winners from the rags. On the other hand, a last minute equaliser away to Sunderland and we aren't going to get six points from Chelsea every season.

I think it's valid to look back at missed opportunities. I'm not one for targets at the begining of the season. As far as I'm concerned you go out to win every game. Sure you might be cautious sometimes but, that's different.

Another post some time back pointed out that next year we need to think about getting another 10-15 points. I think you can look back this year and see where some might have come from:-
Two draws against the Rags +2
Hanging on to a lead at home +6
One extra win v Stoke and Everton +3
That's +11 and doesn't include losing a lead away to Liverpool, a bloodless away performance at Spurs, and improving on away draws at Bolton, Sunderland and Brum (although looking at Brum's season that probably wasn't a bad draw). It still includes the odd silly loss eg away to Hull.

Now I'm not out to blame Hughes, Mancini, the referees or whoever, but there have been chances enough to be pressing for second not fourth. Still, a vast improvement and I think we're on the right lines.
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:50 pm

Is this the 'I've given up already' thread? Fuck me, we're still in with a creditable chance of making 4th, with wins in most of our drawn games, we'd have been looking at 1st!

Not having a go mate, but this is irrelevance if only for irrelevance sake! You could actually say the same for the losses at Spurs or Everton.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Lev Bronstein » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:11 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Is this the 'I've given up already' thread? Fuck me, we're still in with a creditable chance of making 4th, with wins in most of our drawn games, we'd have been looking at 1st!

Not having a go mate, but this is irrelevance if only for irrelevance sake! You could actually say the same for the losses at Spurs or Everton.

No, it's the "We've had a good season, but bloody hell, we've had some dodgy results and we could have done a lot better" thread.
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:25 pm

Lev Bronstein wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Is this the 'I've given up already' thread? Fuck me, we're still in with a creditable chance of making 4th, with wins in most of our drawn games, we'd have been looking at 1st!

No, it's the "We've had a good season, but bloody hell, we've had some dodgy results and we could have done a lot better" thread.

Now that's how I see it, but it must've been the manner of the OP. Forgive me for seeing different!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Slim » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:37 am

I think we have to balance this against points earned that we didn't count on, and IMO these are them.

Points thrown away.
Home
Everton(1pt)
Hull(2pts)
Burnley(2pts)
Fulham(2pts)

Away
Hull(3pts)
Everton(1pt)
Stoke(2pts)
Wigan(2pts)

Points earned but not counted on.
Home
Chelsea(2pts)
Arsenal(2pts)

Away
Liverpool(1pt)
Arsenal(1pt)
Chelsea(3pts)

So overall I think we are down 6 points which we can make up two of against Spurs. Not bad for a team that is entirely changed from two years ago(barring a couple of squad players).
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ruralblue » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:42 am

I have thought about this most days since things hotted up for the push for fourth. However I stop myself right away and try remain positive that we can and do have the capability to get something from our final 3 games.

If we lose out to fourth then yes I will potter over it more but until then, lets get behind the team and Neilson if we have to and remain positive.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby simon12 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:42 am

Slim wrote:I think we have to balance this against points earned that we didn't count on, and IMO these are them.

Points thrown away.
Home
Everton(1pt)
Hull(2pts)
Burnley(2pts)
Fulham(2pts)

Away
Hull(3pts)
Everton(1pt)
Stoke(2pts)
Wigan(2pts)

Points earned but not counted on.
Home
Chelsea(2pts)
Arsenal(2pts)

Away
Liverpool(1pt)
Arsenal(1pt)
Chelsea(3pts)

So overall I think we are down 6 points which we can make up two of against Spurs. Not bad for a team that is entirely changed from two years ago(barring a couple of squad players).

That`s a more balanced overall view. Cheers mate.
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby Patrick » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:35 am

coulda shoulda woulda
Standing in the Naughty Corner since 1961
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel