Playing against a new Keeper

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Playing against a new Keeper

Postby gilford » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:08 am

MHiggi wrote:
HeyMark wrote:
pepsi_dave wrote:
Original Dub wrote:Who was that small keeper we got in on loan before and he had one fantastic game - about 5 years ago I think? Sorry for total vagueness!

With all that accurate info to go on, I have a feeling you're talking about Arnie Arason who played against tottenham in THAT fa cup game where we came from 3 down at half time with thank you joey being sent off as the teams left the pitch for half time! IIRC Arnie pulled off one of the most incredible double saves I've ever seen from a City goalkeeper when the game was at 3-3.

Is that the one you be thinking of?

I think that double save gets way too much credit. The first save was excellent but he only got to the 2nd because poyet got so little power into his header.

I sort of agree, although I think the second save was actually more impressive than the first.. a better keeper would have made the save first time around.

What a match that was, the missus got it me for a gift, watched it so many times!
gilford
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Kun Aguero

Postby john@staustell » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:20 am

btajim wrote:So Fulop arrives to presumably start in Goal against Villa, Spurs and West Ham. Obviously the Goalkeeping crisis is big news in the Premiership (and so is our alleged attempt to get Hart back despite it not being within the T&C of the deal) - but it's got me wondering if opposition sides will use our misfortune to their advantage. i.e. Be more attack minded, shoot from wherever possible to try and guage the new Keeper in between the Sticks etc.

Our new Man is playing in front of a defence he doesn't know and hasn't been playing regularly for Sunderland either.

Anyone?

He's not inexperienced mate. And our defence has kept the ball mostly away from Given in the last 6 months. Give or take the odd slip which gives a goal away.

Unless he decides to make some howlers I dont reckon you'll notice any difference, and I dont think he's noted for them. Screaming will be less high pitched though!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby btajim » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:40 pm

john@staustell wrote:He's not inexperienced mate. And our defence has kept the ball mostly away from Given in the last 6 months. Give or take the odd slip which gives a goal away.

Unless he decides to make some howlers I dont reckon you'll notice any difference, and I dont think he's noted for them. Screaming will be less high pitched though!

I've looked him up and stuff so I know what he's like - but I'm just concerned about his lack of Matches recently. Villa and Spurs are two huge Matches. Mistakes will be punished.

Hart should push Given for #1 next season. If he doesn't then we might lose him.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby HeyMark » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:42 pm

btajim wrote:
HeyMark wrote:I think that double save gets way too much credit. The first save was excellent but he only got to the 2nd because poyet got so little power into his header.

Rubbish. The second shot was going in and he had to be there to stop it.

Isn't that the general rule for all keepers?

[youtube]lciq0SLzQdI[/youtube]

Look at the clip, any sort of decent power on that header and the ball goes in
HeyMark
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby btajim » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:48 pm

HeyMark wrote:
btajim wrote:Rubbish. The second shot was going in and he had to be there to stop it.

No. Most Keepers use their tongue to stop the ball going in.

Look, every person I knew was raving about the double stop on the morning after. You think the Spurs player didn't bother putting enough power on to it because the 'Keeper was too far away?!
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby HeyMark » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:49 pm

btajim wrote:
HeyMark wrote:
btajim wrote:Rubbish. The second shot was going in and he had to be there to stop it.

No. Most Keepers use their tongue to stop the ball going in.

Look, every person I knew was raving about the double stop on the morning after. You think the Spurs player didn't bother putting enough power on to it because the 'Keeper was too far away?!

No I think he didn't generate enough power on it because of the speed and angle of the ball when it came to him!
HeyMark
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby btajim » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:53 pm

HeyMark wrote:No I think he didn't generate enough power on it because of the speed and angle of the ball when it came to him!

Jolly good. Terrible save, though.
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum